Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Gino

Default Good engine story

I'm sure that some who read this will disagree but here goes. My Coupe had a terrible rear oil leak. After much research and quotes as high as $6000 I found this man in Bridgewater Ma. His name is Ed Sheehan. Ed inspected the engine and determined the excessive end play was probably to blame. He put in a different crank with a modern seal, new valves and rings and even painted the engine all for $2500. So my brother and I mounted it on a running stand we fabricated, gave the cord a pull and she fired up quickly. I want to brag about how smoothly she runs. I have four Model A Engines and none of them sound as solid and smooth. I was concerned about just doing a minimal rebuild but Ed was confident and proved to be right. This man is a god send, and just a plain old great guy. If anyone would like his contact info, pm me and I'll be glad to send it along. I just want to share this, should some one else be long in the pocket with an engine problem. Thanks
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
DJ S

Default Re: Good engine story

Great story! Where is he located?
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
Rex_A_Lott

I hope you have better luck with the modern seal than I did. It was good for a while, but it didnt last like I thought it should.
Its nice to hear you found somebody close you can depend on.
Good Luck.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

you can get a quality rebuilt short block from AER for less without the chance of the modern seal failing. those quotes upwards as 6k sounds high,, . i have found its hard to feel engine harmonics on a test stand.
good luck glad it all worked out for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.0 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-12-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
James Rogers

Modern seals never last long.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Pete

Is 2 piece rope considered modern?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
dlfrisch

Gino is in Falmouth, MA his excellent motor guy is in Bridgewater, MA.
We here in the south lands have a good shop also. I must comment a little.
I just had some pretty major engine problems with my '30 - A. Found James Rodgers, Asheville, NC, fairly close to my home land. He rebuilt my motor and did a excellent job. Money charges were right and finished job was on time ! I do and know a lot of mechanical things, I'm retired electrical engineer and after doing business with James, I must say he knows his stuff.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
Gino

I have spoken on the phone with James ( Dreamwerks) and I plan on having him rebuild another of my engines or swap one. My problem at this time is the shipping. I intend to drive to Florida this year or next and plan on dropping off while dropping in. Should be fun. I must ask how long can I expect this modern seal to work? Thanks I know I get the best advice here at the Ford Barn.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
I have spoken on the phone with James ( Dreamwerks) and I plan on having him rebuild another of my engines or swap one. My problem at this time is the shipping. I intend to drive to Florida this year or next and plan on dropping off while dropping in. Should be fun. I must ask how long can I expect this modern seal to work? Thanks I know I get the best advice here at the Ford Barn.
Thanks for the complements dlfrisch. As for the longevity of the modern rear seal, it depends on the seal and how competently it was installed. They mostly all work at first but will fail in short time.

The rope seal is considered a modern seal but the problem with it is, it is not manufactured any more. It will also, tend to deteriorate and get in the pump and move through the system to clog oil transfer holes and cause failures. This was part of dlfrisch's motor along with excessive RTV sealer.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Pete

I contend that any seal PROPERLY installed will last the life of the engine. Mine do.

The main reason for short life and leaks is the seal and the crank are NOT concentric.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Hey Gino,
REREAD Pete's brief statement , in this thread ! The information in that statement, if followed will give best rear main oil sealing of any seal ...ever gave ! However, as others state here also....it depends on the knowledge/skill of the assembler/installer of the modern seal. No one seems to pay attention to what Pete says here and only badmouth the rear modern seal, because 'they' repeat what has become the mantra, i.e.- that type seal does not work ,period ! Guess what...IT DOESN'T work, if not installed correctly. I have a B engine that used a NEW crank where the Ford 'slinger' was not put on this crank (Eubanks). Ergo, the concentricity of crank and modern seal were assured by assembler. This was 2002 and this modern seal does not leak to this day ....over 13 years.
The same modern seals are used on millions of modern cars with modern seals ! It is my understanding that FORD did NOT put a seal into his engine originally. The rodders of the day, back when, were responsible for putting whatever they thought would help them seal and make a better engine for racing ! Thank goodness for rodders, eh !!
Those who like the A pissing on every spot parked on , and proud that 'they are only marking their territory'..like a dog, can put in a properly installed modern seal to stop that behavior, or buy the little tin tray that suppliers sell and hang that under the bell housing..ha !

Last edited by hardtimes; 10-13-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: ..........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Gino

I'm back. Well the work is done, I have the engine from the builder. Are you suggesting I quiz him about his technique? I do know that he had the crank shaft milled. Would that not make the crank shaft concentrical to the new seal? Thanks Gino. Also James I don't expect you remember me but I spoke with you about 2 years ago.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
I'm back. Well the work is done, I have the engine from the builder. Are you suggesting I quiz him about his technique? I do know that he had the crank shaft milled. Would that not make the crank shaft concentrical to the new seal? Thanks Gino. Also James I don't expect you remember me but I spoke with you about 2 years ago.
'quiz' about technique ? Well, now that you hopefully have more knowledge to work with...it's your money being spent Heck yeah, I'd ask if he knows/practices the principal. I would be surprised it he is installing same and hasn't studied up on it ! BTW, when I buy my one piece modern rear (Burtz) seals, they come with a very detailed /long winded instruction sheet. Get a copy and read/understand it. You will see what it tells an assembler what HAS to be done for successful use of modern seal. I just finished another B shortblock with modern seal. Let us know how things work out.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
James Rogers

Quote:
If you quiz him, what can be done now that the deed is done and the money spent?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
Gino

Yup, James is right. I'll have the engine back in the Coupe in about three weeks. I'll run it. I'll put the date on my chalkboard and if I don't get Ebola I'll bring this up after a year with an update. Thanks for all the help.