Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2023, 09:59 AM   #41
ndnchf

Default Re: Generator charging problem update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Of course, without removing the wrappings around the field coils, I don't think I'd be able to compare wire sizes. The number of segments on the armature's commutator appears to be the same as on my other 6-volt armatures.
Marshall

Can you just swap in another set if field coils? That would quickly confirm or clear the coils as the problem.
ndnchf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 11:48 AM   #42
Marshall V. Daut

Unfortunately, I don't have another usable pair. Not the most fun things to remove and install, so I'd rather only do it once per generator.
I do have other armatures ready to go, although of the later style for the bushing in the brush plate. Today I'll install one of those proven armatures with the later brush plate in this generator case, reattaching the wires the way they are supposed to be oriented. This will isolate the generator housing with new field coils. If the armature rotates backwards again, then I can be sure that the field coils were wrapped incorrectly. If, however, the rotation is correct and the generator motors and charges, I must cast a suspicious glance at the armature that came inside this generator.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:09 PM   #43
ndnchf

I understand what a pain it is to change field coils. I used to struggle with them until I made a proper rig to remove and install them. Here is a short video showing my rig. Changing coils is now a breeze. Since you like working on generators, you might want to make something similar.

https://youtu.be/aQTjMXQffvY?si=QUYIiGuO9XVn2Y26

If you isolate your problem to the coils, I have a set of original coils that I rewired and rewrapped. I'll send them to you. Or you can send your generator case to me and I'll swap them.

Steve

Last edited by ndnchf; 09-11-2023 at 04:29 PM.
ndnchf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:26 PM   #44
Marshall V. Daut

Thanks, "ndnchf", for the kind offer. I worked some more on the darned thing today, but had to quit before I took a BFH to it. I think some progress was made, however. I encountered a new problem while trying to install a different armature in this generator case. The commutators on two of them are much bigger in diameter than on the one I removed. The brush holders could not be pulled back far enough to allow the armature to seat in the brush plate. WTF????
In desperation, I took the whole darned generator apart AGAIN, except for the field coils. Everything looked ok. The insulators on the brush plate are in place and doing their job. Nothing else seemed out of place or broken. I switched the field leads back to the way I usually install them, reassembled the whole mess and bench tested it. This time, the armature spun in the correct direction!!! What had changed? Testing it on the engine while running, I had to flash the points cutout to get the generator to charge. It began charging, so crossing my fingers, I swapped cutouts and put on one of the electronic cutouts and started the engine. To my surprise, the generator kept charging at 10amps. BUT - moving the third brush made no difference in the charging rate, as it usually does. I did notice when bench testing the reassembled generator that moving the third brush did not change the speed of the spinning armature, as it had been doing all along. Again I ask, WTF??? Now the generator charges, but cannot be adjusted??? Checking the generator again, one of the wire ends pulled loose from its connector. That was a GOOD sign to walk away from this thing for a day or two.
I think all I have done is exchange one set of problems for another. Can't I somehow just end up in the middle with a properly functioning generator???
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 09-11-2023 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:29 PM   #45
J Franklin

Marshall, Isn't your dilemma one of Murphy's laws?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 09:49 PM   #46
Marshall V. Daut

Yup - Trade one problem for a new one without solving either. Murphy's (and Marshall's!) Corollary #86.
M.
P.S. "86" is bartender language for cutting off an overserved customer. That's why Mel Brooks/Buck Henry named Maxwell Smart "Agent 86" in "Get Smart", an insider's joke. More useless trivia for youse guys.