Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Doug

Default 1954 Ford 3-Speed OD Trans. Fits What Other Years?

I have a Ford 3-Speed OD Transmission that was removed from a Restored
1954 Ford Coupe. I plan to list it to sell on The Ford Barn Swap Meet.
Question: What Other Years (if any) does this transmission fit?
For example: 1955?, '56?.....1949?, '50?, '51?.....1952?, '53?.....Thanks.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: 1954 Ford 3-Speed OD Trans. Fits What Other Years?

Should work on a 52-55 the length was the same and all were 6 volt and the splines were also the same. Might want to post it here too. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...s-for-sale.47/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

The gearbox itself will probably bolt up to any '52 thru at least '59 Ford Y-block or I-block bellhousing and rear extension housings can be swapped from '52-56 (not because of length) but because these have the same speedo driven gear orientation. The 57 thru 59 rotate the speedo cable backwards so they can't be used on '52-'56 cars (unless plugging in a Thunderbird speedo cable) which reverses the rotation back.
Also, the '52-'56 speedo drive gears have the worm teeth oriented properly only for '52-56 speedo cable/gear assemblies. The '57-'59 speedo drive gear is wound in opposite direction.
In order to use a '52-56 trans in a '57 or later car, one would need to get a '57 and later speedo drive gear and mating '57 and later speedo cable/gear assembly and also swap out the aluminum rear extension housing with a '57 and later housing. If this is not done, the '57 or later car speedometer will not register speed or mileage. It is disabled.
Not sure about front splines but I believe all the standard trans of the era fit the same clutch and there were several clutch sizes available (but you had to have the flywheel that fit that clutch housing as they used different bolt circles).
Pretty sure all the rear splines were same too, but the Fordomatic trans had different splines. Even if they did not match a driveshaft front yoke, you could always get a front yoke to match the trans tailshaft and put it on your driveshaft.
I believe Ford had different bellhousings for the V8 and 6-cyl, the V8 having a larger bolt circle to bolt to the back of engine block. Not 100% sure.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
rotorwrench

As I mentioned on the early V8 side, a person needs identify what you have first. A photo would be good. Ford R10 or later 259 series is most likely but it could also be a T85 R11 or a T86 R10. All of these transmissions were used by Ford in the 50s.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote