Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
TPR1930

Default Transmission noise

I would appreciate thoughts on the noise I hear coming from my transmission. For background, my car was restored about 30 years ago, and I don’t know if there was ever an engine or transmission rebuild. I have owned it for the last 5 years, and this noise has always been present for me. The car runs very well. I would describe the sound as a jangling, rattle that happens only between 30 and 35 m.p.h. This is during all states of operation, i.e. acceleration, cruising, slow-down, incline, decline and on level road. At all other speeds (I don’t really drive above 45 m.p.h.), it is silent. When I push in the clutch, the noise will disappear. The speedometer works, and I have lubricated its cable; I’ve greased the through-out bearing; I’ve flushed the transmission and filled it with the proper fluid. As an aside, I always feel a slight vibration in the shifting tower when moving, and note that these vibrations are in-sync with my noise when it is happening.
TPR1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
Pat/Ohio

Default Re: Transmission noise

When I first adopted my '30 Town Sedan, I noticed a rather loud annoying drivetrain noise coming from around the transmission also. It had been restored many years ago and sat for 5 years or so before I acquired it. The noise started at around 30 mph and up. With mine the noised persisted even with the clutch in. I lubed everything I could find and pumped a lot of John Deere cornhead grease into the universal joint (clam shell). I don't notice any noise now. If you haven't lubed your universal joint in a while...you might try that.

Stay Safe!
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
Mulletwagon

Yep, U-Joint would be the primary suspect to investigate first. Since they are a hassle to change (must pull the rear axle) they are often past their service life. Finding a quality replacement unit can be challenging.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
TPR1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
When I first adopted my '30 Town Sedan, I noticed a rather loud annoying drivetrain noise coming from around the transmission also. It had been restored many years ago and sat for 5 years or so before I acquired it. The noise started at around 30 mph and up. With mine the noised persisted even with the clutch in. I lubed everything I could find and pumped a lot of John Deere cornhead grease into the universal joint (clam shell). I don't notice any noise now. If you haven't lubed your universal joint in a while...you might try that.

Stay Safe!
Pat
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I filled the clam shell with a whole 14 oz. tube of Cornhead grease, clearly it needed it (so glad I did.) Just had the car out for two hours, and find that the noise is still audible between 30 - 35 m.p.h. I'll keep on top of it and try to be prepared for anything.
TPR1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Werner

Do you also feel vibrations?

Is that noise also in neutral gear if you gradually increase the rpm? Maybe an imbalance in the clutch basket?

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPR1930 View Post
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I filled the clam shell with a whole 14 oz. tube of Cornhead grease, clearly it needed it (so glad I did.) Just had the car out for two hours, and find that the noise is still audible between 30 - 35 m.p.h. I'll keep on top of it and try to be prepared for anything.

I should also mention that after I pumped about 1 tube of cornhead grease, my car also still made the driveline noise. It wasn't until the car sat for the winter that the noise went away. I am thinking it takes a little time for the cornhead grease to settle into the "nooks & crannys" of the universal joint. Good Luck!

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote