Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2020, 02:01 AM   #1
Karl

Default Condenser Miss -Sort Of

For the last few months I have been plagued by an intermittent miss in my 34 . Seemed to occur under load and be worse when hot - I have posted on here regards this before. Changing out the coil , condenser and distributor gave no improvement I suspected the resistor but had good voltage to the coil when running . In desperation I changed out the fuel pump and even the carburetor. Nothing solved the problem . Good compression and vacuum ok so I thought valves were ok -I was at the end of my tether -it sounded and felt so much like a condenser even to the odd back fire but replacing the condenser with good tested units didn't help Well tonight I found it !!!

My helmet coil is fitted with a noise elimination condenser for the radio. This sits between two of the coil screws and connects to the power feed to the coil . What I think has been happening is the noise suppression condenser is intermittently shorting out to earth when hot resulting in a drop in coil voltage . and missing -Never heard of this before but the miss has gone away with disconnection of this condenser -The radio still plays fine with no interference!

I've been tricked thinking its fixed before but after 1 hours driving all is good so far

Karl
Old 03-12-2020, 02:58 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: Condenser Miss -Sort Of

Karl, my experience with radio suppressors is the condenser types which are fitted to the coil supply or ignition resistor or fuel gauge/instruments or ignition switch are not required as shown in the ford manuals. Most of these condensers are by now quite old and not up to their original specs. The only suppressors required are those in the spark plug leads or ignition coil high tension lead. These are a resistor type and not condensers. Now that was a good find Karl so 10 points for that. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:47 AM   #3
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Karl, my experience with radio suppressors is the condenser types which are fitted to the coil supply or ignition resistor or fuel gauge/instruments or ignition switch are not required as shown in the ford manuals. Most of these condensers are by now quite old and not up to their original specs. The only suppressors required are those in the spark plug leads or ignition coil high tension lead. These are a resistor type and not condensers. Now that was a good find Karl so 10 points for that. Regards, Kevin.
Yes feels good to have found it. But I'm really fed up with pulling and re fitting the distributor and coil. Their location was not Henry's best work especially with the big hands I have !! Poor old Henry has been subjected to a fair bit of abuse from me over the last few weeks. Removing the generator/fan and using a couple of temporary loosely fitted studs in the distributor bolt holes to align the distributor unit and tang helps a lot -Karl
Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
RobR'35

I had a run issue a few years back that drove me crazy like how your issue was to you.
A few months it took on and off till finally I figured it out.
Distributor on/off, making all contacts clean, carburetor check, fuel pump check ect.............
Then on day for a ride on a back road it flooded out of the blue. Now how in the world I thought!
Pull out the tool box, check the float on the side of the road. Stromberg 97. 90°, humid, between farm fields not a speck of shade for a ways away.
Leaving the top off the 97, checking/adjusting the float, ignition switch off and turn her over. Still it flooded!
Well I thought, I'll pull and check the needle and seat.
Gross jet, and there it was!!
I had gas rated hose with a tee and a pressure gauge between the pump and carburetor.
Fine shavings of rubber were caught between the steel balls and seat of the gross jet. With a small piece of wire and blowing through it, with sweat pouring off I was able to clean it out.
Install it, check the float before putting the top back on. All good. Top back on, linkage hooked up.
Once I fired her up and went it had way more power and has never given me a problem since.
Oh..... once home I put the original style steel line back on.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote