Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
kooljunkguy

Default Requirements for a Miller OHV?

I was able to run into a complete, good 1936 Miller Hi-Speed Head and I was wondering what the requirements are for the engine you put it on.
Are inserts recommended or is babbit okay? Which one will last the longest?
Does it need full pressure oil or any other mods to the oiling system?
I’ve never worked with overhead valve conversions before so I was wondering what exactly needs to be done to the engine in order to run one reliably and safely.
kooljunkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
denis4x4

Default Re: Requirements for a Miller OHV?

I have a 1935 CRAGAR on a B engine. Babbit bearings and a counterweight crank. No pressurized oil or cooling. Engine has headers, FS ignition, Weber carb, V8 clutch and lightened flywheel. Everything has been dynamically balanced. Dyno run provided 59 HP at the rear wheels.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
Synchro909

The best thing you can do with that head is send it to me! I'll sort all that out.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:05 AM   #4
kooljunkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
I have a 1935 CRAGAR on a B engine. Babbit bearings and a counterweight crank. No pressurized oil or cooling. Engine has headers, FS ignition, Weber carb, V8 clutch and lightened flywheel. Everything has been dynamically balanced. Dyno run provided 59 HP at the rear wheels.
How do you like it? The guy that I’m getting it from also has a Charlie Yapp Riley 2-Port and I was also wondering if that might be the better option... but I have a soft spot for real original speed equipment!

-
1931 Model A Standard Phaeton
1929 Model A Pickup
Old 12-31-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
Jim Brierley

I agree with Dennis, babbitt is good, no pressure is needed unless you run much over 4,000 RPM's. I've run 153 MPH on babbitt, on the Bonneville Salt flats. If the Yapp 2-port has not been run before, I'd stay away from it. An engine builder in Whittier once told me that they take a lot of work before installing them. Check the Cragar carefully for cracks, they have a history of that but many are very good.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I agree with Dennis, babbitt is good, no pressure is needed unless you run much over 4,000 RPM's. I've run 153 MPH on babbitt, on the Bonneville Salt flats. If the Yapp 2-port has not been run before, I'd stay away from it. An engine builder in Whittier once told me that they take a lot of work before installing them. Check the Cragar carefully for cracks, they have a history of that but many are very good.
Any chance you could post the name of the builder (I am looking for one)? If he doesn't want his name posted (it would be good advertising for him) could you ask what kind of problems he had? I have one still in the box with serial number about 80. If I remember correctly the first 50 didn't have the oil passages drilled, are there other thing to watch out for?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
kooljunkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Thanks Jim, that’s exactly what I wanted to know! I will check carefully, he sent me a few pictures and it seems to be in good shape, I’ll see when I get there

-
1931 Model A Standard Phaeton
1929 Model A Pickup
Old 01-01-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
Jim Brierley

Charlie, The builder passed away several years ago, and the business was sold so can't contact him, sorry! He didn't go into any details with me. I have seen a few on the road, very few, in spite of the large numbers Yapp claims. Joe Sivils at Turlock Machine may be of some help, he builds some pretty good engines.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote