Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2019, 04:07 AM   #1
Karl

Default 1934 Headlights Speedway/Bob Drake

Having just brought a nice set of original and seemingly ding free headlights on Ebay -Only to have the seller cancel the transaction (after I had paid) refund my payment and the relist them and sell them, for more (Ugh!!!) I find myself on the look out for a set of headlights
Can some one please tell me what the repo Bob Drake /Speedway Lights are like Specifically
1. Are they a Good copy (ie undetectable from original when installed )
and
2. Do the original reflectors fit and work properly in the light or do you have to use the reflectors they come with (my original reflectors are great its just the dents in the body of the light that annoy me! ).
Thanks Karl
Old 04-09-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: 1934 Headlights Speedway/Bob Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Having just brought a nice set of original and seemingly ding free headlights on Ebay -Only to have the seller cancel the transaction (after I had paid) refund my payment and the relist them and sell them, for more (Ugh!!!) I find myself on the look out for a set of headlights
Can some one please tell me what the repo Bob Drake /Speedway Lights are like Specifically
1. Are they a Good copy (ie undetectable from original when installed )
and
2. Do the original reflectors fit and work properly in the light or do you have to use the reflectors they come with (my original reflectors are great its just the dents in the body of the light that annoy me! ).
Thanks Karl

Karl,
Maybe try Barnfind 8 on here. he could possibly have some NOS.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Trekemeyer

I might have a set I think they are what you want send me a picture of what they look like came on a rat rod I had tom 518 573 7447
Trekemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
DavidG

Why not give your existing headlamp to someone who knows how to remove the dents? They're out there, likely even in New Zealand.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
35fordtn

Karl,
I have a older set of Vintique repros. They are actually very nice.. The Ford script and letters stamped into the top are a bit too defined, but otherwise very nice.. I will likely use them on my 34 Station Wagon if I ever get around to it, as I have had several places quote restoring a original pair, and the cheapest quote I was given was $600
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
deuce lover

Mike, $600 is a lot IMO. Does that include replated reflectors and rewired?.I used to do 30-34 SS head lights yrs ago.Depending on the amount of dings or dents I would do a pair in 2-4 hrs. Buffing them out another 4 hrs maximum.To bad I am so far away or I would start doing them again at 1/2 that for just the buckets and rings.

Last edited by deuce lover; 04-09-2019 at 01:50 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
koates

Karl, the repop 34 headlights are very nice generally. One difference which is easy to spot is on the rims. The original rims have a more curved edge around the front of the rim whereas the repops have a more squared profile on the front edge of the rim. This sticks out like dogs b...s and its a pity this was not corrected in the original spinning die for the rims. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote