Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Vendors that post here

I like seeing vendors post here. To me it shows that they are concerned with the needs of customers. They read about crap parts (and hopefully do something about it). The answer questions about how to replace parts and if they are really in need of replacement. They speak to their "adventures" in the hobby.

I have said over and over we should buy from vendors that are active in the actual hands on part of or hobby.

And of course that goes for the repair/rebuilders end as well!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
inex01

Default Re: Vendors that post here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I like seeing vendors post here. To me it shows that they are concerned with the needs of customers. They read about crap parts (and hopefully do something about it). The answer questions about how to replace parts and if they are really in need of replacement. They speak to their "adventures" in the hobby.

I have said over and over we should buy from vendors that are active in the actual hands on part of or hobby.

And of course that goes for the repair/rebuilders end as well!
Mike I really do agree with you, it is a real benefit for all of us especially in relationship to poor quality parts
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

For this example, let's just lump me in as a "vendor" for this little topic. I am NOT for it, and personally choose to refrain from solicitation here simply because I feel this forum is more for hobbyist-to-hobbyist interaction. I, ...like several others here, are hobbyists too and own/drive our Model-As on tour. That is why we are here. Therefore we are participating here as a hobbyist first but with the experience of a professional. Not all vendors own a Model-A (restored or otherwise).

Why I feel this becomes a slippery slope is when a site becomes full of business ads from vendors promoting their product, to me it is much like the annoying computer pop-up ads we all despise. How do you regulate who is posting too many promotional ads? Does it become a competition amongst vendors for post content?

Let me site an example. Since James Rogers and I are very close friends --yet competitors in the engine business, I am going to use him as an example because I know he won't care. Suppose he writes a post showing how he installs valves in a Model-A block, and then offers a promotional sale ($$ discount for 30 days). Next I perceive this to be a business advantage,and since I use a different machine to do my valve work, I post another thread showing my methods, showcasing my machines, and talking about why I perceive my method/machine is better. Now you have Rich Fallucca (another friend!) reading both of these posts and now maybe he feels obligated to interject his thoughts & processes to keep market share over us two "characters"! From there the Gulbankians deserve the right to post, along with a dozen others. Soon the posts turn into a perceived competition for marketshare. Is that really what we want here?

One thing to remember is a forum is many things to many people. I don't have the spare time to devote like I once did and many others come here with limited time to browse/lurk. Like pointed out in another recent thread, many use this forum as a way/game to learn about troubleshooting and repairing their Model-A, and they read topics to see if their thoughts on the process are the same as others who have first-hand experience with that task. This is great for the hobby as it promotes 'restoration' knowledge and varied aspects on driving the Model-A. This knowledge and confidence the forum reader gets here is likely shared when a fellow hobbyist has a breakdown on tour, or needs a helping hand in their garage. A vendor will always have an answer why his 'widget' or 'service' has an advantage over is competitor. It really would not solve the "poor quality" issue so often spoken about here. That is solved by customers and their control over their wallet. I find most speak one way but choose another when spending their $$. If that weren't true, then the vendor would go out of business selling the inferior products.

Again, my view is that is likely more important to a reader than knowing what item(s) a vendor has for sale or what new item they have on the market.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 07-22-2014 at 07:06 AM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
denis4x4

Mike V said,
"I have said over and over we should buy from vendors that are active in the actual hands on part of or hobby."

That's all well and good, but I'm more concerned about the bad-mouthing of certain reproduction parts as well as the vendors who sell them. I recently ordered a new gas gauge. Compared to the original, it was crap. So, I carefully cleaned up the original, used the gaskets that came with the repro and put it back in the tank. Works fine. Unlike some here, I'm not going to post a rant on the product or accuse the vendor or trying to cheat me.

I do recognize some vendor posts that offer factual info without pushing their business interests. When most of the vendors all offer repro parts from a common source, it's unproductive to bad mouth them over a particular product.

The OP is offering a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Bill Stipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
For this example, let's just lump me in as a "vendor" for this little topic. I am NOT for it, and personally choose to refrain from solicitation here simply because I feel this forum is more for hobbyist-to-hobbyist interaction. I, ...like several others here, are hobbyists too and own/drive our Model-As on tour. That is why we are here. Therefore we are participating here as a hobbyist first but with the experience of a professional. Not all vendors own a Model-A (restored or otherwise).

Why I feel this becomes a slippery slope is when a site becomes full of business ads from vendors promoting their product, to me it is much like the annoying computer pop-up ads we all despise. How do you regulate who is posting too many promotional ads? Does it become a competition amongst vendors for post content?
Brent, I hope I didn't step out of bounds with my post on Lever shocks, I only want to let everyone know that this will be the end of them unless by some miracle I can make them by myself once I retire (and I hope very soon).

I want to work on my own cars and project before I become to old and crippled to do that.

Last edited by Bill Stipe; 07-23-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Bill Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stipe View Post
Brent, I hope I didn't step out of bounds with my post on Lever shocks, I only want to let everyone know that this will be the end of them unless by some miracle I can make them by myself once I retire (and I hope very soon).

I what to work on my own cars and project before I become to old and crippled to do that.
I'm not Brent but you are not out of bounds. And your quality parts will be missed. I like to tell it like it is. If I get bad parts I see no reason not to talk about it. How else will people find out what is bad. If I get good parts I see no reason not to talk about them. You have many good parts that you sell.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
I'm not Brent but you are not out of bounds. And your quality parts will be missed. I like to tell it like it is. If I get bad parts I see no reason not to talk about it. How else will people find out what is bad. If I get good parts I see no reason not to talk about them. You have many good parts that you sell.
Hey George,
Well said and I subscribe to your input on this important matter. For example: Take Bill Stipe, if he hadn't posted here/now about his great products (shocks in this instance), there would be some very disappointed Barners, including me. I have patronized the Stipe product brand and promoted his GREAT product, craftsmanship and professionalism whenever possible. We talk about praising those who make good product/service, so that other people can benefit also. I just spoke to Bill. He is such a gentleman and good businessman to do business with. If I'm going to spend money on Model A/B stuff, I know that my money is well spent buying Stipe products. Hope You do not retire from this hobby Bill..for selfish reasons,eh !!

BTW...such good comments , about Stipe quality work, coming from machinist the likes of George...is worth noting !!

Last edited by hardtimes; 07-22-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: ...........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

I don't ever remember seeing things such as flat out advertising in a great while. I have seen questions asked and vendors chiming in as to what they have to offer.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Bill in Al

I think you "vendors" missed Mike V's point. He and most of the rest of us enjoy and appreciate the help all of you give us without any sell effort. You've been doing fine and I for one hope you all continue doing as you have. Am I right with this post Mike?
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
clay co 27

vendors that post here
it is a two edged sword, i have no answer
clay co 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
Fred K-OR

I think Brent has the correct ideas about the role of vendors. But on the other hand when a vendor sees us talking about a subject and we are off the "deep end" of that subject and they can get us back on track, I think that type of info is very important.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Al View Post
I think you "vendors" missed Mike V's point. He and most of the rest of us enjoy and appreciate the help all of you give us without any sell effort. You've been doing fine and I for one hope you all continue doing as you have. Am I right with this post Mike?
Yes Bill 100%.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #13
firetique57

I have to agree with Mike V. on this. I just moved from Ohio to North Carolina late last year. I had no contacts or resources to use because I was so new to the area. Earlier this year I had a rear spring perch that had a piece missing and couldn't find anyone willing to try welding it. I jumped on the site here to put out the help call to see if anyone knew someone who could repair my spring perch. Up popped James Rogers who responded "easy fix bring it over!" So I did. James had me taken care of in less that 15 minutes and wouldn't let me pay him for the repair or his time. He gave me a tour of his shop and explained what he does and showed me a couple current projects...never tried to sell me anything at any time. When I left I knew I had found the person I want to rebuild my engine when I'm ready. All this because a fellow Model A'r who is also a vendor was here to help!
firetique57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

James Rogers is indeed a class guy ! A vendor you can trust and rely on.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:06 AM   #15
Charlville

You guys are lucky so many vendors to discuss, fingers of one hand over here, but good nonetheless
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #16
jimalabam

Brent: As long as the vendor does not post an actual ad, what is wrong with a "qualified" advice in the discussion???
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/Alabam View Post
Brent: As long as the vendor does not post an actual ad, what is wrong with a "qualified" advice in the discussion???

Nothing at all!! I guess I misunderstood the purpose of Mike's post. Maybe it is because I already know/knew that many vendors or manufacturers are already here, ....but just like many others, they are lurking in the background choosing to answer questions or take care of issues privately.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #18
Bill in Al

Yep-and Thanks!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
Ted Duke

I like the vendor's here. Their help is invaluable even when I don't ask the question. As long as they don't criticize each other or get into FIST FIGHTS. LOL
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #20
zzlegend

Yep, Bill stipe and Steve from Berts are great. They always have good info. Thanks to both of them and the others.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote