Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #81
Vic Piano

Default Re: Art vs. History

I had a bunch of my "art", drawings, etc., as I took art classes every year from 6th grade through 12th. My brother, ten years my junior, destroyed most of my art, model car collection and record collection, while I was away in the Army... I did manage to salvage a few things but they've been packed away for years... I'll have to go diggin' to see what I can come up with...
Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #82
SUHRsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

SUHRsc does some very nice clean illustration, I really like his work.
Thank you!!
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #83
41ford1

That is definitely a work of art. A thing of beauty

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #84
Fe26

[Quote] If you took the Mona Lisa, cut it up to make your art piece and you made it better then yes it could be considered artistic, but if you made it worse well...

[Quote] I didn't think that I alluded to just one medium.

You didn’t make the comment about the purpose of materials. You said in reply to another post “Interesting point.” I made a comment on your comment about the original uninteresting comment.

To use your analogy of the Mona Lisa: Your premise is flawed. If an artist re-purposed the Mona Lisa to make an artwork superior to the original then that would be justified in your view. However if the result was lesser than the original then you would fault the attempt. If the ‘failed attempt’ is still art then it is a subjective opinion that you would use to decide success or not. Whatever the result the result is still art, and whatever kind of art you wish to call it does not and cannot devalue that fact.

To allude to your point I have used as an example an artist you have mentioned and a painting you have mentioned, namely, Marcel Duchamp and the Mona Lisa.

Duchamp made the original of his re-purposing on a Postcard of the Mona Lisa. The right image is a version made for Marcel Duchamp by Francis Picabia. So here we have an image of an image of an image. In the eyes of the conservative art critics of the time, Duchamp’s re-purposing was akin to heresy. But it is still art. Incidentally Duchamp’s wry humour poked a stick at conventional art by adding the moustache and the letters L.H.O.O.Q which are a clever pun. When pronounced in French the letters sound like “Elle a chaud au col” or, ‘She has a hot arse.’ In 1919 this was ‘Rat rod’ art. As the art critic Robert Hughes said, ‘this art was the Shock Of The New’ perhaps this is why more people look at Rat rods than other cars at Car Shows. They may not know much about art, but they know what they like.

Last edited by Fe26; 06-19-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #85
BILL WZOREK

How about this senarel (sp.)
A beautiful / beautiful Girl dies,is a organ donor The doctor has her hart in his hands but only has a ugly / very ugly person to put it in.
? Should he put the hart into the ugly person or should he wait for a beautful person to maybe come along ?
IMHO Not all of Henrys cars were Beautiful , some should be let to DIE.
~ Oboy now I opened a can of worms ~
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #86
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
How about this senarel (sp.)
A beautiful / beautiful Girl dies,is a organ donor The doctor has her hart in his hands but only has a ugly / very ugly person to put it in.
? Should he put the hart into the ugly person or should he wait for a beautful person to maybe come along ?
IMHO Not all of Henrys cars were Beautiful , some should be let to DIE.
~ Oboy now I opened a can of worms ~

Wow, now that is some crazy stuff. Biological "art" v. a moral dilema v. human flaws.

That sounds like a great idea for a short film. A doctor makes life or death decision based on someone's physical appearance.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #87
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
That is definitely a work of art. A thing of beauty
Yep, Zach is a very talented young man.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #88
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Wow, now that is some crazy stuff. Biological "art" v. a moral dilema v. human flaws.

That sounds like a great idea for a short film. A doctor makes life or death decision based on someone's physical appearance.
Tim:
It was said in "jest" to show that some guys feel it is life & death and not just in the eyes of the beholder if it is or isn't a thing of beauty.

Now I am Quoting a Barner here ~~ it is just a HOBBY ~~
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #89
Tinker

Fe26, you really what to call that truck a work of art don't ya.

Duchamp was the godfather of conceptual art as well as a dadaist (which we mentioned before "the artist decides what is art"). Where the idea is more important then the actual physical piece. So if you just cut up the Mona Lisa and put it together again without an idea to support why you would do it, then it is just vandalism. Or maybe that is the idea, a poor one in my opinion and probably wouldn't get you much accolade. Certainly some time in the clinker. If you are the 1st artist to have the idea then it is important. If you are the 5th, 20th, 1,000th then it could be considered passe'.

I'm thinking of the most incredible art car of all time. It shall amaze the most skeptical and critical. It will fuse history and art. It will bend light and travel time. Constructed entirely of thought and waves of invisible jellybeans.

and now, here it is.

I'll just add this and remain quiet on this subject. As I'm sure you would all appreciate that.

Self Expression is not exclusion to Art or being Artistic. If I wear baggy pants or put bullballs on the hitch of my truck is it art? Or is it a product of self expression. Wearing baggy pants does not make you an artist nor is the pants itself art. It is a fashion/cultural statement on who you are.

If he or she has fun with it, then that is all that matters.

Have a great day guys.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-20-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: sp
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #90
Old Henry

A few more pictures of the subject work of art that I found on the show photographer's facebook page. Not as close up as I would have liked to shows the consistent theme of the piece all around including the interior but it give you more of an idea of the "illusion" and message of the piece. It reminds me of how the illusions of time and place are created in Disnyland when all aspects of the creation are consistent with the theme and turn out to "mean something" whatever that is.

See if you can guess what the grill came off of. The WWII headlight blackout shades actually swing down to function.

The oil can has no function except to add to the "illusion" but the skull tank is the coolant recovery tank.

I still hope to get over to the owner's house and get some real closeups.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #91
Vic Piano

That grill is from a '36 Hudson Terraplane.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #92
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
That grill is from a '36 Hudson Terraplane.

Kind of fits the "personality" of the truck. Makes it look like a grumpy old man or a transformer-type of creature.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #93
Vic Piano

that grill on a '36 Hudson Terraplane looks very sharp... On that truck, not so much... from my point of view...
Old 06-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #94
Royal Ryser

Like some say, "It' so ugly, it's cute."
It could be that some of anti-rat rod people are a bit jealous of all of the attention these things get. When displayed with a lot of "restored" cars, they really stand out. Really eye-catching.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #95
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post

The oil can has no function except to add to the "illusion" but the skull tank is the coolant recovery tank.

Has no function? Where else are you supposed to carry the oil one might need while traveling in an isolated area?
Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #96
Chisel

Whatever you art experts say it is, it's still a big pile of shit.

Evil Lurks...for those that don't carry a side arm!!!
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 AM   #97
A bones

Reading this thread I keep going back to check the question. I'm a big fan of TEHO, but Henry asks what is the greater draw. I believe this: It really is a matter of age, Those of us who identify with what was, aren't getting much pleasure from a ride that ignores the blend of function with form. Or put another way, if you have come to this show appreciating that the pinnacle, zenith, apex, or acme of personal mobility is behind us...then Ratrod or even Hyper-car are not 'doing it' for us. To be sure, go up and down the radio dial in a populous area and it becomes evident that our numbers are dwindling. LONG LIVE THE FORD BARN!
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #98
Ben38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
Whatever you art experts say it is, it's still a big pile of shit.
At least it's got a flathead!
Ben38 is online now   Reply With Quote