Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #1
midgetracer

Default Lincoln Bomb sight wheel balancer

Does anyone out there have instructions for a Lincoln Bomb Sight Model 7471 wheel balancer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
heneste

Default Re: Lincoln Bomb sight wheel balancer

The only literature I could find on Lincoln bomb sight balancer was the following http://www.lincolnindustrial.com/his...elBalancer.pdf. (but it looks like it's mentioning model 7571)
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
midgetracer

Thank you. This helps a lot. I see I am missing the centering cone, and that is why I will not be able to use this unit.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Spirit level static balance devices basically all work the same way. With the lever in balance head locked position, you adjust the legs to get the machine level. A mounted wheel can then be installed. Unlock the balance head and find the light side by the bubble position. Using the weight scale, apply pressure to the edge of the tire with the scale and adjust till the spirit level is at zero dead center. Read the scale and it will tell you how much weight to add.

These machines were almost overkill. If a person has the weights at hand, they can just lay the weights on the rim until it's balanced. It doesn't take long to static balance a mounted wheel. If you want the weights on the inside, you just hold a string from the weight center over the top of the tread down to the other side to get the placement for inside mounting of weights. Most of them were designed to work with smaller passenger car & light truck wheels. The big truck stuff would need different equipment.

Most of these type units had a centering cone underneath the wheel that was spring loaded so that just about any size wheel center hole would fit the machine. Wide fives are an obvious exception. At the point that the cone matched the wheel center, the rest of it would push down to allow the hub face of the wheel to set flat on the rim of the balance head. This type unit likely has the cone pushed down from the top with no spring. You could get a centering cone fabricated to fit from a machine shop with a decent size lathe. They can turn tapers if they have the right tooling. Or find another cone and have the center hole bored to fit.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-28-2020 at 11:02 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #5
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Thank you. This helps a lot. I see I am missing the centering cone, and that is why I will not be able to use this unit.
Swear I've seen these back in the day.
Found this pic.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

I don't have a Lincoln, but I have a Craftsman if that helps. Instructions are still in the box.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
rotorwrench

That was how it was done by most shops from the early 70s on back. Front end shops had the dynamic spin balance equipment to do the whole rotating assembly together on the car. This needed when a static balance doesn't cure the shakes. The modern wheel spin balance machines still only do the wheel assembly. They wont help if there is a drum or rotor out of balance.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote