Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
sconnors

Default Re: No Frills Back To Basics

I'll probably leave it red then if that's the way it's supposed to be! Gonna work on doing the wheels back to black next year. Wondering if I should paint the chrome or just look for black replacements at swap meets this year?
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
AL in NY

Don't know about painting the buckets and radiator shell but I powder coated my stone guard black to match everything else.

No, I'm not from the area but have been that way many times.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
hdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
Previous edition of judging standards states:
28-30 closed cap(82-A) - inside cab - body color painted finish
30-31 closed cap(82-B) - inside cab - body color or black painted finish
If I read this right, on the 82-B the interior could have either been body color or all black?

Does this apply to the back of the cabin and the moulding around the black window? Or would the moulding have been black always?
hdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
AL in NY

The way I interpret the judging standards, that means the entire interior of the cab could be painted black. The rear window trim is ALWAYS painted black
Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
hdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
The way I interpret the judging standards, that means the entire interior of the cab could be painted black. The rear window trim is ALWAYS painted black
Thanks!
hdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Joe K

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I never knew that about the interior being black.
Seems like it would have been cheaper to make it body color.
Wots this "book" that says it was all black?

IMHO, the bodies were painted green (or possibly some fleet color) and this the general part that could be done easily as a unit - doors, seat frames, interior doorposts. Not rubbed out except the custom colors MIGHT be.

THEN, parts were pre-painted in gloss black and then physically applied to the shell: windshield garnish, windshield, dash rail, window rail, window garnish, delivery pocket behind the doorposts, rear window frame/garnish.

The interior appointments that were chrome, like the dash, could be either chrome or painted black along with the parts applied. This depended more on whether the dash or brake/shift handle had defects that needed to be covered up - Ford threw away NOTHING that could be sold.

THEN the interior covering was applied. Mostly brown for 28-20 and black leatherette for 30-31. The seats matched the interior covering.

THEN the roof was put on including the ribs (plain), black muslin, padding, roof materials.

Dunno. Construction of the trucks was at best VARIABLE, even between US production facilities. Overseas even more so.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 04-21-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

"The interior appointments that were chrome, like the dash, could be either chrome or painted black along with the parts applied. This depended more on whether the dash or brake/shift handle had defects that needed to be covered up - Ford threw away NOTHING that could be sold."

Where does this information come from? I've never known of a black instument panel, nor heard that Ford would use a defective part. Instrument panels used with an oval speedometer were dull nickel plated steel. There was some talk about a few instrument panels being made from nickel plated brass, with some thought that maybe the open cars could have gotten the brass ones since they were more exposed to the elements, but the last I heard no one knew for sure.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #28
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg;637005
[COLOR=black
Where does this information come from? I've never known of a black instument panel, nor heard that Ford would use a defective part. Instrument panels used with an oval speedometer were dull nickel plated steel. There was some talk about a few instrument panels being made from nickel plated brass, with some thought that maybe the open cars could have gotten the brass ones since they were more exposed to the elements, but the last I heard no one knew for sure.[/COLOR]
My truck (29 March) came with a black instrument panel. Everything you saw on the panel was as it was on the cars, brightwork, including the screws holding it to the gas tank.

The gear shift lever and brake lever (pushbutton center) were both too rusty to know what the original finish was. But there has been discussion on the other board about partially or fully painted handlevers on the brake and black shift levers. This I take as fact. I think Marco has confirmed this too over there. He may have a partial paint lever shown on his site somewhere.

As to using appearance defective parts, this is speculation. My instrument panel MAY have been intentionally painted but not for cosmetic reject purpose. Ford DID use up obsoleted parts on the trucks. My truck (pretty sure) had a powerhouse gen, single brightness headlights, a drum taillight, and the appointments to make this happen (thinking taillight bracket). Electrical conventions that were outmoded a month or two before in the passenger car line. (I'm not up to date on current transition times except to say that the judging standards gives like a 90 day window for transitions to be completed in the trucks.

So yes, some of my posting IS not proven - yet.

Sorry to have tripped over the minutia. I will give the minutia credit though when it exists. Without a proven guideline, one might never really know what it was, or be guided to achieve it.

Joe K