Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
jerryv

Default Rim powder coating

I have a 33 ford pick up I want to powder coat the rims Ditzler Tacoma Cream color , the powder coating places do not have this color, and have told me I can only pick from chips that I cannot find a color even close, has anyone tried to match this color with powder coating and do you know the MFG and color?
jerryv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: Rim powder coating

There is a powder paint color sample book that just about covers the rainbow. I can't believe you can't find a color within the range you are looking for. Tomorrow when I'm in the shop I'll get you the details. I got mine from my powder paint shop.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:49 PM   #3
Newc

Just clean the lug nut surface before mounting the wheel. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:50 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryv View Post
I have a 33 ford pick up I want to powder coat the rims Ditzler Tacoma Cream color , the powder coating places do not have this color, and have told me I can only pick from chips that I cannot find a color even close, has anyone tried to match this color with powder coating and do you know the MFG and color?
I agree with Krylon completely. Powder comes in nearly nay hue you might imagine.
I believe what you have found is a shop that doesn't want to buy a special color just for you. And / or, they simply don't want to bother.
The place I've been dealing with for 30+ years has on occasion ordered some "odd" colors for me that with little doubt no one else will ever desire. I paid for the entire amount they were required to purchase.
Perhaps if you'd offered to pay for all that they must purchase, they may be more inclined to help you. If not, find a different place.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:18 PM   #5
Krylon32

On the powder coat jobs I've had done using non stock colors the coater charged me a slightly higher price than normal to cover the custom paint.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #6
McMimmcs

I had rims coated in Tacoma creme last August. The shop is giving you the run around.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:00 PM   #7
OldGold360

Find a different shop. My powdercoater has ordered colors for me that they don’t stock. Their books contain hundreds, if not thousands, of colors. Worst case, you can source the powder yourself and take it to your coater.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:02 AM   #8
Vics Stuff

Go to Prismatic Powders .com There you can buy your own powder and have the local guys spray it. I have done that several times.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:16 AM   #9
cas3

i like paint
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #10
Ken hash

The only about powder coating is that if it gets a chip it is hard to touch up. I also agree with Above post to clean lug nut seats to avoid paint chipping. Good luck
Ken hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
blucar

I have to agree with Kube, I just had a set of wheels for a '37 GMC that I wanted PC'd to match a promo pix I have of a Harley Earl GMC color scheme of the '30's. The color I wanted was a special order, adding over $15.00 per wheel, I opted for a stock orange color. The price came down an additional $10. per wheel and I waited an additional week because they had the color in their system.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryv View Post
If you added your general location to your profile maybe someone would suggest a place that can do it and is close to where you live.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:29 PM   #13
ChuckGalaga

Agree with the others, you should be able to get what you want at the right shop who is willing.
ChuckGalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:04 AM   #14
rockfla

I have found, Here locally in North Florida and our powder coater's, they will have colors "close" to what you are looking BUT in the scheme of things (and In my opinion) close is STILL far away IF "authenticity" is the goal. Case in point the rims on our 35 Sedan delivery, which was "close" to Tacoma Cream....WELL....."Pale Yellow"........Not so much!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35SedanDelv2.jpg (53.3 KB, 30 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #15
woodiewagon46

I agree that you should find another powdercoater. I have the "Tiger-drylac" powder catalog and there are dozens of shades of cream listed. I would send them an E-Mail, www.tigerdrylac and ask if they can help. I'm not exactly sure on what the exact shade of Ford, Tacoma Cream is, but they might be able to cross reference it for you. I'm sure they can get very close.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:37 PM   #16
Farley's34

Powder Coating works well if your wheels are flawless. But often rust pits and other imperfections need attention that requires filler and primer.
Farley's34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:42 PM   #17
Mike34

Both painting or powder coating requires filling in rust pits and imperfections if you want a nice finish. No difference. As noted in other posts, there are nearly infinite colors available. If a shop says that they don’t have it, they are lazy. Go to another shop. Also, custom colors are easy to obtain. The shop that I worked with sprayed test pieces for me to compare against Tacoma Cream paint, until I was happy. We then sprayed 10 rims. Very happy with the color that they mixed. Unfortunately, I don’t have formula documented.
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote