Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #41
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: New at this. 1930 Model A 3 window Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleskott View Post
Thank you for the helpful advice. As you can see I'm trying to make a wise decision and not a quick one. Even though someone says its restored, that can mean many things. I know of MAFCA, what is the 2nd club you are referring too? And if anyone knows of a knowledgeable person on Long Island I'd be happy to take the reference. Thank you all for the help.
MARC is the other club, and Jim Brand is in your area, and he knows Model A's. Jim is also the expert pin striper for Model A's as well as other makes. Pay the man, and he'd even pin stipe your wheelbarrow.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #42
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...The second club is the 'Model A Restorers Club of America'. They are also a great group of people. They sometimes have local clubs quite close to the Model A Ford Club of America's clubs and sometimes they have clubs in totally different places. They have a magazine called 'Model A News' which is well worth receiving just like the 'Restorer' which is put out by the Model A Club of America. Our local club in Arizona is affiliated with both national clubs. They both have technical advisors who you can work with on questions. Almost every local club has a good mechanic who spends lots of time on Model A's. The closest such person to you will be your best bet...Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #43
Ernie Vitucci

Thanks, Terry. In the 70's/80's I lived on Lapworth Circle near the corner of Adams and Brookhurst. Fountain Valley was sparsely populated at that time. I used to go up Pacific Coast Highway when the sand would blow over the road and all you could do was stay lined up to the phone polls. Ernie
Old 09-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #44
TerryH

Ernie.....a small world! We have lived in Fountain Valley since 1976, and still enjoy it here. Did you used to go to the Saturday morning Derelict Donuts at Adams and Magnolia? Lots of neat cars there still.....
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #45
Ernie Vitucci

Good Evening Terry...I don't remember the donut shop...but I do remember a great local hardware store near the corner of Adams and Magnolia called Park Hardware! I remember the Newland House in Huntington Beach and the Warner Drive in way out on the end of Warner Avenue, if my memory is working this evening. I do still come over once a year or so to spend a night or two on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. She is such a great lady. Ernie
Old 09-18-2017, 11:59 PM   #46
TerryH

Ernie
Would love to see and meet you if you are ever out our way, and I could take you for a ride in Emma, my 1930 Town Sedan.....let me know!
Terry
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #47
Tom Wesenberg

If the steering is tight, the first thing to do is make sure the steering box has lubricant, and be sure to grease all the fittings. There's a world of difference between dry and lubricated steering joints.

About 8 years ago a guy sold his Model A cheap because it died while on tour, and nobody stopped to fix it for him. The buyer had me fix it so he could resell it. It steered terrible, but all the car really needed was to have the very loose wheel bearings tightened by 2 full turns on one side and 3 turns on the other, and adjust the brakes and points. It was a good car after those few simple fixes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #48
mrtexas

IMHO the market for Model As is very soft. I had a hard and long time selling a roadster and roadster pickup that were freshly restored and very nice, like new. Lost 1/3+ of my invested $$. You will be ahead $ wise buying a finished car even if you were to get the car for free if you intend to restore it. For example a minimum of $2000 to restore the brakes alone! I paid $4000 for a paint job and I supplied the paint($1500 minimuim) and considered that a bargain. $4-5000 easy on the motor. $2000 on chrome. Parts? Who knows. So $7500+$14500=$22000. You can get a very good 4 door $22k you can enjoy today not 2-3 years minimum in the future. Haven't mentioned interior, $3k+. This counts hundreds of hours of your labor for free. I didn't save the receipts from Model A parts houses. I didn't want to know the total. You want a hobby? Fine, but Model A is not a cheap hobby.

Best question to ask is what condition of a car do you want? Then go buy one. Took me a while to figure that one out. I don't want one in poor mechanical condition. Don't want one with flaking paint and threadbare interior. After 6 restorations I've had enough of being a mechanic, was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by mrtexas; 09-19-2017 at 08:53 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #49
mike657894

heres a car you should look at https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...355/?ref=br_rs
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #50
Ernie Vitucci

Hi Terry...I'll be over in your area on or about October 11th. I'm driving my wife over to her sister's house in Cypress. They are Irish girls and they are going to fly home for a visit. My cell is 602-679-4252. Feel free to give me a call and we'll set up a time to meet. Ernie
Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #51
Quigley1930

The $5000.00 Facebook car is NOT an automatic

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote