Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
russcc

Default '40 Standar coupe wiring ?

The ’40 standard coupe as a jumble of wires that someone mickey moused, and I am trying to sort out. One issue I can’t figure out is a black wire in the loom from the interior through the firewall into the engine compartment. This wire is always live when the battery switch is on, so it is normally hot. I have identified the other hot wire from the CB, through the firewall as the stoplight. I have ’40 deluxe wiring diagram. What I see in the deluxe diagram is a normally hot wire from the circuit breaker under the dash to the “pillar lights”, but in the deluxe diagram it is color coded B-BL to the switch. Also the standard has a switch on the pillar, and one light in the center over the package tray. Anyone have a ’40 standard wiring diagram ? Thank you Fordbarners.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: '40 Standar coupe wiring ?

Since it is "mickey moused" a wiring diagram may not help you. If the black wire is always hot it's meant for a constant hot circuit. That could be a dome light, stop light switch, headlight switch, or a cigar lighter. To my knowledge the "Standard" diagram is the same as the "Deluxe". Sounds like maybe you should rewire the car with the correct harness.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
The ’40 standard coupe as a jumble of wires that someone mickey moused, and I am trying to sort out. One issue I can’t figure out is a black wire in the loom from the interior through the firewall into the engine compartment. This wire is always live when the battery switch is on, so it is normally hot. I have identified the other hot wire from the CB, through the firewall as the stoplight. I have ’40 deluxe wiring diagram. What I see in the deluxe diagram is a normally hot wire from the circuit breaker under the dash to the “pillar lights”, but in the deluxe diagram it is color coded B-BL to the switch. Also the standard has a switch on the pillar, and one light in the center over the package tray. Anyone have a ’40 standard wiring diagram ? Thank you Fordbarners.
Russ, I agree 100% with TJ.

Wiring, especially poorly done, is a major cause of issues. Not the least of which is fire.

My advice, like TJ's, is to cut the chase, buy a reproduction harness and be assured everything works as it should.
You will be far better off to do so now than spend hours trying to fix what you have. A new harness is quite reasonable and can be installed rather quickly.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If you still need the diagrams, here they are. Very little difference in the wiring between the two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wirediagram1940car.jpg (78.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1940dlx.jpg (71.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1940std.jpg (69.4 KB, 23 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
If you still need the diagrams, here they are. Very little difference in the wiring between the two.
Without resorting to a magnifying glass, I'm guessing the main difference is the Deluxe is wired for two taillights.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

What are you viewing the diagrams on? They open up to an easy to read size, LOL They will print out as 8 1/2 X 11.

Deluxe vs Standard differences on wiring diagram:

Generator wiring
Two taillights (both taillight and brake light)
Wiring connection point for brake light switch
Electric Clock

That's about the only differences I see.

Last edited by JSeery; 05-09-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
What are you viewing the diagrams on? They open up to an easy to read size, LOL They will print out as 8 1/2 X 11.

Deluxe vs Standard differences on wiring diagram:

Generator wiring
Two taillights (both taillight and brake light)
Wiring connection point for brake light switch
Electric Clock

That's about the only differences I see.
In reality, the only difference is the tail lamp(s). The brake switch and location thereof is identical between models and the pigtail wire for the clock is in both main harnesses. Of course, the so called "standard" model has no clock so the pigtail is left "open". Generators are identical between models as well.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Thanks for the reminder Kube. I've heard several times that the actual vehicle wiring doesn't match up the published wiring diagrams. That's why I always try to state "on wiring diagram". I would think that the wiring diagrams should not be considered the absolute last word on how the actual vehicles were wired up, but just as a general guide.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
russcc

Thank you, that was very helpful, especially being able to compare the 2 diagrams. The only difference I see is the stop light switch comes off the headlight feed vs the circuit breaker. This car has two taillights even though it a standard, and not a restoration.
The main original harness is in good condition, so I am redoing all the mickey mouse stuff which is mainly the headlights & stoplight s/w. Tyree Harris does not build the headlight harness the way I want it with #12 GA wire, so I am building it myself. I have a battery switch on the positive ground side which is always shutoff when I am no actually using the car. I built the entire electrical system in the flathead powered roadster from scratch my way. To me wiring is fun work. Although electrical fires may be common for some, I have never had one, and don't expect to. Special thanks to J Seery for diagrams which I printed out in landscape 8 1/2 & 11. A diagram is worth a 1000 words.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
scicala

"Although electrical fires may be common for some, I have never had one, and don't expect to."

Sounds like famous last words.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
"Although electrical fires may be common for some, I have never had one, and don't expect to."

Sounds like famous last words.

Sal
Exactly
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
russcc

Safety is what I do. It is the guiding principal for all that I do. Do it right, and you lose no sleep over it.