Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
ndnchf

Default Newbie here - looking at a '26 T

Hi folks,
I'm Steve B. from Fredericksburg, Virginia. I've been getting more and more interested in getting a model T for fun and pleasure. I've had a lot of old cars and trucks over the years, including a '31 Model A pickup about 20 years ago. So I'm no stranger to old iron, but I've never had a model T.

I've been looking around my area and found a '26 model T huckster for sale. Here is the ad, I would appreciate hearing your opinion of it. I've emailed with the seller and he says it was resotored by the original owners son in the 1990s. Its all stock as far as he knows, he has all the receipts from the restoration. Asking price is $8500.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/229679...-t#22967910010

Thanks
Steve
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Newbie here - looking at a '26 T

Hey Steve... heres a warm welcome, and a hearty "High Ho Silver!!!"Thats a neat looking truck. The top side of its value may be around 8500 but I always try to leave room for negotiation. If its really all been gone through, I would be comfortable with a 7500 offer. The guy can only say No right?
Im sure Mike G will be on this in a bit about buying a "restored" car. I always start with a pile of junk so opinions can vary from wild to mild! Other that needing a little freshening up on engine detailing it looks pretty good from the pics.
Only 2 other issues that need addressing, COOL Truck but a damn hot ride. Ts get pretty darn warm and all you have is ventilation for cooling the cab. At 48 mph, theres a chance that the sweat will blow off yer face, but that truck, on a flat newly paved road, running excellent and wide open MAY give you 35 mph, but face sweating at that pace will be the least of your concerns LOL! White knuckles DO sunburn easily. Hit a pothole and you may be filling the huckster with shuckstered corn (?). It wont ride as nice as that Model A, plus the brakes are merely a transmission brake and not the reverse pedal like that ad reads.
One other note as far as negotiating is concerned; go over the reciepts, and make sure the differential was overhauled and the babbitt thrust washers replaced with bronze. The babbitts disintegrate leaving you with NO BRAKES. Thats a "Must Do" project IMHO.
That red roadster pick up wouldve been da' bomb to run around in. What became of that??? ws
Old 05-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
[email protected]

I really wonder if the guy ever drove it. He doesn't know his reverse from his brake. He thinks that thing will do 48 mph. Yeah off a cliffwith a good tai wind it might get up to 37. Some people actually use the reverse while slowing down but it's definitely not a brake. The only time I would use reverse for a brake is if there was an emergency. Be aware o "restored Model T's. A ring job and fresh paint isn't a restoration. The next time you go to look at it bring someone along. It's to easy to get stung on this stuff.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
ndnchf

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks gents, I appreciate your thoughts and comments. Its easy to get the fever and look at things with rose colored glasses. I'm beating the bushes to see what else turns up. I was very interested in the red roadster pickup, but the seller changed his mind and decided not to sell.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote