Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Kurt in NJ

Default My quest for vibration reduction

I know my car has a vibration problem, it moves in a circle going through about 1000 rpm, and buzes a little around 45 (so I drive faster) , way back in the mid 80s it was decided to attend the "world Meet" in Wisconsin ---the engine had about 3000 miles since a total rebuild ---time to adjust the babbitt ---the rear main was crumbs--guess that was why a thumping was felt when driving, we had collected some KRW tooling and it was decided to do our own babbitt, I had been playing with pouring some before this using the Restorer article from the 60s, and the KRW book, I had 1 month, this is when I first found crankshaft off center, mine is .003 ---so 2 other cranks were sent out--they came back at .004, .006 out (It's just an old car, it won't matter) ---this put the desire to grind my own crankshafts in my mind.

The babbitting went ok, took a couple of trys to get the pour to my satisfaction ---got it all together the night before, still had the circular movement though but most of the vibration was gone, I had weight matched the pistons, rods the best I could ---broke it in on the road, by Ohio it rocked on compression, by the middle of Ohio I knew it would go 67, much better than the 52 I had before --on the way home I tried to break it, rarely under 55, did 65 the whole length of the PA turnpike---passed a lot of cars.
Now it is 25 years later, over 20,000 miles(maybe more, I used to unhook the speedo ) and the flywheel balance issue is taking it's toll, and one of the rods I chose by weight didn't have the best babbitt--it came apart some 20 years ago and for a "tempoary repair I put in one with 10 grams more weight---more vibration, less top speed ---it is soon time to fix it properly, I can feel the thump starting to come back--

I had wanted to rebuild engines in the 80s, pour babbitt, had looked into getting my own crankshaft grinder -but they cost too much and I didn't have a place to put it---got discouraged after trying yet another place to gind crankshafts and having bad results--- I gave up

Knowing I had this problem coming, and that I had to make a engine for my brother ---and at work the job was changine to more computer work and away from engine work my need for making metal chips wasn't being satisfied I started looking for a place to grind crankshafts ---first I educated myself, I bought a crankshaft grinder instruction book off E-bay, looked at many you-tube videos, and searched the subject online (something I couldn't do in 85) ---then I started calling shops within 100 miles, asking what machine they had, and asking if they could do the model a crankshaft to original specs ---the conversation usually went like this----can you grind a model A Ford crankshaft to factory specs ---sure, no problem ---how much ---125$ ---so you can get the flywheel flange and timing gear flange to less than .001 runout, the stroke and index to within .005 ---oh, you want racecar crankshaft grinding --that will be 350$ ---ok, when it is done can you show me it meets the specs ----no, we can't really measure the stroke and index, why would you want to check that---it's just an old car.

In my searching I had found that crankshaft grinding machines have come down in price for used machines that need some work, and learned about shipping ---I made a deal on one delivered, it would need sme work, he damaged it some loading it and I got a further price reduction (it covered the cost of all the restoration parts) ---

I am grinding my first crankshaft ---I have found that getting within .001 isn't very hard, you just have to care and take the time to set it properly, I have started with a very rusty "junk" crankshaft that I never expected to be able to use, the first time I didn't try to set in in centered, purposly ground the stroke and index wrong ---it was to get round and taper good, and to learn how to correct centering and index ---make it wrong to make it right, this machine works on centers, to correct stroke and index I would need to know how it is off ---mark the places it is wrong and set it up there so it is ground straight----this is where much of the problem with regrinds start, the instructions say to center on the least worn journal and the journals don't wear evenly----this just grinds any errors round, after several regrinds like this the errors add up ---and most people buy by price, it takes time to plot the errors, time to set up to correct ----probably 5 ordinary regrinds can be done in the time it takes to "blueprint" and correct a single crank ---and it takes thought and caring about the results---something that seems to be less common today.

I still have a lot to learn, and the more I learn the more I learn I dont know.

I have a few cranks for learning---the rack was made years ago from junk and plans in a Ford rebuilding shop book, todays project is to plot out the rod journal positions and correct them ---and work on my list of questions to ask someone more experienced than me, hpoefully i can find a mentor to help shorten the process --I think I have the machine working properly, it runs quieter than a bench grinder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old linan-crank 153.jpg (74.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0392.JPG (157.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.JPG (177.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0296.JPG (207.3 KB, 80 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: My quest for vibration reduction

Very nice looking machine restoration.
That is a very good machine for automotive cranks.
My cam grinder is built on the same base.
One short advice, clean the Arnold gauge and it's slide each time you finish a crank. It will maintain it's accuracy much better and longer.
It looks like you copied my crank rack design exactly...lol
Add a piece of plywood to the mid shelf and you can store cams there.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
700rpm

That is very cool, Kurt. I hope I can find someone on this side of the country, and I hope in Portland, who cares as much as you do.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Kurt, one of the best all around guys I have met who has plenty of experience rebuilding and running those machines is Joe Baker JR in Cincinnati. His company Joe Baker Sales is a huge building full of equipment they are restoring. They also have a room there with crank machines running that they grind cranks for shops all around Ohio. I would give him a call and at least talk with him.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Jim Brierley

You are on the right track, and very light pistons will also help the vibration problem.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote