Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: posting pictures

Tom your pics size is to small for them to enlarge
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

The original picture size was way too large, so I did the thumbnail thing, but now it only downloads the thumbnail size. Wish I could find my regular camera. It's an Olympus Stylus 400 that I had set on the perfect resolution for posting pictures here. My camera vanished a month ago, so I bought an identical one on ebay, but it won't stay set on the lower resolution.

I'll try the picture again. I set my camera on 1024 x 768, but when I close the lens the camera reverts back to the higher resolution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Simplicity 8-28 a.jpg (83.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Simplicity 8-28 b.jpg (85.2 KB, 19 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #23
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Tom what's that white stuff we have not seen that in a long while here
I still have to get my snow blower ready for the season. I guess when or if it does come it will be a 911..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-16-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #24
Carb Guy

Thanks to all. I reduced the size of the pictures and they all posted just fine. Pictures are on the Carburetor message.
Carb Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #25
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The original picture size was way too large, so I did the thumbnail thing, but now it only downloads the thumbnail size. Wish I could find my regular camera. It's an Olympus Stylus 400 that I had set on the perfect resolution for posting pictures here. My camera vanished a month ago, so I bought an identical one on ebay, but it won't stay set on the lower resolution.

I'll try the picture again. I set my camera on 1024 x 768, but when I close the lens the camera reverts back to the higher resolution.
The fact that the camera reverts to the higher resolution is probably a good design feature. That way you don't accidentally end up with family and vacation pictures at low resolution.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #26
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I have used a program called EZTHUMBNAILS for more than 10 years.

http://www.fookes.com/easy-thumbnails

When installing (be sure to read the prompts and say yes to the "make a short cut to the desktop" question.) A red, white and blue icon appears on desktop.

1. Open program, go to "settings tab" and set image size to 1024 by 768. This setup is only needed the first time you use program.

Note: The program defaults to 200 by 150 size so if you forget to correctly setup this step on installation ... all you get is very small photos that do not enlarge.

Then you need to re-run the program on the large files after changing to 1024 by 768 mode.

This is a size that displays on monitors without running off the page. It also provides enough resolution to show a good quality photo on any monitor. It also reduces the size of the files to about 200 kbytes so you can email them easily or post on FB.

2. I make a folder to store the large photos directly from the camera and store them there. Always keep the large photos incase you need the higher resolution like if you need to edit the image like cropping or to print a calendar sized image. Cropping reduced size file will yield a poor photo when you print or edit the photo file. This is why I store the original large files in the directory.

3. Now highlight all the images.

4. right click and a menu will appear asking it you want to resize all images using EZTHUMBNAILS.

5. Another option is to open EZTHUMBNAILS from the desktop icon.
Go to files tab at the top and navigate to the directory where you stored the large files. Select "make all option".

Smaller photos will appear in the directory as the name of large file with " tn_ ". appended to the front of file. Large files will be unchanged.

These smaller files will post on FB or can be easily emailed.
Benson,

I think you missed my point about cropping to reduce size. Of course everything should be shot at the highest resolution and full size original files should be retained. My original file was 9MB (EOS 5D camera). To be able to post without using an outside server (which I think is a bad idea) I had the choice of cropping or reducing the size of the whole picture in order to post. If I am trying to illustrate the headlight socket I think cropping is the better approach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9424-1.jpeg (89.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9424.jpg (101.1 KB, 10 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #27
Benson

Chas,

I agree that cropping is good and many times cropping is the only option when going after details like you posted.

Maybe I went into too much detail but years ago I made the suggestion to a fellow to reduce the size of his photos when displaying on a computer monitor.

He reduced his whole collection and did not save the originals and then he was mad when he found that he could not edit, print or enlarge his photos.

I never dreamed that he would make thumbnails out of his whole collection without keeping the originals.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

I have Paint, but couldn't get it to reduce my pictures.

I did get my camera figured out, so I'll take most of my pictures in a lower resolution, and use my other camera for any high resolution picture I want to take. Here's two pictures I took today for my Craigslist ad, so they should post here OK, I hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (74.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (79.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

I do have another problem though. When I click on a thumbnail, sometimes the page turns dark, and nothing else happens. I have to hit the back arrow and try again, and then it might enlarge. I'd guess it's a problem with my computer.