Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Ronnie

Default Problems of cleaning

I have a set of heads that were on an engine for a short period of time maybe 5000 miles(a complete rebuild). In dismantling heads I have discovered the problems from a previous shop that used steel shot to clean the heads.The same results will happen with glass bead shot. The problem now is the extra time involved in correcting the situation. Let this be a reminder of how one can be trapped doing a job and not reporting back to the customer your findings. I will contact the owner and bring him up to date. I always stay away from this type of cleaning when there are small crevices that the medium can lodge in. Some here don't see a problem but the proof is in the picture.You may clean as you choose but beware of the outcomes.This can easily dislodge itself at any time during a heat cycle and do your rebuild in.The engine had some marks on the main brg thrust faces as well.Originally had a cam failure.I pays to do some detailed inspection or the job can come back and bite you in the ass even if you didn't do the cleaning as described.The block now will have to make a trip to the jet wash for an extended flush as well.

R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cleaning shot.jpg (54.2 KB, 168 views)
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
jake197000

Default Re: Problems of cleaning

thats up to the person assembling the engine to be sure its clean.thats the problem with that type of cleaning but it doesnt have to be a problem it just takes a lot of time.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake197000 View Post
thats up to the person assembling the engine to be sure its clean.thats the problem with that type of cleaning but it doesnt have to be a problem it just takes a lot of time.
Its easy to blame the last guy but now the shi**y job as they are in there with a 100lbs of air pressure.Not just going to fall out.

R
Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Binx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake197000 View Post
And this is what you tell the customer.....

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
And this is what you tell the customer.....

Lonnie

I know how to handle it.This post is to inform some of the non engine guy's or non machine guy's the pitfalls of what they could end up with after a job they paid good money for. Its simple here is what you have now,here is a fix,this is the cost. Do you want to carry on? Its only money.He can't go back to original shop its a few 100 miles away. I don't care where it goes. Just doing a task that I was asked to do.He should get another set of cores and rebuild.

R
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
BILL WZOREK

Ronnie:
Ok you showed us the problem / Is steel shot the wrong way to clean / or is the problem not cleaning up after the cleaning prosess ?

If steel shot is the wrong way what is the right way?
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Ronnie

Steel shot has its place in some cleaning environments.The shot that is lodged in the crevices is a real tough thing to remove can take you hours. Not an easy task.A cleaning in a jet wash with good chemical will suffice with no labor intensive job left at the end.

R