Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
31Tudor

Default Tudor Door Hardware Finish Question

On the top of the door is the metal cover that has to be taken off to take the door glass out. There are two small screws that hold that cover on; what is the finish of those screws - plated or body color?

Then on the body (not door) is a metal plate that screws on, on the upper door area that has one of the rubber bumpers attached in it. What is the finish of the wood screws that hold that plate on? Is the rubber door bumber painted or was it attached after the cover plate was painted? Would that metal plate be painted lower body color, or upper body color?
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: Tudor Door Hardware Finish Question

Just my two cents........
I believe these screws were body color originally. I have seen some evidence the welting was wrapped in Paper prior to painting that was later removed to expose the fabric. Probably the same for the upper/lower door bumper.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Gary Karr

I believe that the three small flat head screws on the door header were body color. The screws that hold the upper wind lace in place can be either body color or nickel plated. The upper door rubber was unpainted and most likely mounted after the body was assembled so it was probably mounted with a nickel plated oval head wood screw. The front wind lace was actually installed with a paper sheath over it. The molding piece holding it into place was installed with semi tubular rivets and then all painted body color. I can't say for sure on the upper piece. I know that it had a piece of cardboard sewn to it to help hold it into pace under the upper door opening molding.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
Tudortomnz

All these screws on my Tudor are still nickel plated ; they are Robertsons, the car being from Ontario Plant.
Were not the bodies painted without trim, glass etc, all the screw on bits added afterwards, just before final paint polishing on the Trim Line?
See photos in ''Model A as Henry Built It'.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote