Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
kiwitony

Angry F1 clutch

Hi Guys , I've been working on a 52 F1 thats just been imported from the states.Its a neat old truck and I've been going threw it doing cab mounts,carby, oil seals etc. The clutch trust bearing was noisy, so pulled the gearbox as I was doing the side shift seals as well. The trust bearing was so stuffed it had been spinning on the hub and worn that as well. Got a new hub all the gearbox seals and new trust bearing. Trust bearing to my concern was made in china. Put it all together and started it up and the noise is still there. I'm devistated, I can't belive that even a chinese trust bearing can be bad from new. If you push the pedal down so that the pedal is pushing on the pressure plate it is quiet, but if you move the pedal in and out it makes a sqealing noise. I'm now thinking the pilot bearing is bad. What are your thoughts? I didn't delve deeper into the clutch when I had the box out as I figured I'd found the problem on finding the rooted trust bearing. Any advice greatly appreciated as I don't really want to pull it to bits again,I want to go fishing. Cheers Tony.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: F1 clutch

There is a great tip from Rumbleseat..... take your American bearing, even if its stiff and noisy. Drill a small hole in the side with a grease coated drill bit to catch swarf, inject a couple of squirts from a grease gun. Insert a little self-tapper with some thread locker and it'll be good for ever. If you've dumped the old bearing, I guess this will work with the chinese one too. Better replace the pilot bearing too. I know it's all a pain, I've had my engine and trans in and out three times in the last few weeks trying to solve my clutch problem (incorrect parts).
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Brian

My thoughts?- you're a better fisherman than mechanic!! LOL
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
mtflat

IF it has a pilot bearing - most had sintered bronze bushings. They wear but less chance of catastrophic failure. Soak them in oil over night before installing.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Barry-ct

Your description sure fits a bad or noisey thrust ( we call them throw out bearings ).They say 50% of what the chinese make is thrown right back into the scrap metal bin, so they can make more bad parts. MT is right on about the pilot bushing. Replace it while you're in there.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Dec211975

When you push the clutch pedal down is your transmission in gear or neutral ? If you have noise in neutral but not first gear your main shaft bearing and or counter gear bearing would be suspect; if the noise is the same in gear or neutral then you are on the right track suspecting the throw out bearing pilot bearing.

Regards,

Brian
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
kiwitony

Thanks guys, it makes the most noise in either low or reverse as you slip the clutch, you only have to move pedal in or out a fraction and it stops. You're right Brian I should have went fishing,I spilt some thinners on the seat and marked it so will have to go to the upholsterer to get the squab turned around which will be more than I'm going to charge, I've had a run of negative money jobs of late. Cheers Tony.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Bluebell

Is the squeal coming from the fingers of the pressure plate rubbing on the thrust face of the bearing, before the bearing takes up a load (before the moving part of the bearing starts to turn) If so it might settle down with some use.

The spigot bearing is usually noisy when the clutch is right in ( input shaft stopped, fly wheel spinning)
If its the input (spigot shaft bearing) it is noisy when the engine is running, but stops when you push the clutch in.

The intermediate bearing is noisy in all gears except top gear(driving)

If you suspect it is the cluster shaft bearings, you will hear them while the engine is running in neutral, but the noise will stop when you push the clutch in.

I am hazy on the details, but seem to recall you can get a rattle from the pressure plate fingers.

Is you clutch adjusted properly?
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitony View Post
Hi Guys , I've been working on a 52 F1 thats just been imported from the states.Its a neat old truck and I've been going threw it doing cab mounts,carby, oil seals etc. The clutch trust bearing was noisy, so pulled the gearbox as I was doing the side shift seals as well. The trust bearing was so stuffed it had been spinning on the hub and worn that as well. Got a new hub all the gearbox seals and new trust bearing. Trust bearing to my concern was made in china. Put it all together and started it up and the noise is still there. I'm devistated, I can't belive that even a chinese trust bearing can be bad from new. If you push the pedal down so that the pedal is pushing on the pressure plate it is quiet, but if you move the pedal in and out it makes a sqealing noise. I'm now thinking the pilot bearing is bad. What are your thoughts? I didn't delve deeper into the clutch when I had the box out as I figured I'd found the problem on finding the rooted trust bearing. Any advice greatly appreciated as I don't really want to pull it to bits again,I want to go fishing. Cheers Tony.
Tony, the clutch was awful on my `51 F1 with the new Chinese made parts I had purchased. Like yours it squealed, even though the throw-out bearing was new. The chatter would make the glove compartment lid rattle. I replaced everything with rebuilt American made and it is smooth as silk and quiet as a mouse. I found a new American made throw-out bearing at NAPA. I also replaced the rear engine mount. No squeal, no chatter...
Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
4t8v8

Had the same problem. Found the inner race of the throwout bearing was longer than the original. (Chinese made). When moving the pedal in and out it rubbed on the clutch fingers. Got a new American made bearing and it worked great. It was just barely touching the fingers and might have worn down and quit making noise. Just didn't trust it.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote