Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
38coop

Default Fuel pressure regulator

On my 49 V8 project car I have a 12v electric low pressure fuel pump to use part time as needed. It is mounted on the driver side frame rail ahead of the rear wheel. I bought a Holley 1-4psi low pressure regulator to use. My question is do you think it will be okay to mount this regulator after the fuel pump on the frame? Thanks.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
30-9

Default Re: Fuel pressure regulator

That's where I have mine and it does the job
Old 10-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
scicala

I don't think it matters where you mount the regulator between the pump and carburetor. It would probably be a lot easier to adjust the pressure if you needed to, if it was mounted under the hood, but would not look original if that's what your after.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Johnnydidd

I have mine mounted on the fire wall with a pressure gauge, look at it every once in a while.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38coop View Post
On my 49 V8 project car I have a 12v electric low pressure fuel pump to use part time as needed. It is mounted on the driver side frame rail ahead of the rear wheel. I bought a Holley 1-4psi low pressure regulator to use. My question is do you think it will be okay to mount this regulator after the fuel pump on the frame? Thanks.
If you have a low pressure pump there is no reason to have a pressure regulator, especially when it's a stand by pump.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
If you have a low pressure pump there is no reason to have a pressure regulator, especially when it's a stand by pump.
That's what I thought and tried to do without the regulator. Unfortunately, the 1-4 lb pump pumps at 4 lbs and the carburetor float valve only handles 3½ lbs. So, I had to add the regulator, even for very brief use of the pump. Such brief use is usually not enough for me. I need at least a minute or two and usually longer, especially climbing mountains at high altitude, even in cool weather, the pump has to be run continuously.

I mounted my regulator in the frame rail just ahead of the pump.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
Ford Freak

So , what happens to the float valve with 4 lbs. of pressure ? Does it make the carb leak ? Float too high ?
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
So , what happens to the float valve with 4 lbs. of pressure ? Does it make the carb leak ? Float too high ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
That's what I thought and tried to do without the regulator. Unfortunately, the 1-4 lb pump pumps at 4 lbs and the carburetor float valve only handles 3½ lbs. So, I had to add the regulator, even for very brief use of the pump. Such brief use is usually not enough for me. I need at least a minute or two and usually longer, especially climbing mountains at high altitude, even in cool weather, the pump has to be run continuously.
I think a correction to my information may be in order. I know that when I installed the pump in my 51 I didn't need a regulator because the carburetor float valve in that year of car would hold more pressure. I had no problem running the pump continuously.

I don't know what carburetor a 49 has in it and whether it will hold 4 lbs. pressure. You would need to check the specs and see. You may not need a regulator. One good way to know is try it without and see what happens. If the carburetor doesn't flood you don't need a regulator.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:39 AM   #9
38coop

Thanks for the replies. I will try it without the regulator first and see how it works.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #10
Ford Freak

Well , mine doesn't flood , and runs fine , so I guess I'm ok . ( 1.5 - 4 lb. pump ) It does however leak a bit , but I think that is an unrelated issue . Thanks for the reply .
Old 10-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
36tbird

I have the Holley low pressure regulator and it works fine MOST OF THE TIME. But, every so often I have to re-adjust that thing as it seems to have a mind of its own occasionally. Therefore, I would recommend that you put it somewhere easily accessible.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
19Fordy

36bird: If your Holley regulator has a fluid filled gauge, empty the fluid from the gauge and it will read accurately all the time. At least that's what I found to be true.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
Jack E/NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
I have the Holley low pressure regulator and it works fine MOST OF THE TIME. But, every so often I have to re-adjust that thing as it seems to have a mind of its own occasionally. Therefore, I would recommend that you put it somewhere easily accessible.

Be vigilant Lou. I had another brand regulator recently start acting the same way after 10 years of flawless operation. Then it decided to fail catastrophically. Resulted in an engine compartment fire that essentially fried all the wiring, gages, m/c etc, cracked glass, sheet metal distortion and bubbled paint.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
JT FORD

My '49 will handle 4 lbs with no problems. Its a NAPA original type pump.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #15
39topless

Quote:
Well , mine doesn't flood , and runs fine , so I guess I'm ok . ( 1.5 - 4 lb. pump ) It does however leak a bit , but I think that is an unrelated issue . Thanks for the reply .
You don't say where your leak is but leaking from the air-horn gasket can be a symptom of too much pressure.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #16
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
You don't say where your leak is but leaking from the air-horn gasket can be a symptom of too much pressure.
The rebuild kit instructions refer to it as a " bowl cover gasket " . Is this what you mean by "air horn gasket " ? If so , I will check it out this weekend . It looked like it was leaking in the rear , at the bottom by the mixture screws . However , it could be running down there from the top , too . I'll take a good look . Thanks !
Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
36tbird

19Fordy and Jack E/NJ,
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at them. Lou
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
hotcoupe

if you are going to use a fuel pressure regulator i would STRONGLY suggest that you consider using a Malpassi regulator, they are very accurate and durable. available on e-bay, i purchased mine from a company in England and had it in my hand in less than a week. i have not had much luck with Holley regulators.
tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #19
Ford Freak

^^ Now that almost looks like it is factory original & belongs there ^^
I like it !
Old 10-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
39topless

Quote:
The rebuild kit instructions refer to it as a " bowl cover gasket " . Is this what you mean by "air horn gasket " ? If so , I will check it out this weekend . It looked like it was leaking in the rear , at the bottom by the mixture screws . However , it could be running down there from the top , too . I'll take a good look . Thanks !
Yes
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote