Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
fiteng

Default Cooling system flush

Having tried all the cooling system cleaners; I have used on a 39 Merc and most recently a 36 Ford; SIMPLE GREEN straight undiluted. A five gallon container can be had for about $45 delivered. Drain the coolant, and add the stuff straight into the radiator. Run for two weeks and drain. The first few quarts will be fairly clean and then towards the end the color changes to Coca-Cola.
Water flush & drive four or five times finally add the glycol/water mix, preferably distilled water that you catch from your home air conditioner or dehumidifier. The temperature reduced at least fifteen degrees. Don't use on aluminum engines.
In the 36 I ran reducer washers, in the 39 I ran 180 degree stats. No it is not a myth that slowing the flow will increase heat transfer. Too fast flow will decrease not increase heat transfer. The fluid goes into laminar flow at higher flow rates. Turbulent flow results from slower flow and provides maximum heat transfer. I am a University Michigan ME, born in Detroit and know what I talk about. Thanks for looking.
fiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
A bones

Default Re: Cooling system flush

My neighbor was a roundy round dirt racer. He swore by the slow flow theory. All his race motors had the pump impellers trimmed. Of course a lot of the time was spent wound tight in second. The bottom line tho is they ran cooler when modified.

My own experience with simple green is, it will melt, dissolve more than you would suspect for a cleaner. I keep away from it because of that. I can surely believe that it ( full strength ) will liquify dormant crud.

Welcome thanks for sharing.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Admiral

Default Re: Cooling system flush

I just ran a couple quarts of Thermocure through my car's cooling system (it's made by Evapo-Rust). I wasn't having overheating issues, but there's always room for improvement with these old V8s. I left it in there for five days or so, ran the car a number of times and drained it. As expected, the stuff came out black and it seemed to break up some crud from deep in the block. I think I'll do this every couple years when I replace the coolant.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote