Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
PalAl

Default Request for AC guys

Looking for clear pictures of AC units installed on your cars, compressor/Alternator mounts, dryer mount, hose routing,
interior brackets, condensor placement, evaporator mounts.

Also what type of fans are you using, two blade, 5 blade,
plastic 6 blade?

Did you have any compressor clearance issues with the fan?

How much clearance do you have between your fan and compressor?

Any AC install advice you learneddoing your install would be appreciated.

I have insulated, insulated, insulated and converted to 12 volts.

Please.... no put downs for AC install as it's necessary for me to continue
enjoying this great hobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silver Creek RR Station RFA's.jpg (57.4 KB, 87 views)
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Request for AC guys

Nice Picture. Any chance in 2011 you being a member of the Rockford A's got my truck woken from a 50 year nap? Done at the Paulson Agricultural Museum. A couple of miles from the I90/I39 and Il 173.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
Jim/GA

Contact Ken Davis in Texas (outside Ft. Worth) and get his kit. It fits, it works, it's a very clean install.

http://www.kendavismodela.com/AirConditioners.html

He cuts and fabricates the hoses specific to your body style. Condenser mounts under the rear axle under the car.

Last edited by Jim/GA; 05-16-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
Contact Ken Davins in Texas (outside Ft. Worth) and get his kit. It fits, it works, it's a very clean install.

He cuts and fabricates the hoses specific to your body style. Condenser mounts under the rear axle under the car.
All your questions answered with a Ken Davis kit! Easy-peasy install!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #5
shew01

I met David Dowdy on Facebook (eastern Virginia), and he sent me these picture of his car. 12v is a requirement. I think his car is a Ken Davis unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #6
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I met David Dowdy on Facebook (eastern Virginia), and he sent me these picture of his car. 12v is a requirement. I think his car is a Ken Davis unit.

Yes, that sure looks like a Ken Davis system to me.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #7
fredski53

I have a Ken Davis A/C kit in my 30 Victoria. Love it! The only thing "extra" I did was to shorten the Ebrake handle about 4 inches. He supply's a bracket to lower the ebrake handle, but I wanted it lower then his bracket allowed.
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Herb Concord Ca

I have a Ken Davis A/C in my Slant town sedan since 2010. Wife says its the best feature in our Model A. Like others said its an easy install. The above picture ARE a Ken Davis kit. I also shorten my E-brake handle by 4", this allows the handle to go under the AC unit in the car. Unless to look at the ammeter, you never know compressor is operating. A great feature is in the morning, we run just the fan to circulate the air in the car, latter when it gets warmer we turn on the compressor.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
kenparker

If you want a kit to install, Ken Davis Kits is the way to go. If you want to DIY I have lots of pictures of my unit being built and installed. Mine is a Ken Parker "kit' and I built all the brackets and bought parts from Vintage Air. Time consuming but not hard.

Now to answer some of your questions.
6 blade plastic fan gives you the clearance you need. Alternator is mounted on same support bracket as the compressor and operated with a single 5/8" wide belt.

Evaporator gets in the way of the Parking brake handle, thus, the shortening of the handle as mentioned above. Or in my case I changed the angle of the handle to miss the evaporator - no shortening required.
Condenser is mounted under the rear of the vehicle and behind the banjo -easy install, just requires lots of hose to get back there.

I am in the pprocess of inatalling a kit in my Woody now. Will be measuring cutting and runing hoses todday. Will take more pictures as day goes by.

oops, cant send pictures on quick reply. look for pictures is separate post.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #10
kenparker

Here are some of the pictures of my install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 10 2020 a.JPG (251.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 5 16 2020 b.jpg (34.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 5 16 2020 c.JPG (324.7 KB, 92 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #11
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Nice Picture. Any chance in 2011 you being a member of the Rockford A's got my truck woken from a 50 year nap? Done at the Paulson Agricultural Museum. A couple of miles from the I90/I39 and Il 173.
Good morning, I joined the RFA's late in 2016 but saw your pictures and recognized a lot of the club members, I asked Jim Morley about it and he said it was a great club project, another "A" brought back to life. I have passed the Museum several times, are you normally there? When things clear up a little more I want to visit with my Granson. Looking forward to meeting you.
Here is another good photo shoot at the Silver Creek Train that I really like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vintage autos sm crop.jpg (96.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #12
PalAl

Quote:
Contact Ken Davis in Texas (outside Ft. Worth) and get his kit. It fits, it works, it's a very clean install.

Hi Jim, Yep, I have Kens kit and I am in the prosess of fit testing some parts.
Thought any pictures of the install would help me do it right the first time.
Was interested in the fan situation, my two blade hits the compressor when the belt pulleys are lined up. Was told the plastic six blade fan would clear. Wanted to know the diameter of the fan before I forked out the cash only to find it still wouldn't clear the compressor. The six blade plastic fan is said to cool better, so I hear???
Old 05-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #13
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
All your questions answered with a Ken Davis kit! Easy-peasy install!
Hi Carl, I have Ken's kit, looking for all the install pictures I can get to get a better idea of how it all goes together. For me seeing the finished product is a big help. Dyslexic perhaps....?
Old 05-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post

Thanks for the pictures Shew01, that's just what I'm looking for, will sure help with the install.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #15
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
I have a Ken Davis A/C kit in my 30 Victoria. Love it! The only thing "extra" I did was to shorten the Ebrake handle about 4 inches. He supply's a bracket to lower the ebrake handle, but I wanted it lower then his bracket allowed.
Hi Fred, thanks for the reply. How did you shorten your handle 4 inches?
This is just the information I'm looking for, I'm not one to reinvent the wheel.
How about some pictures of your install.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #16
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
I have a Ken Davis A/C in my Slant town sedan since 2010. Wife says its the best feature in our Model A. Like others said its an easy install. The above picture ARE a Ken Davis kit. I also shorten my E-brake handle by 4", this allows the handle to go under the AC unit in the car. Unless to look at the ammeter, you never know compressor is operating. A great feature is in the morning, we run just the fan to circulate the air in the car, latter when it gets warmer we turn on the compressor.
Hi Herb, thanks for the reply. I have heard nothing but good about Ken's AC, I have his kit and want to do a nice neat install. For me seeing pictures of the finished product is a plus. I will ask you also, how did you shorten you brake handle? Got any pictures to share. What fan are you using?
Old 05-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #17
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
If you want a kit to install, Ken Davis Kits is the way to go. If you want to DIY I have lots of pictures of my unit being built and installed. Mine is a Ken Parker "kit' and I built all the brackets and bought parts from Vintage Air. Time consuming but not hard.

Now to answer some of your questions.
6 blade plastic fan gives you the clearance you need. Alternator is mounted on same support bracket as the compressor and operated with a single 5/8" wide belt.

Evaporator gets in the way of the Parking brake handle, thus, the shortening of the handle as mentioned above. Or in my case I changed the angle of the handle to miss the evaporator - no shortening required.
Condenser is mounted under the rear of the vehicle and behind the banjo -easy install, just requires lots of hose to get back there.

I am in the pprocess of inatalling a kit in my Woody now. Will be measuring cutting and runing hoses todday. Will take more pictures as day goes by.

oops, cant send pictures on quick reply. look for pictures is separate post.
Hi Ken, thanks for the reply and pictures. I have Ken's kit and have been fit testing. Pictures really help me to do it right the first time. My two blade fan just hits the compressor and was told the six blade plastic would clear, what is the diameter of the fan, want to make sure it will clear before putting out the cash. How did you change the angle of your handle? Thanks again
Old 05-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #18
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Hi Jim, Yep, I have Kens kit and I am in the prosess of fit testing some parts.
Thought any pictures of the install would help me do it right the first time.
Was interested in the fan situation, my two blade hits the compressor when the belt pulleys are lined up. Was told the plastic six blade fan would clear. Wanted to know the diameter of the fan before I forked out the cash only to find it still wouldn't clear the compressor. The six blade plastic fan is said to cool better, so I hear???
Yes, I use the 6-blade fan. It fits.

It comes with a hub that is yellow plated. I sprayed it semi-gloss black and it does not stand out so much, like a sore thumb.

I did as you, test fit each piece multiple times until I was certain how it would look. I told people I had installed that A/C about 6 times by the time I was done.

Have fun!

Old 05-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #19
Herb Concord Ca

Hi Pal Al, I shortened mine below where the round part changes to the flattened shape. The rubber boot will cover the weld. You will also need to shorted the release rod inside the handle the same amount.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #20
PalAl

Quote:
Yes, I use the 6-blade fan. It fits.

It comes with a hub that is yellow plated. I sprayed it semi-gloss black and it does not stand out so much, like a sore thumb.

I did as you, test fit each piece multiple times until I was certain how it would look. I told people I had installed that A/C about 6 times by the time I was done.

Have fun!

Thanks Jim, I have been told the six blade would work, but like with most things I have to hear it several times before it sinks in. Yes, I'm a bit anal with pulmb, level and neat wiring.
Got rid of a little turn signal rats nest by installing a "neatness" plug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turn Sig. Plug.jpg (37.1 KB, 40 views)