Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
SDJason

Default Is this a bad idea? Liquid Tape on distributor lower plate tab to prevent shorting

After experiencing the joy of another short in the distributor (symptom was that as soon as the condenser was installed, a short would appear) which was fixed by some judicious bending of the protruding tab on the lower plate (not sure which bend fixed the short - either bending the condenser end inward, away from the distributor body or the majority of the tab outward, away from the center of the distributor), I had a thought:

Would it be a bad idea to coat the lower plate tab with some Liquid Tape, except for where the plunger from the ignition cable and the condenser make contact?

With the Liquid Tape as a barrier, if, for some reason, the lower plate were to get jostled enough to ordinarily create a short, the short wouldn't occur. The only problem I could see would be if the Liquid Tape were to fall apart and the pieces somehow interfering with the ignition cable plunger or condenser connection.

Anyways - just a thought I had - do you think it'd cause more trouble than it's worth?
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
BCCHOPIT

Default Re: Is this a bad idea? Liquid Tape on distributor lower plate tab to prevent shortin

It might work but if every thing is done right you should never have a short.
My 2 cents fix it right don't put a bandaid on it.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Tiny

Default Re: Is this a bad idea? Liquid Tape on distributor lower plate tab to prevent shortin

I know a lot of people put electrical tape on the back side so it doesn't short out if bent too much by the cut out wire.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
dnkcurtis

I found out the hard way, while at the national convention in Marquett Mi. last year, after a hard rain, my car would not run. Finally found that the ignition connector had been screwed in far enough and with the dampness it shorted against the bushing tower. A fellow Model Aer gave me a distributor to get me on the road the showed me what was happening. Since this experience, I have been rebuilding distributors and always glue friction tape on the back side of this tab just to prevent this from happening. I have sold over 30, and have not had a problem with any of them.
dnkcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote