Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Tudortomnz

Default How many RHD's?

Can anyone in the know [ Steve, John in England,Vince, Bruce etc] care to estimate worldwide production of RHD's?
I had thought somewhere from 350,000 to 400,000.? The English & US export market destinations are not as comprehensive as Canadian ones I have seen.
On the same theme,a small book will soon be available all about RHD Model A's. Written by long time Model A enthusiast & restorer Les Pearson from New Zealand. Will be available from Snyders & others.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
john charlton

Default Re: How many RHD's?

All Manchester and Dagenham would be RHD accept export orders to mainland Europe .Dagenham also built commercial A and AA into 1936. The plants in Argentina and Uruguay built RHD vehicles thats for sure . Generally speaking east coast South America was RHD and west coast was LHD. But individual counties I am not sure about. A car from Ecuador imported here was RHD but could have started life elsewhere. Ford Canada exported to all of the British Empire all would have been RHD. a huge market ,Australia,New Zealand, India and most of Africa .etc.etc. I dont think Canadian production records differentiate between RHD and LHD so that would be guesswork. Bob Johnsons site has all plants worldwide production figures so a lot of info could be gleaned there. Japanese production at Yokohama was also RHD . Japan is still RHD but all of South America has gone LHD and most of Africa too.

John in heavy rain morning England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote