Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
Superhart

Default Need Help: '30 Coupe Window Regulator

I need to remove the window regulator on the driver side of my 1930 Coupe with three screw mounting. The window glass drops an inch or so when rolled up completely. Seems like the regulator may need new springs. Otherwise it raises and lowers properly. I already have the trim panel removed but not sure how to disengage the regulator from the window lift channel. Never did this before so looking to you guys who have done this removal to help me avoid costly mistakes. If anyone can either describe the removal process or point me to an article or video describing how to do the deed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
SteveB31

Default Re: Need Help: '30 Coupe Window Regulator

Roll the window down. Remove the three screws from the regulator. Slide the arm off the window lower metal channel. Done
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
Bruce of MN

I am trying to install the regulator in my coupe's door. I can hook the wheel on the arm in the track, but then the shaft of the regulator hits the inner door frame when I try to swing it up to put in the screws. I have the window raised up in the frame, per the Les Andrews book.

Any tips?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Bruce of MN

I worked on it some more and cut sticks to hold the window up. I am close, but with the window fully up, I can't get the regulator shaft past the wide bead in the inner door (circled area). The old regulator arm as a small bend in it that might do the trick. Is that something to copy or will it create other problems?

Last edited by Bruce of MN; 04-30-2021 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
Bruce of MN

Found the problem! The shaft is too long by ~ 3/16", based on the old regulator. I called the vendor of the new regulator and they said they hadn't heard this before. Since I don't know the history of the car before 2010 or so, I decided to shorten the new shaft and drill a new hole. I got it by the bead mentioned above and it worked out, so all is well.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #6
KGBnut

Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for sharing your solution.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
Superhart

I had the same problem that Bruce of MN experienced. I needed to replace the regulator in my driver's side door. The window kept dropping down a half inch when I drove and hit a bump. Thanks to our membership I chose to order a replacement from Snyder's. It was a few dollars more expensive than other suppliers but I wanted quality. After removing the handles and interior trim panel I taped the glass in the full up position. The old regulator literally fell out at me in four parts when I removed the three screws. Guess what was stamped on the old regulator. You guessed it "VINTIQUE". all three rivets for the crank were broken. Immediately I could see the difference in quality between the Vintique part and the one from Snyder's. Getting the new unit in caused me to say cuss words that hadn't even been invented yet. Getting the crank shaft past the inner door bead was a real PITA. Somehow after more than 20 minutes I finally got the slide wheel in the window channel and cussed the crank shaft past the inner door bead. The rest was a piece of cake and the window operates smoothly and stays in the full up position. Of course, then I noted that the passenger window didn't operate that well compared to driver's side so I ordered a replacement regulator from Snyder's again. Yup, another Vintique POS dropped out and the same cussing to get the passenger side installed but finally all is well. Now I have two windows that operate smoothly and quietly.

The take home advice here is to pay the few dollars more and get quality parts from Snyder's. If the part is stamped Vintique, send it back.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #8
Darren Otey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
I am trying to install the regulator in my coupe's door. I can hook the wheel on the arm in the track, but then the shaft of the regulator hits the inner door frame when I try to swing it up to put in the screws. I have the window raised up in the frame, per the Les Andrews book.

Any tips?
What page on Les' book did you find the information on the windows? Thanks
Darren Otey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:29 AM   #9
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Otey View Post
What page on Les' book did you find the information on the windows? Thanks
It must be page 1-363. Sorry for the late reply.