Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
txmike

Default Horn Rod

Hope this has not been asked before. I could not locate it by searching
I was going to re-wire my horn rod. Looks like Brattons horn rod repair kit would work.... comments?

Then - is there any way to remove the rod without taking the steering column out? I have a 1929 coupe.... i guess i could remove the rear window?

My concern is that the old wiring may not be working and part of my overall electrical problem.... Power to all points but the horn does not work when button is pressed. Rebuilt horn, works great on direct electric hook up.

Thoughts and any help appreciated.
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Horn Rod

If you take the light switch assembly down and ground the center contact will the horn sound--- if it works there then you have to go into the horn rod--- lift it up some and carefully bend the horn button ring tabs and the button and spring comes out--- put light switch back in, push rod down, should be able to feel it hitting the spring loaded contact in the light switch---- if horn sounds the wire is good, if spring under button is rusty that can cause your problems
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
burner31

Remove the bolts holding the steering box to the frame, remove the column clamp under the steering wheel/dash. The steering column will now lower enough to remove the horn rod.
If you pull the rod out the spider gear will have to be removed, be careful, it breaks easy, (always order two when you order these) and don't lose the horse shoe clip (it's small)
Before you go through all that to the very bottom of the horn rod, inside the light switch, sometimes the soldered tip can get dirty and not make a good contact, or it could be misaligned, should be a plastic piece between the tip and the rod, these can breakdown, break off.
All in all a new horn wire is an easy install/solder job. Less then a day
But like Kurt advises check other issues before going to a new horn wire ( do a continuity check on the horn wire)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:34 AM   #4
kenparker

Follow burner31's advise above about removing bolts and clamps, but, as the steering wheel and column aare lowwered is is still a very tight fit to get it out. It helps to also tilt the column outwars so the horn rod can be removed out the dooro and not over the package tray. Whatever you do DO NOT BEND the rod. If it gets bent it is the devil to get back in.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote