Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
Cool 33

Default Bonny and Clyde

Call for Cars and Period Fashion
Help Save the Bonnie and Clyde Filling Station

Saturday, March 7
12 noon - (optional) socialize with Rayleen and Buddy, Dutch Treat lunch at Babb Brothers BBQ & Blues (change from previous message) 3015 Gulden Ln, #105, Dallas, at the Trinity Groves Public Market.

2 PM - photo shoot at Barrow Gas Station

1221 Singleton Blvd, Dallas, about a 5 minute drive from Babb Bros.

Would you like to help save the Barrow Gas Station in Oak Cliff, Dallas, the area where Clyde Barrow grew up and where Bonnie and Clyde lived for a time? A press release is planned to publicize efforts to preserve the historic station.

Organizers are requesting several Model A's and other vintage cars, and folks in period costume, to participate in a photo shoot at the station on Saturday March 7. Local TV coverage is a possibility. Pictures will be used in the press releases and possible future publications. Bonnie's niece Rayleen and Clyde's nephew Buddy will be there. A newspaper photographer will be taking the pictures.

We'll meet at 12 noon at Babb Bros BBQ & Blues, 3015 Gulden Ln, #105, Dallas, for socializing and an optional Dutch Treat lunch. Then the photo shoot will start at 2 pm at the Barrow Gas Station, 1221 Singleton Blvd., Dallas, about a 5 minute drive from Babb Bros.

Please contact Lori Charbonneau at [email protected] (subject line: Bonnie and Clyde) or cell 520-906-3015 if you would like to participate.

In your message, please indicate if you would be bringing a car, dressing in period fashion or both.
Cool 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
History

Default Re: Bonny and Clyde

There's no way I can/could make it but I wish you guys the best of luck. I hope you can save the station. Seems there's an effort to remove history and start new. I'm either a moron or the people who are trying to erase history are, my bets on them.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
TerryO

Quote:
Seems there's an effort to remove history and start new. I'm either a moron or the people who are trying to erase history are, my bets on them.

Well said...

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

Terry, X10

People need to know History. As Sgt. Joe Friday on Dragnet would have said.....'Just the facts, ma'am.'
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
Joe K

Bonnie & Clyde "in their time" attracted a LOT of Media frenzy. The media at the time made much of B&C's "common" background, their supposed "putting it to the man" and a sort of "Robin Hood" sort of existence.

Wikipedia gets closer to the "real" B&C while acknowledging their attraction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_and_Clyde

Quote:
Bonnie Elizabeth Parker (October 1, 1910 – May 23, 1934) and Clyde Champion Barrow[1][2] (March 24, 1909 – May 23, 1934) were an American criminal couple who traveled the Central United States with their gang during the Great Depression, known for their bank robberies, although they preferred to rob small stores or rural gas stations. Their exploits captured the attention of the American press and its readership during what is occasionally referred to as the "public enemy era" between 1931 and 1934. They are believed to have murdered at least nine police officers and four civilians. They were killed in May 1934 during an ambush by police near Gibsland, Louisiana.
The press' portrayal of Bonnie and Clyde was sometimes at odds with the reality of their life on the road, especially for Parker. She was present at 100 or more felonies during the two years that she was Barrow's companion,[3] although she was not the cigar-smoking, machine gun-wielding killer depicted in newspapers, newsreels, and pulp detective magazines of the day. Nonetheless, numerous police accounts detail her attempts to murder police officers (although gang member W.D. Jones contradicted them at trial).[4][5] The picture of Parker smoking a cigar came from an undeveloped roll of negatives that police found at an abandoned hideout, and the snapshot was published nationwide. Parker did chain smoke Camel cigarettes, although she never smoked cigars.[6][notes 1] According to historian Jeff Guinn, the photos found at the hideout resulted in Parker's glamorization and the creation of myths about the gang.
The 1967 film Bonnie and Clyde, directed by Arthur Penn and starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in the title roles, revived interest in the criminals and glamorized them with a romantic aura.[7] The 2019 Netflix film, The Highwaymen, depicted the law's pursuit of Bonnie and Clyde.
Wiki goes on at length about the glamorization https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie...opular_culture

Also the death toll bolded above.

An interesting vignette exists in the movie "The Highwaymen," the scene between Frank Hamer (Fed Agent) and Henry Barrow (father of Clyde) The scene is dramatization but based on later writings of Hamer calls out the motivations of both Hamer and Barrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qRGss3VeQ

"Maybe there was something in him in the first place." (as in "no good.")

Joe K
Old 03-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Good points Joe and all true.

But I have to admit, I enjoy watching both the 1967 Faye Dunaway-Warren Beatty 'Bonnie and Clyde' film and the 'Highwayman' Netflix movie. If nothing else for the car scenes.

I like the Roadsters they drove in the '67 movie, especially the Washington Blue '30 Dlx. where they pick up C.W. Moss at the gas station. Clyde- 'Tell me boy, what was wrong with it??" CW- 'Dirt in the carburetor. Just blooooowed it a-way. (Turning to Faye Dunaway) Is there anything else I can do for you today ma'am?"
Old 03-05-2020, 11:27 PM   #7
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:33 PM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Both sides used this..makes big holes
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:56 AM   #9
77Birdman

I admit that from the time I first saw the movie as a child I idolized them. Just about everything about that movie is cool to a kid. However like Joe pointed out, they were simply thugs, and ruthless killers. I am a history buff and do believe the station holds a place and should be preserved in one form or another. From what I have read, the area is somewhat depressed and a developer is bringing new life to the area. I believe condos or some type of commercial structure is to be built where the station is now. I also think I read that he has offered it for sale to be moved. That sounds like a smart thing to do.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
AL in NY

Has anyone seen Kevin Costner's movie the "Highwayman". It really portrays Bonnie as a real "sicko" she liked to kill for fun. Here is a photo of the Clyde Barrow Gas station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clyde Barrow Gas Station.jpg (43.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #11
gdmn852

Hello,my interest in antique cars started after seeing Bonnie and Clyde in the late 1960,s and bought my 1930 Model A about that time. I agree with the above post with some people being morons about history,when I was doing Civil War reenacting I was asked “what side won?”I thought it was a joke but he was serious!!
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
gdmn852

Also the Doyle Johnson murder was over a Model A Ford roadster, Johnson was the owner and tried to prevent Clyde from stealing it and got shot. The Highwaymen is an interesting movie more accurate than Bonnie and Clyde,but it has never been proven that Bonnie ever shot anyone,Clyde certainly did ,stealing Browning Automatic Rifles from National Guard Armory.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
Sunnybrook Farm

The following links are of Clyde's sister in law Blanch posing on Model A's. Notice the original quail on the radiator. She was blinded in one eye when she was looking out a rear window and a bullet blew glass into her face, guess one should never look back.
If these links don't work just search on photo blanch barrow.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/810fe179...dhmro3_500.png

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/06/35/13/0...e655a501a3.jpg
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #14
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmn852 View Post
I agree with the above post with some people being morons about history,when I was doing Civil War reenacting I was asked “what side won?”I thought it was a joke but he was serious!!
No he was serious. Many "Southers" have adopted an attitude of "not my government" and to this day don't accept the March to the Sea.

And - actually there may be some merit in this. Not to go "political."

As in "define winning."

As a "norther" who worked the last five years of my career south of the Mason-Dixon Line, I was subject to all kinds of "good nature" fun. And rarely less than good. It helps to have a sense of humor - and a good come-back. Most southers of my experience are "gentlemen" (and women) who can teach a norther something of manners.

This one included. We here in the Northeast have forgotten a lot of "comportment."

Maybe its the cities?

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 03-06-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmn852 View Post
................ I agree with the above post with some people being morons about history,when I was doing Civil War reenacting I was asked “what side won?”I thought it was a joke but he was serious!!
Heck, everyone knows it was the Germans that won. Right after they bombed Pearl Harbor
Old 03-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #16
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Heck, everyone knows it was the Germans that won. Right after they bombed Pearl Harbor
Exactly, don't forget about Hitler annexing Australia.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
Exactly, don't forget about Hitler annexing Australia.
That's right shame on me, that happened right after they started running trains there direct from Germany with no border guards!! Went right thru India they did.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #18
gdmn852

Hello again ,The Who won question was asked in Ohio!! I also worked in Alabama for awhile,originally from Pennsylvania,they did seem to have a better appreciation for the past, generations of family lived in same area for 200 years,the north seems to be more mobile with less connected to the areas we live.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #19
TerryO

I wonder what the Model A will be like after they re-write that history like they are re-writing history in other areas...

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote