Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
whirnot

Default How much paint?

Anyone painted a 30-31 CCPU lately, that can give me an idea of how much paint needed for the Cab and Bed, two coats, single stage paint? Totally dismantled.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #2
JBill

Default Re: How much paint?

Will depend a little bit on type of sprayer. I believe HVLP guns use less paint.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:36 PM   #3
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
Will depend a little bit on type of sprayer. I believe HVLP guns use less paint.
Yes, it's an HVLP

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 02-10-2020, 11:37 PM   #4
Mike Peters

And don't forget the hood as well. A gallon will be plenty. You have to spray the inside of the cab and underneath, the bed underside. I did one a couple years ago and have about a quart left.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #5
holdover

A gallon will do it. Use a HVLP gun, the best you can afford or borrow off a friend or fellow club member. Not aware of your experience but prep is 90% of the job, and that is why it costs so much to have it done correctly.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:34 AM   #6
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Anyone painted a 30-31 CCPU lately, that can give me an idea of how much paint needed for the Cab and Bed, two coats, single stage paint? Totally dismantled.
Bill
I painted one a week ago. I use sherwin Williams single stage 2nd dimension 8-4-1 ( eight parts paint, 4 reducer , 1- hardener).
I used quite a bit painting underside , inside of cab, and all the wood. It soaked up a lot of paint. I like getting 4-6 coats on as it gives you enough to color sand and buff. 2 isn’t enough ! Even 3 isn’t enough.
I would get a gallon and half because by the time you paint everything including the underside frame rail pan, gas tank, visor , filler panel, etc you will be glad you did and Maybe have a quart leftover if needed down the road.
Don’t be stingy on the paint.

Just my 2-cents worth from doing my fair share.
Larry shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:43 AM   #7
larrys40

Bill , the above was just the cab, I painted the bed separately and I would include another 1/2 to 3/4 gallon for the Ned depending on if you are doing the underside.
Sorry I missed your note including the bed. Painting he underside and doing everything and all angles is quite a task.
I prefer to paint the beds elevated in their horizontal state so you can get all the angles. Makes doing a coupe or tudor a piece of cake !
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
Mike Peters

Correction to my earlier post. I forgot that I still have not painted the bed and have a quart left from the original gallon. That onlypainted the cab and hood. A quart won't paint the bed if you are painting the floor boards. So Larry's estimate of 1 1/2 gallon is more on the mark.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:

I am not trying to be disagreeable with the advice you have already received above but your question is much akin to asking 'How long does it take to catch a fish?'. I'm not sure we can give you an accurate answer with the info you gave us.

Single stage paint comes in many varieties such as enamels and urethanes. Then you break that down by which brand and the mix ratios accordingly. For example, PPG's Concept DCC line mixes 4:2:1 ...meaning you will get 7 sprayable quarters from one gallon of paint. Other brands such as Axalta (-formerly DuPont) have single stage paints where a gallon of paint is formulated at 3 quarts of paint and 1 quart of hardener which yields 4 sprayable quarts of paint. The ratio would be 3:1. This can sometimes be stretched to 4½ to 5 sprayable quarts if reducers are used however the mixture becomes more translucent or less opaque so you use more coats to achieve coverage.

Then we start comparing spray guns. The higher quality sprays guns such as the Iwata and Sata guns have the ability to atomize the paint better when it is sprayed. This allows for lower cap pressure which results in less overspray into the air and more application of paint to the surface. These guns mentioned are HVLP guns -however so is the $20.00 spray gun sold by Harbor Freight. Therefore do not be fooled into thinking just because it is HVLP that you will use less materials. FWIW, there are some older siphon guns such as the Binks #7 that will use less paint and atomize it better than some of the cheapie entry-level HVLP guns.

And finally, at first thought, a truck cab does seem small however much of the interior must also be sprayed since it is visible too. Then you did not mention whether you are painting the bed wood, ...which we all know the bed wood can be a paint sponge in itself.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #10
bluardun

Gallon & a half... I gallon & 2 quarts.
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
whirnot

Ok, this has become an interesting conversation. I am surprised the amounts are as high as they are. As Brent mentioned, I didn't really give enough info.
I am using Urethane 8:1:2. The data sheets call for 2 coats, one medium wet coat, And one full wet coat.
I am planning on color sanding and buffing, I was planning on Three coats, past experience was that was enough. I am not opposed to going with another.
I am doing the bed as well, but cannot buff it as I would never get the compound out of the crevices. Maybe that's why Henry didn't buff them out. The wood is new and varnished. I agree with Brent, that the Binks #7 is a fantastic gun. But after using an HVLP to prime the fenders and splash shields, I really like them.
I didn't go cheap, I have two good quality primer guns, and a very good finish gun.
And the comment about preparation? That's no lie, I am 7 weeks into pepping the fenders and splash shields, and finally ready for their paint.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 02-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #12
gdmn852

Hello,different type of car ,49 Buick convertible, but I used a gallon of base coat and used it all. This includes painting in doors ,firewall,in trunk, dashboard,interior moldings,and rest of the car .Wish I had ordered more for touch ups.With the clear coat the complete panel will need done ,much like enamel systems when stone chips appear .Best to have some left over just for that reason.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #13
Tinbasher

I find the average A will take 6 quarts of single stage by the time you get the body and the fenders and parts painted. I would buy a gallon of the body colour. That way when your done you should have 1 qt. for the future if you need it. Welcome to the world of painting!!
(And a gallon of Black) The big thing is being use to the product your using.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #14
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
I find the average A will take 6 quarts of single stage by the time you get the body and the fenders and parts painted. I would buy a gallon of the body colour. That way when your done you should have 1 qt. for the future if you need it. Welcome to the world of painting!!
(And a gallon of Black) The big thing is being use to the product your using.
I am used to using urethanes, but it's been more than a few years. But as I recall it only took about a gallon to paint a Semi tractor.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 02-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:

I am using Urethane 8:1:2. The data sheets call for 2 coats, one medium wet coat, And one full wet coat.

I am planning on color sanding and buffing, I was planning on Three coats, past experience was that was enough. I am not opposed to going with another.

I am doing the bed as well, but cannot buff it as I would never get the compound out of the crevices.

Your 8:1:2 mix ratio sounds like Axalta's cheaper paint line. In essence, you are only getting 5½ sprayable quarts when mixed. We tried the Nason line back when DuPont owned it and felt like the solids content was not very good. We have since tried the ChromaPremier line since being sold to Axalta and chose to go back to PPG's DCC line due to poor coverage. If you are able to get good coverage with two-coating, then my hat is off to you. We were not that fortunate.

As for colorsanding, you are probably aware, there is a fine line between not enough, -and too many coats. For those unaware, too many coats typically adds a texture to the paint surface often called orange peel. Less coats properly applied tends to flow-out better however even then it often needs to be colorsanded and buffed. When the mil thickness of the paint is less, it is very easy to buff or polish thru the paint surface.

Use ¼" tape on all the edges (-like around the stake pockets and rivets) to keep the compound media from penetrating, and to keep the buffing pad from burning the edge.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #16
whirnot

I hadn't thought of the 1/4" tape, thanks.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 02-14-2020, 07:17 PM   #17
whirnot

Brent,
After your comment about low solids content and coverage, I was blown away by how well the Nason paint
covered. I went with three coats, but I think two might have been sufficient. So far just under a quart for all fenders and splash should, bottom, and rear fenders and splash shields top. Happy so far....
But your comments and insight is always appreciated.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's