Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #21
Ranchero50

Default Re: Ok, I've got a question for the Northerners....long.

Put a shed roof over the front of the garage so you can protect both yours and her cars while keeping the garage clear for emergencies.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #22
oldschoolrodder62

Move south. I lived up north all my life. Been down here 5 years Run my old cars year round
oldschoolrodder62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #23
Curtis in MA

If anyone in your club is working on their car, go and help.
Do you have a one or double garage door? Hang a tarp floor to ceiling between the two cars. Then you can work on the other side or take the tarp down when the door is closed.
Curtis in MA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #24
John Dayhuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in MA View Post
If anyone in your club is working on their car, go and help.
Do you have a one or double garage door? Hang a tarp floor to ceiling between the two cars. Then you can work on the other side or take the tarp down when the door is closed.
Yeah I think I'm gonna do that, through this thread I was invited to come join some guys not far from here to show them how to change out a transmission....LOL. Just kidding of course, I wouldn't know the first thing about that but hey I can hold a flash light with the best of them.

I have a tarp between the two cars, the A is covered in blankets, a cover, and extra tarps trying to keep that salty air, wind and rain out. Sucks because all I have is pictures to look at until it gets better weather.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #25
kimlinh

Don't be in a hurry to drive your beautiful car on salty Michigan roads. (Isn't there a salt mine under the city of Detroit?). I have the same problems you do (Car, Wife, Garage). The NFL helps a little but its not enough. Maybe we should start a support group.
kimlinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #26
dbaldwi3

Yep move to Florida, I left Michigan a long time ago. No regrets. And my cars thanked me!(no potholes!)
dbaldwi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #27
Cool Hand Lurker

Minnesota is currently -4º and snow on the way. The Model A works great in snow, don't need to go to Florida.
Here is what you do instead. Take that Florida money and use it to put heat, water and a floor drain in your old car garage. Turn up the heat, hang the tarps, drive in the snow, when you get back turn on the water and take the hose and wash down the car. Get a curved extension so you can spray underneath too. Wipe it down. Go in the house, turn up the heat, grab a hot brandy, plop in the recliner.
Oh yeah, you can make a lot more room if you sell the 'vette.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:34 PM   #28
gdmn852

Saw this determined Roadster owner in West Virginia last March sleet all over and temperatures around the 20,s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93C2A026-E1B4-4AA5-B466-65AF23718E3A.jpg (76.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg D3EC2DED-6844-4BE9-96CB-10015D682171.jpg (76.3 KB, 29 views)
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #29
John Dayhuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
Minnesota is currently -4º and snow on the way. The Model A works great in snow, don't need to go to Florida.
Here is what you do instead. Take that Florida money and use it to put heat, water and a floor drain in your old car garage. Turn up the heat, hang the tarps, drive in the snow, when you get back turn on the water and take the hose and wash down the car. Get a curved extension so you can spray underneath too. Wipe it down. Go in the house, turn up the heat, grab a hot brandy, plop in the recliner.
Oh yeah, you can make a lot more room if you sell the 'vette.
Hmm....I'll take it all under consideration, we'll except for selling the Vette part. It was my dream car growing up and I finally acquired it in 2003 so it's got a warm spot in my heart. BUT, if I had to choose I'd sell it over the Phaeton.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:27 AM   #30
al's28/33

John,
We feel your pain and frustration, hang in there buddy!! Keep posting on this site and keep in touch with your local club friends. We all help and support each other here, save for the random sarcasm. You got family close by with some available land for a Tuff-Shed or empty garage space to let your Phaeton spread out ?
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:07 AM   #31
CarlG

I live in Alaska with a ‘70s 2 car garage. My Model A occupies half of that, my work bench and my wife’s school stuff (she’s a teacher) occupies the rest. Therefore our “modern” (2004 & 2005) SUV’s remain parked outside. Last night it was 10 below zero.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:10 AM   #32
John Dayhuff

Talking Re: Ok, I've got a question for the Northerners....long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
John,
We feel your pain and frustration, hang in there buddy!! Keep posting on this site and keep in touch with your local club friends. We all help and support each other here, save for the random sarcasm. You got family close by with some available land for a Tuff-Shed or empty garage space to let your Phaeton spread out ?

Yeah I've thought about the off my property thing but I'd be way too nervous about it, bad enough I fear that something could happen here but even more so if it's out of my sight. Too many crazy people in this world who don't own Model A's.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I need like a support group and I think I found it here. You guys have been great, even the sarcasm one's. Yeah I'm still pretty new here but I've lived on other forums and sometimes you have to pretty thick skin so I got that going for me too.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #33
davehc

Thumbs up Re: Ok, I've got a question for the Northerners....long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
Sounds like you need a working garage to build you a beater A in. I knew an old widower who was into Ts years ago. He and his son had plans to build a garage so the old man would have more room for his model Ts. The dad calls up son one day to tell him the garage is finished. The son is confused. He was just there the previous weekend and footers hadn’t been dug yet.
He rushes over that evening to check on dad. The old man had sawn the living room floor out of the old farmhouse, poured concrete and installed a roll up door.
Makes perfect sense he said. I don’t need all this room living here alone and now I don’t have to go out in the cold to work on my Ts in the winter. Sure enough the first time I went to visit there was model T in the parlor!

I like the way this guy thinks , sounds like something I would do .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #34
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehc View Post
I like the way this guy thinks , sounds like something I would do .
There was a story that my brother told me of his friend in high school. The friends father (a model T owner) went blind, had his car disassembled and put back together in the basement. He would sit in it with the motor running because he liked the sound so much. I pass by the house occasionally and often wonder if the car is still in there.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #35
jetrod

I use my covered car trailer for an extra parking space.
jetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #36
mike657894

Dont worry about the salt jumping from the daily to the A. Im in michigan, road looks dry out side. you could take a ride up and down your street with no worry of salting your car. Its the wet slurry of salt that you get driving on the moist or wet days that rots the cars. the side streets and neighbor hoods get less salt than the main roads. Just take it for small cruises around home on dry days.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #37
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dayhuff View Post
It was originally a two car garage, then I added on a third stall and parked a Corvette in it. Now the Phaeton is parked in there as well that means I have two older cars parked in the garage while my everyday truck sits outside and her van is in the garage. I'm sorta pushing my luck already as it is.
The plot thickens, now you have a Corvette taking up space too. What else haven't you told us??
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #38
John Dayhuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
The plot thickens, now you have a Corvette taking up space too. What else haven't you told us??
We'll thats it for cars but I do collect pinball machines too (among other things). None in the garage there all in the house...
Old 01-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #39
John Dayhuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrod View Post
I use my covered car trailer for an extra parking space.
Yeah I've given that some deep thought as well but I don't think it's the long term answer that I'm looking for. What about one those accordion wall dividers that hang from a track suspended from the garage ceiling? Have it like in a L shape and then I could just push it back, take the car out and pull it back around the car when I'm done? I'd still keep the car covered as much as I can but it seems like that would be simple and easy, just not sure how we'll it would keep out the salty air and snow....etc.?
Old 01-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #40
ed thibodeau

If you live in Michigan you need an old pickup to drive in the winter. My 31 widebed works fine for me. Livingston Michigan.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote