Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #41
deuce lover

Default Re: arturos 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by elturo View Post
No way I'm running sealed beams! Yanked them too. I'm working on another head light trim ring and lens. I only had one.
l.Found a lens and ring for you.Check your email
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #42
zzlegend

Quote:
I'm really fortunate to have it. I love it.

Here's a better picture.
Ya, They look like they might be installed on the wrong side. You will know more when you get it apart. Then you can see which way the bigger part of the wheel cylinder is facing and where the longer shoe is located.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #43
koates

Hi elturo, Nice old 36 ford. I always feel disappointed when the first things a new owner plans for are a dropped front axle, wide wheels, hot engine etc, etc. The 36 Ford V8 is one of the nicest fords ever built and all those modifications wont improve its looks in my book. The 289 in it would be nice but you have a nice car so why, why, why bugger it up. Heaps of modified ones around but not so many restored or stock looking ones. Think long and hard before you mess it up. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #44
elturo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
l.Found a lens and ring for you.Check your email
Great find. Perfect. Thank you for the heads up !

I need to find out what I need to make them "complete" I have the buckets, rings and lenses. That's it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.8 KB, 12 views)
elturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #45
elturo

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Hi elturo, Nice old 36 ford. I always feel disappointed when the first things a new owner plans for are a dropped front axle, wide wheels, hot engine etc, etc. The 36 Ford V8 is one of the nicest fords ever built and all those modifications wont improve its looks in my book. The 289 in it would be nice but you have a nice car so why, why, why bugger it up. Heaps of modified ones around but not so many restored or stock looking ones. Think long and hard before you mess it up. Regards, Kevin.
Thank you for you sound and honest advice. I thought about every point you mentioned. When I bought the car it did not have a motor or steering column. Other wise it was pretty complete. I have a new 289 SBF so that's why i'm going with it. I'm trying to keep as much as original as I can. I even want to run the spare tire. I'm still learning and evolving as this build furthers along. I have a friend here who builds flat heads. He's doing all he can to build and drop in there. Who knows !
Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #46
elturo

I was informed that the car I have is considered a Standard vs Deluxe. (by now I should have known that) I like the black windshield frame, but It looks like I may have to replace it. Black or chrome? I don't mind the one tail light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36frame.jpg (73.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 36trunk2.jpg (36.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #47
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
I was informed that the car I have is considered a Standard vs Deluxe. (by now I should have known that) I like the black windshield frame, but It looks like I may have to replace it. Black or chrome? I don't mind the one tail light.
Not difficult to add the right side taillight if that is something you would want. I think it is much safer to drive with two tail lights and with the addition of turn signals. I would also add a third tail light to the back window. The trim around the back window would be a matter of preference I would think.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #48
Terry,OH

You need reflectors 48-13028, reflector clips 48-13029, clips to retain the glass lens to the ring 48-13061 and a seal for the reflector to the glass lens A-13066. Since you are not showing the buckets it is hard to tell if you need more. You may need wiring harness for the 2330-6V headlight bulb and the parking light bulb 6V with the proper light bulb sockets 48-13076. The numbers above are from Mac's Catalog.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #49
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Thanks Fe26. I'm very familiar with the hamb. I'm just looking on a fresh set of eyes with this build. I know what language they will use. Bag it, chop it, mustang2, taildragger, SBC... etc. I'm sure I will eventually post a thread on the hamb. Right now I was hoping to learn about the 36 in it's original state, so I can make decisions on what to do & what not to do. The car is so nice that I am trying to keep it as original as possible. How do I do this and make it a comfortable safe driver? Or do I build it oirginal, right, stock, and buy a trailer?
I appreciate eveyones opinions and value the input everyone has to offer. Maybe I'll go with a flattie.. we'll see !
Build it stock and drive it. 36's drive great as Henry built 'em. You don't need no stinkin trailer.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #50
Gumpy

elturo welcome to the barn nice lookin cooop,,,enjoy your restoration, I am glad you are doin it your way!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #51
Ken Bull

For the best info and illustrations of the 35 & 36 in original state buy a COPY OF the 1935-36 FORD BOOK FROM THE EARLY FORD v8 CLUB OF AMERICA! Enjoy!!!
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #52
Rusk

Quote:
Mike, That's great info on the wide 5's. I just may need that. I plan to run skirts in the rear and a flipper hub cap up front. I'm thinking the flipper cap may require a plain steel wheel. I'm not sure? However, If the W5 is available, I'm not opposed. I plan to run black walls, not wide whites.
Yes...many of the aftermarket companies that made flippers offered them for the wide-5 wheel. They don't come up for sale very often, but they're out there.
Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #53
elturo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bull View Post
For the best info and illustrations of the 35 & 36 in original state buy a COPY OF the 1935-36 FORD BOOK FROM THE EARLY FORD v8 CLUB OF AMERICA! Enjoy!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
Yes...many of the aftermarket companies that made flippers offered them for the wide-5 wheel. They don't come up for sale very often, but they're out there.
Thank you all for the helpful information. @Ken. I didn't know about the book or EARLY FORD v8 CLUB OF AMERICA. Thanks, ill buy the book!

@Rusk. I found 3 flipper caps! I just need to find 16" rims they'll fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flippers.jpg (34.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-21-2015, 05:55 AM   #54
35cab

I would echo Kens suggestion on the 35-36 book, really great source of information, good illustrations.
I have had it by my bedside since I was given as a present 9 years ago.
Good luck with the coupe, even if you go the the overhead route, they will never catch on those new fangled engines!
Whatever route you choose I look forward to seeing progress.
35cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #55
elturo

I visited with a friend this weekend who builds flat heads. Over several hours, he offered me many ideas & options on which way I could go and should go. So I took the weekend to ponder what I was going to do. The bottom line is, I decided to go with the flat head and ditch the 289 idea. I have already scored a 255 out of a 50' Merc. I'm really trying not to cut up my car so it seems in the long run, the FH is the best way to go. The pictures are a few motors he's built and had at his shop. Thanks again for every ones help and input..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fh2.jpg (42.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg fh1.jpg (45.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg doowop.jpg (27.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg fh3.jpg (45.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #56
19Fordy

Keep the straight axle and avoid the Mustang II temptation.
Mustang II's are for street rods.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #57
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Lots of flathead support on the Barn! And it is much more unique and nostalgic than the 289.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #58
elturo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Keep the straight axle and avoid the Mustang II temptation.
Mustang II's are for street rods.
Drop axle for sure. Going through Sid for that.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #59
Jason in TX

Is this blue shoebox Arturo Arturo?

Congrats on the 36, and the flathead!

A different set of gears in the rear, or an overdrive spliced into the torque tube, or an overdrive trans will really help you enjoy that flattie more.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #60
elturo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Is this blue shoebox Arturo Arturo?

Congrats on the 36, and the flathead!

A different set of gears in the rear, or an overdrive spliced into the torque tube, or an overdrive trans will really help you enjoy that flattie more.
Jason(elrod?) Yes this is Arturo with the blue shoe.
I know you have all the cool flat head stuff ! I'm sure I'll be picking your brain for your flat head expertise.