Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
T&A Flathead

Default Transmission question

Was there a such thing as a bolt on replacement transmission that is an automatic-ish trans for a model A.
The reason for the question is: a 31 coupe was just handed down to an old friend of mine from his great uncle. The car is an unrestored nice original. The great uncle (who has owned it for well over 50yrs) claims it has some rare automatic drive transmission. He didn't install it.
Was there an old conversion, or an after market trans available long ago?
I will find out more this weekend when I get to look at the car. I've never heard of such thing.

Thanks
T&A Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Transmission question

Those Wonderful Unauthorized Accessories book has a couple of pages about some sort of "automatic shifting/clutching" adaptation to the Model A three speed.

I don't have the book in front of me so I can't scan the pages.

Joe K
Old 02-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
T&A Flathead

Wow , thanks for the reply. I need to find one of those books.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
tbirdtbird
BANNED

the suppliers have them such as Bratton and Snyder
a very interesting book
they made all manner of crazy aftermarket stuff for both the T and the A
Old 02-11-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
J Franklin

Most likely it is a free wheeling modification if it was done years ago.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:43 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Most likely it is a free wheeling modification if it was done years ago.
I also recall seeing a centrifugal clutch in that yellow book.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #7
tbirdtbird
BANNED

OK i just looked again.
In the front there are several pages of free-wheeling units and automatic vacuum operated shifters linked to use of the clutch, self operating clutches, etc. and all kinds of crazy stuff. Also saw an automatic spark advance gizmo by Phillips.

I wish you could still order this stuff. Just to see what in the dickens the engineers came up with.

I saw an elaborate automatic clutch/shift deal (vacuum operated) on a 40s Hudson once. An incredibly complicated contraption, and they were said to have all failed very early on. Most owners had removed them, but this guy left it on for show (it was not functional)

This kind of automotive history is fascinating. The thought of an 'automatic' transmission was there they just did not know how to pull it off. Just as GM introduced the first synchronizers on the '38 LaSalle, companion car to the Cadillac. They wanted to try it out on that car and not tarnish the Cadillac if it failed. Later GM was the first to develop a working automatic tranny in the late '40s in the form that we know it. Interesting that the Model T had a planetary tranny (which forms the basis of a modern automatic tranny). If only Henry had put some solenoids on there to operate the bands instead of the driver using his feet.....he could have made the claim of the first automatic tranny.
A major stimulus to all these efforts was to make the cars easier for women to drive, and thus buy

BTW a free-wheeling unit allows you to shift the car without using the clutch, as long as your speed is below 20 mph. Of course, you still have to feather the stock service clutch to get off the line from a dead stop. Free-wheelers can do this because they incorporate a so-called 'sprag' clutch, which is an automatic process based on one-way rollers

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 02-11-2015 at 11:28 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:59 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
OK i just looked again.
In the front there are several pages of free-wheeling units and automatic vacuum operated shifters linked to use of the clutch, self operating clutches, etc. and all kinds of crazy stuff. Also saw an automatic spark advance gizmo by Phillips.

I wish you could still order this stuff. Just to see what in the dickens the engineers came up with.

I saw an elaborate automatic clutch/shift deal (vacuum operated) on a 40s Hudson once. An incredibly complicated contraption, and they were said to have all failed very early on. Most owners had removed them, but this guy left in on for show (it was not functional)

This kind of automotive history is fascinating. The thought of an 'automatic' transmission was there they just did not know how to pull it off. Just as GM introduced the first synchronizers on the '38 LaSalle, companion car to the Cadillac. They wanted to try it out on that car and not tarnish the Cadillac if it failed. Later GM was the first to develop a working automatic tranny in the late '40s in the form that we know it. Interesting that the Model T had a planetary tranny (which forms the basis of a modern automatic tranny). If only Henry had put some solenoids on there to operate the bands instead of the driver using his feet.....he could have made the claim of the first automatic tranny.
A major stimulus to all these efforts was to make the cars easier for women to drive, and thus buy

BTW a free-wheeling unit allows you to shift the car without using the clutch, as long as your speed is below 20 mph. Of course, you still have to feather the stock service clutch to get off the line from a dead stop. Free-wheelers can do this because they incorporate a so-called 'sprag' clutch, which is an automatic process based on one-way rollers
Very interesting and informative, thanks ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
T&A Flathead

Thanks guys for all the info. I will craw all over it when I get a chance to see it. My old friend doesn't really want the car so I am trying to align myself up to have the first shot at it.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

After you "inspect" it, please come back and give us the "skinny" on what it actually is.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
crock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post

Those Wonderful Unauthorized Accessories book has a couple of pages about some sort of "automatic shifting/clutching" adaptation to the Model A three speed.

I don't have the book in front of me so I can't scan the pages.

Joe K
there was a self-operating clutch available. you simply press a dash control to place either system in use. sold by the automatic drive & transmission co. in glouchester city, nj ( of course back in the day)
Old 02-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
T&A Flathead

Thanks for all the info guys.
Well, my chances of acquiring the coupe are fading fast. That's ok, it's ending up staying in the family and closer to its home.

The family is going to let me come see it and help them get aquanted with it.

As soon as I get a chance to investigate the transmission, I will let you know what I find.