Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
bugsiegel

Default oddity at hot restart

the f1 is on the road one week after an engine rebuild. The truck was last registered in the 80's
New fuel tank,6vlt battery, radiator,fuel pump. Airtex 8psi pump installed on the frame of the truck below the tank. then sold line which passes 1.5 inches above the head before it turns up to the carb. See photo
Early in the week I drove it someplace and parked for half a minute. Went to restart it and the starter did not have enough strength to spin the engine over. I waited 7 munutes with the hood open and then shut the hood. Then a gentleman came over and we had a 10 minute conversation before he left. Pushed the button and it cranked strong with no issue.

The next day I was at an auto parts store and when I came out again the starter did not have the strength to spin the engine. I waited a long time but this time it would not come back. I pulled the plugs and then cranked the engine and it was evident the battery was weak. Put the plugs back in and pushed started the truck and drove almost all the way home before it died and had no electric at all. With some help in here, after recharging the battery, we determined the regulator was not recharging the battery. Supplier shipped the regulator out right away and to my surprise it was at my door yesterday. Almost before the UPS guy left my driveway ( you guys understand) the new regulator was in the truck.
regulator working properly and the voltage gauge on the dash is now on the charge side of the graph and moving with the rpm's. The old one was just discharging and no movement with the rpm's. Went for a drive and made a 10 minute stop. Truck restarted with no issues.

Last night just as it was starting to get dark I went back to Advance auto parts to buy a mechanical oil pressure gauge and was in the store for 5 minutes. All the way there I'm watching the electrical gauge and it worked properly. When I went to restart again the starter could not spin over the engine. I waited 5 more minutes and the same. This time I didn't wait. the guy at Advance was taking out the trash and I seen my opportunity for another push start. We push started the truck and I drove home with no issues. Charging gauge working properly. In my driveway I shut it down and tried a restart. Started just fine a few times.

When I say the starter could not spin the engine I mean just that. Either the forces of the engine are to great for the starter or this starter is too weak for the engine. But the starter never sounds different whether its successful or not.The starter always sounds healthy. I believe the problem rests not with the starter. I believe I have a greater issue and in the middle of my two experiences I had a regulator issue which has been remedied.

My question is this. What would happen to that fuel sitting just above the head when the truck is parked and hot? Should this be rerouted away from that heat? I have read about insulating the fuel line in the engine compartment. What kind of insulation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4532.jpg (60.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
41ford1

Default Re: oddity at hot restart

You have an electrical problem you haven't found yet. Start with cleaning and tightening all the connections between the battery and starter and all the ground points. Something as simple as a dirty battery terminal can cause what is happening.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
G.M.

Loose connections or small 12 volt battery cables. Fix this problem before getting into the next one or you never get anything fixed. Could be bad satrter also but most times it's the cables. Feel for a place on the connections and cables that gets hot and you found the problem. These engines don't have to spin over to start, with properly working components they start on the first turn everytime. G.M.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Planojc

With a fresh rebuild, make sure the area where the starter flange bolts to the engine is clean and has no paint, for better ground contact.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

WHY are you running an 8# pressure in the fuel line.You could be flooding the engine when you shut down from residual pressure over comming the inlet needle in the carb. Max pressure is 3 lbs on these carbs. Most guys run like 2#. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Ken/Alabama

Starter solenoid could also be bad causing a high resistance when trying to start, and when the engine is hot it makes it even worse .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
bugsiegel

GMLoose connections or small 12 volt battery cables) what do you mean by small 12vlt battery cables? I"m still on 6vlt. Want to be sure I'm not missing something here.

Ken CT: is there a way to dial back the pressure from the pump? It's just the pump I ordered from summit. that was the application they had for 6vlt or a least what the sales rep on the phone sold me. There is a Holley 4 barrel covered by that filter.

There is something mounted on the firewall just right of the battery and the hot (-) lead goes through it before moving on. Would this be the solenoid for the starter?

It's drizzling but later I will go over all the electrical connections to the starter from the battery. Today I had a successful restart after a short stop.
As always thanks for the help...
Old 05-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

Have no idea what a 4 barrel will handle as far as pressure. Your not stock so i have no idea??? ken ct/

Last edited by ken ct; 05-26-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Barry-ct

He means the cables could be a small guage wire and getting hot and losing voltage to the starter. 6v cables are usually 00 guage ( thick and heavy ) 12v are usually about 1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter ( I forget the guage ). Check to see if you have corrosion down inside of the cables. As mentioned above, check all connections for corrosion ander cable connections. Wouldn't hurt to put a grond cable from bellh ousing to frame. THat's the solenoid you're talking about on the firewall. Take the cables off and clean the studs and the cable ends.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
41ford1

12 volt cables are smaller gauge wire than what was originally used on 6 volt systems. Smaller gage wire = more resitance. The round can "thing" on the firewall is the starter solenoid.
As far as fuel pressure goes. If the carb could not handle the pressure you would know by now. Look up the specs on the carb. They should have the recommended pressure range listed.

Beat me to it Barry.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
makemc

all your cables need to be # 2.. from bat. to grd. and to starter soln. and to starter..and use the heavy duty braided grd strap from eng to frame and body, it makes all the differance, if your starter and gen. and regulator and bat. are in good condition, you want have any problems starting . when my truck was up and running, before I tore it down to do a total restore, it would start every time, even on the hottest days after driving..and I live in Fl.
makemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Scott De Shields

Should run a fuel regulator. I have a 5 pound pressure fuel pump with a regulator dialed in for 3.5 pounds on my Holley four barrel
Scott De Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
George/Maine

I think you need the starter rebuilt.Some times when the end bearing get worn it won,t turn when hot.Bearing or bushing.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
BrianCT

A new rebuild can sometime be tight until it wears in, especially when hot.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
Mike in AZ

next time you're at auto parts store, get battery checked also...good luck.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote