Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
Timmmy Taylor

Default Barn Find 1946 Tudor.

Hi everyone, my name is Haydn and I just joined the forum.

I am hoping to find out more about my recent barn find here in Detroit.

I was told by the owners son (his father passed away around 5 years ago and was a hoarder), that he believes the car is a 1946 Ford Tudor, which aligns with the big grille.

Here is the story I know so far…..

The car had been in a 2 car garage for at least 40 years, as the owners son who is in his 60’s remembers sneaking into the garage when he was a kid and he pretended to drive it.

When I found the garage that was part of an estate sale a friend happened upon, my friend called me and said there were two old cars in the garage. I went and took a look and the entire garage was packed floor to ceiling with stuff, furniture and all manner of…stuff. I couldn’t see much other than the very back of a 65 Mustang, and the top rear 1/4 of the Ford. I made the guy an offer on the entire contents of the garage mostly sight unseen, much like the show ‘storage wars’, and he accepted.

When it came time I cleared out the garage and got the 2 cars back to my shop in Detroit.

After some jet washing and investigation, the Tudor is really interesting. The back window has ‘Car In Tow’ in red tape and it had towing lights on it. Up front there is a flat tow A-frame still attached. It has an Alabama license plate on it. My guess it was towed from Alabama to Detroit and put in the garage and that was that.

Now the really interesting part, when I got the hood open I saw something I did not expect, a Buick Nailhead with a generator on a 6v charge system I believe. In the drivers side front windscreen there is a ‘Getz Geared’ sticker. Under the dash are some very old school aftermarket oil pressure, temperature gauges.

I managed to find the stamped number on the drivers side frame, close to the radiator and after some wire brushing and brake cleaner I believe it reads 1818375 (star) {or maybe I8I8375 Star} . So my first question is can anyone decipher anything about the car from the frame number. Clearly I cannot check the engine number as someone swapped in the nail head I am guessing in the 50’s or 60’s.

Yesterday I was able to crank over the Nailhead, no spark but it isn't seized.

Thats my story so far, here are some pictures and I hope the community here can help me figure out what this thing really is.

My intention is to try and find the car's history, who hot rodded it and when, but it's a long shot. The car is basically rust free & I intend to restore it to its vintage hot rod build and use it.

Thanks

Haydn
Timmmy Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Barn Find 1946 Tudor.

Check out Van Pelt's serial number info, looks like maybe a 1947?
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
alanwoodieman

you have at the least an Alabama hot rod or you could have a "shine hauler"-lots of this era cars were equipped with nailhead Buicks. these engines are sought after
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
jayvee34

If the parking lights are rectangular and are above the grille between the hood and head lights it could be a 1942 or 1946 or a late 1947 (no pictures to see). If the parking lights
are round and below the head lights it is a 1947 or 1948. If the ignition switch is a key
only and not a steering wheel lock it is a 1948.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
Timmmy Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
you have at the least an Alabama hot rod or you could have a "shine hauler"-lots of this era cars were equipped with nailhead Buicks. these engines are sought after
That is exactly what was floating about in my mind. pretty cool either way.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #6
Timmmy Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvee34 View Post
If the parking lights are rectangular and are above the grille between the hood and head lights it could be a 1942 or 1946 or a late 1947 (no pictures to see). If the parking lights
are round and below the head lights it is a 1947 or 1948. If the ignition switch is a key
only and not a steering wheel lock it is a 1948.
The front parking lights are rectangular and above the
Old 05-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
FritzJr

We are eagerly awaiting pictures of your find.
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmmy Taylor View Post
I managed to find the stamped number on the drivers side frame, close to the radiator and after some wire brushing and brake cleaner I believe it reads 1818375 (star) {or maybe I8I8375 Star} . So my first question is can anyone decipher anything about the car from the frame number. Clearly I cannot check the engine number as someone swapped in the nail head I am guessing in the 50’s or 60’s.

Your number on the frame should read:

*799-1818375* for a 1947 serial number. NOTE: That is a "STAR" at EACH end of the number! Ford blocks of that vintage did NOT have serial numbers stamped into them, although the original TRANSMISSION did have that number stamped on blank pad above clutch inspection hole. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #9
leon bee

I saw your pictures over on another forum, and I like that car. I mean, she's pretty ugly, but I like the apparent history and the engine.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #10
alanwoodieman

Getz Gears--could mean a high speed rear axle--3:25, 3:54 or even lower would also lead to a shine hauler. run the tag thru and see what part of the state it came from
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #11
Timmmy Taylor

Alright, got the first set of pictures up finally. My computer and phone have decided they don't like each other today!

These first pics are in the garage it came out of.

I have a bunch more at my shop, but I haven't gotten them to sync yet. I might have to go old school and force it

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zJ8GySPJRBnts
Old 05-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #12
jayvee34

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Your number on the frame should read:

*799-1818375* for a 1947 serial number. NOTE: That is a "STAR" at EACH end of the number! Ford blocks of that vintage did NOT have serial numbers stamped into them, although the original TRANSMISSION did have that number stamped on blank pad above clutch inspection hole. DD
Thanks V8COOPMAN, This validates my statement inre., to the 1947 early model car with the 1946 parking lights position.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #13
jimTN

looks like a good one. Would like to see a shot of the underneath at the rear, to show rear end and any added shocks.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
jayvee34

Great pictures, thanks Haydn, BTW, that is a early 1947. The dash with the gold instrument background came on the 47 & 48 models, 46's where maroon.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #15
FritzJr

From your pictures, the wheels appear to be 1949-50 Mercury. The stainless trim on the hood is smooth and is from a 1947 or 48 Ford. However the front fender trim is ridged which indicates 1946 or very early '47.
The Buick engine is probably coupled to the original transmission. The serial number is stamped on the top of the bell housing region of the transmission. If it is the original transmission, it should match the frame serial number.
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #16
drolston

In about 1961 I put a 57 Buick V8 in my '48 Ford Coupe. Pretty easy swap. Had to move the steering box a little. Ran pretty strong, but I missed the sound of the flathead.

The bootleggers preferred the coupes, because you could get more cases in them, and much of the weight in front of the rear axle. Most added extra leaf or two in the rear spring so they would look level when loaded.

How do I know these things? Tribal knowledge among the ones I ran sugar to, because I worked at the Farm Bureau and could buy 50 lb without having to sign for it. They were pretty innovative "shade tree" hot rodders. Merc crank, Merc cam, and shaved heads gave them all they needed (or could afford). Dual exhaust was a give-away, but they gutted the mufflers. Top end was not an issues on the roads they ran, but acceleration was, so they used 4.11 rear end gears.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #17
jayvee34

I had a 1950 F1 with a 56 Buick nailhead adapted to a 48 F1 top loader transmission.
Drove it for awhile, sold the engine and trans, still have the Buick to flathead trans
adapter, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, and pilot bushing.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #18
chain drive

looks like a 52-56 6 cly. radiator good find smell the carpet might have lost some
chain drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #19
rustythumb

wheels look like 70's or 80's pick up.
rustythumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #20
mercman from oz

Pictures of the Barn Find - 1946-1948? Ford Tudor Sedan, thanks to Timmy Taylor. It is hard to tell what year this cars is, however, I believe that it is a Late 47 - 48 model. The Chrome Strip on the rear fender is smooth, and sits beneath the crease, which is how the Late 47 and 48 Fords were. If it is a Super Deluxe model, the absence of Chrome Trim around the side windows would indicate it to be a Late 47 - 48 model, as this trim was applied to 46 and Early 47 models. Looking at the front, it has the Rectangular Park Lights and Ridged Chrome Trim on the front fender sitting above the crease, all of which are applicable to the 46 and Early 47 models. The only real way to determine the Year is via the Vin Plate. Hope that this Infor helps.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote