Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
mikhett

Default T-85 od tranny and pertronix?any issues?

My 56 victoria has a 292 & BW T-85 OD 3spd tranny.I want to put in a pertronix ii but i read about some issues with the od and ign module having problems.CAN ANYBODY SHED ANY LIGHT?tHANKS
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: T-85 od tranny and pertronix?any issues?

I run a pertronix in my '55 Merc with the same tranny with no issues. The kickdown works as designed. What sort of issues are they supposed to have?
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
JeffB2

You might consider this conversion seems to be working well and a little less $$ also http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-61002m or this option: http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/2005...LSoaAobZ8P8HAQ In any event whatever you decide get a coil designed to match that particular unit.You might want to do some reading here:https://www.google.com/#q=Pertronix+complaints On my 1952-59 Group several members have had Pertronix failures within the last two years they have started doing business offshore Take that for what it's worth,prior to that time period there are many "happy campers'.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Talkwrench

I have no problems with Pertronix , I am now running ignitor 3 , use matching coil make sure you are getting the proper 12 volts and put it in a dissy that has been reconditioned, you should never have a problem.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
blucar

I have been running Pertronix ignition modules in many vehicles for over twenty years.. I have never had a problem with one failing..
The big secrete about them is that most people don't follow the directions that come with the unit.. Many Fords and other brands come with a ballast resistor which must be removed.. My ski boat has a '77 Ford 460 which has a marine ignition, both of my Birds, a 56 & 57 have had Pertronix units since the mid '80's....
For many years I had a '59 F100, 292 V8, OD trans that I put a Pertronix in. That was in about 1991, never had any problems with it during the ten years I had the truck..
I just put a Pertronix on a '65 Corvair Corsa 140 I recently bought.. The Ignitor II coil said it was made in Mexico.. Not very far off-shore...
I have found that the average parts counter person can not be trusted to get the correct unit.. After four days of trying to get a unit for the Corsa, finally called Pertronix Tech line for the correct module and application, then told the parts counterman what unit to order.. A common problem that I have experienced before.

Last edited by blucar; 08-19-2014 at 10:33 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
smtichy

Mikhett, I assume you are referring to issues regarding the potential to burn out the Pertronix when the OD kick down switch "shorts" the ignition. Supposedly there is a resistor you can install in the circuit to protect it. I don't have first hand experience with it but read it on a Studebaker site, as they were heavy users of Borg Warner's OD transmissions. I also am curious if any one here has experience with this.
Steve

'55 Sunliner - 292 V8, 3 speed man. w/ OD
ČKMAA - Český klub majitelů amerických automobilů
smtichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
40cpe

As mentioned before, call the Pertronix tech line. I had an excellent experience with them when I had a coil (not from Pertronix) slowly failing and burned up a unit. I ordered another unit and installed it before i knew the coil was going bad, burned it up promptly. That is when I got the tech involved. He replaced the burned up unit and I bought one of their blaster coils. It's running fine now many years later.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Tomjc

Blucar I am almost finished with my restoration and I put a Pentronix in with the Blaster coil, but I did not remove resistor. Should I remove it before I start driving car. Seems to run good in garage.
Tomjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
wellcraft17

I've got a 56 f100, 292 with o/d, pertronics and a resister, been running it for about 20yrs. With no issues at all
wellcraft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
mikhett

thats good to hear,Yes i was concerned with what SMITCHY descibed as when the o/d kicks in it cuts off the ignition momentarily.That might give the module trouble.
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote