Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
JDakota

Default front motor mount

In order to get the yoke high enough to put in new rubber washer, spring plate and the two top springs can I jack the front of the motor up enough without loosening the rear mounts? can you take the yoke loose and pull it up some for a little more clearance? I don't want to take off any more then necessary.
JDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: front motor mount

the last one i did unbolted the 2 bolts that hold the yolk to the block
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDakota View Post
In order to get the yoke high enough to put in new rubber washer, spring plate and the two top springs can I jack the front of the motor up enough without loosening the rear mounts?.
No I don't think so. You are raising the front over 2 inches by putting a jack on what, the oil pan? The oil pan will most likley be dented and you still will not be able to raise the engine enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDakota View Post
can you take the yoke loose and pull it up some for a little more clearance? I don't want to take off any more then necessary.
Yes and mentioned above remove the two bolts that go into the front of the engine.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Ron in Quincy

Suggest you Refer to the Service Bulletins, Page 294, 295, and 296; it covers the installation of the Flexible Front End Support, clearances, adjustment, and etc.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Tom Endy

My recommendation is that care be taken when jacking the front of the engine up without loosening the rear motor mount bolts. The rear mounts are attached to the clutch housing. when you raise the front end the engine can't bend and something has to give. What usually happens is that the two lower mounting bolts that attach the clutch housing to the engine block crack. Look at most any clutch housing at a swap meet carefully and you will see a hair line crack at one or both lower mounting bolts. I believe most have occurred by people changing out a timing gear.

One of the positive aspects of the float-A-motor mounts is that you can loosen the vertical mounting bolts and raise the front of the engine without stressing the clutch housing.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote