Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #21
amodel25

Default Re: fan on alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT AV8 View Post
Thanks, Walt. The radiator is in the stock location and we can run the hood. In fact, the rad is the original with new outlets at the top and an additional lower on the passenger side. Driver side lower aligns exactly with the truck type pump on the 8BA. We did have to trim the very bottom of the firewall a bit and had to rotate the fuel pump to clear. It is a pretty tight fit. This is an early pic when we were doing the fitment.

Attachment 68916
Nice installation. What is the distance from the centerline of the radiator mount hole to the centerline of the front motor mount hole? It will save me a little time on my A-V8 if you can give me this dimension. I am just now fitting the engine into the frame.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
jimTN

Simple solution, Antique Auto Elec, Norwalk OH, ph 419-668-5986 Larry Becker Sr. Larry will take your 38-9 (regulator type)gen front bracket and pulley and put a alt behind it. Everything including fan fits like original. Guaranteed for life. Fits like stock. I have one on my 32 and T conversions on all my Ts, all are 6v and work just fine.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
CT AV8

JDakota, sorry to hijack your thread even further.

amodel25,
Thank you. I just tried to take that measurement but cannot do it accurately due to rad bracket, bolt spring, castle nut, cottter pin and headlight wiring running through there. Also mount mounts are spread wider than rad bolts so it adds to the inaccuracy. I did measure from front face of crossmember to centerline of motor mount, approximately 7 5/8". But due to corrosion and eased edges of x-member, not a good way to do it either.
I do not personally think this is a good approach, due to so many variables. We set our mounts working from back to front since we retained the stock Model A rear end and torque tube.
Basically, we set Vern's k-member in loose and bolted the transmission to the tt coupling to set location. We used a '32 style rear engine/trans mount with the 4 holes. Squared it up and clamped it, put in the side legs, drilled some holes and bolted it in.
We then swung in the engine (no heads, flywheel, or clutch) with the front motor mounts bolted in place, bolted it to the trans and scribed the location of front mounts on the frame. Pulled it all out and welded them in place. We had to trim the bottom center of firewall a bit, so we were in and out with the engine many times.
I strongly advise this approach. 28-29 firewalls differ from 30-31. Also we used an 8BA, some differences from earlier engines. My dimension might get you close, but might also get you in trouble.
Please feel free to PM me to discuss further. Again, sorry JDakota.
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
amodel25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT AV8 View Post
JDakota, sorry to hijack your thread even further.

amodel25,
Thank you. I just tried to take that measurement but cannot do it accurately due to rad bracket, bolt spring, castle nut, cottter pin and headlight wiring running through there. Also mount mounts are spread wider than rad bolts so it adds to the inaccuracy. I did measure from front face of crossmember to centerline of motor mount, approximately 7 5/8". But due to corrosion and eased edges of x-member, not a good way to do it either.
I do not personally think this is a good approach, due to so many variables. We set our mounts working from back to front since we retained the stock Model A rear end and torque tube.
Basically, we set Vern's k-member in loose and bolted the transmission to the tt coupling to set location. We used a '32 style rear engine/trans mount with the 4 holes. Squared it up and clamped it, put in the side legs, drilled some holes and bolted it in.
We then swung in the engine (no heads, flywheel, or clutch) with the front motor mounts bolted in place, bolted it to the trans and scribed the location of front mounts on the frame. Pulled it all out and welded them in place. We had to trim the bottom center of firewall a bit, so we were in and out with the engine many times.
I strongly advise this approach. 28-29 firewalls differ from 30-31. Also we used an 8BA, some differences from earlier engines. My dimension might get you close, but might also get you in trouble.
Please feel free to PM me to discuss further. Again, sorry JDakota.
Thanks CT AV8 Sorry JDakota. I didn't think about hijacking your thread until I had already done it.I guess I asked questions first....thought later.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote