Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Clem Clement

Default Joe PA

I started this day with a prayers and a heavy heart at the loss of Coach Joe PA. He is a true American hero that made a difference to so many folks on and off the football field.

Our youngest went to a summer training camp under Joe Pa. At the end of the camp when we came to pick him up, Joe laid his hand on Sandy's shoulder and said you have a fine son there. (She did not wash that area for a week!) He shook my hand as well. We were very honored to have met him. He offered our son a full scholarship if he would come play for Joe Pa.(Son chose to go to Harvey Mudd for an excellent engineering degree.)

As today worn on I begain to feel new energy long dormant in me. If Joe PA can do it, so can I. I know his record will stand for all time. I'm energized to carry on with my car work. Minor health nits have been bothering me but I'm going to press on thanks to the spirit of Joe Pa.

God bless you Joe Pa.
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Joe PA

Clem:

I'm glad to read that you and your family had a great experience with Joe Pa. and the Penn State football program.

I also don't want to talk poorly about those who have passed on, but I think there a quote that is very fitting for Joe Pa's legacy.

It takes years to build one's legacy and only a second to destroy it.

Current history will not nor should not look to kindly on Joe Pa and his hypocrisy. For a man who preached that his program was a step above the others because they did the "right thing", failed to do the right thing and protect those young boys instead of protecting his "valued" coach or his program.

While I do believe prayers and well wishes should go to Joe Pa's family, please do not forget about the lives of those young boys and their family that were destroyed by the Penn State football machine and their win at all cost mindset that prevailed in the coach's office, the President's office, and all throughout the town of State College.

I hope Joe Pa at least came to grips with his mistake and admitted his wrong doing before his time was up.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-22-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
fordstandard

40 plus years of greatness comes down to one horrible incident. All that Coach Paterno had to do was call the police and tell them what he had heard. I'm sorry but he messed up at crucial moment. That's his true legacy.

Ford Standard
fordstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Mike51Merc

I don't excuse Joe for his inaction, but I think he should have retired for health reasons immediately when the scandal became known, instead of his legacy being that he was fired because of the scandal.

The facts would still be the same, but the memory would be different, if that makes any sense.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Jack 34pu

I have lived in the State College area since 1960 and have known the Paterno family since Joe was about 33 years old. Everyone is so quick to take what the media has put before us and draw conclusions. I will reserve judgement until all the trials, criminal and civil are completed to sort out all the facts. Joe has had his flaws but from personal experience, I do not believe he would put football before the protection of small children. Believe me, there is more blame to pass around and it will come out in the future. I sure hope my life is judged by more than the most recent accusation by someone who has not seen or known me for any length of time. I also know something about child abuse and certainly don't condone looking the other way. If nothing else, this terrible situation will make us all more sensitive to the plight of the little ones and listen to them when they struggle to tell us something is wrong.
Sometimes I feel selfish working on my projects because I can separate myself from what is going on around me. Just my opinion and still searching for answers.
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
34pickup

A true legend in his own time. No one is even close to becoming what he has in college football.I had heard nothing but good about him until this incident so I weigh the facts. He made have had a mistake in judgement, we all do in life.I hope his legacy outweighs this one incident.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
55 dude

For as great a person everyone claims he was myself as a father and grandfather anyone who failed to take action in the situation is as guilty as the accused.He knew and now his legacy will always tarnished as it should be. Time for me to sign off because my B.P. is rising, DIRTBAG!
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 34pu View Post
I have lived in the State College area since 1960 and have known the Paterno family since Joe was about 33 years old. Everyone is so quick to take what the media has put before us and draw conclusions. I will reserve judgement until all the trials, criminal and civil are completed to sort out all the facts. Joe has had his flaws but from personal experience, I do not believe he would put football before the protection of small children. Believe me, there is more blame to pass around and it will come out in the future. I sure hope my life is judged by more than the most recent accusation by someone who has not seen or known me for any length of time. I also know something about child abuse and certainly don't condone looking the other way. If nothing else, this terrible situation will make us all more sensitive to the plight of the little ones and listen to them when they struggle to tell us something is wrong.
Sometimes I feel selfish working on my projects because I can separate myself from what is going on around me. Just my opinion and still searching for answers.

Remember: The first incident was reported to have happened years prior to the news breaking about the allegations.

The facts are Joe Pa knew about it and needed to do more when his superiors did not. He may not have had a legal obligation, but he sure as hell had a moral obligation to do something to protect those children.

Remember: All of the victims where children when the allegations (I'm using the term allegations in a purely legal way, but we all know they rank up there among the worst crimes one can commit) took place.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-23-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
Vic Piano

As I see it, he knew what was going, on for year’s right under his nose, and chose to look the other way. In my opinion, he was a willing participant in the cover up, allowing Sandusky to continue his despicable behavior, and putting countless children at risk. He should be vilified, not idolized.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Bruce in southern OH

What has happened at Penn State through out the last 40 years has lead to help the down fall of morals all around the country, people start thinking and acting like wrong is right and accept it, all involved should be ashamed, this is their legacy, very sad for all victims.
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

What is even more baffling is the FACT that Sandusky was in the Penn State President's Sky Box for Joe Pa's 409th career win. This came after the news had already broke.

Now if that's not a sick mindset and one of complete denial, I don't know what is.

Penn State football was and is a multi-million dollar business. I refuse to get sucked in the hype of that Holy Than Thou non-sense. Joe Pa did what he felt he needed to do to protect his business and to keep winning.

Plus, he was given WAY too much control over that program. He made decisions that no other coach in a Div I NCAA program would be allowed to make. He was more of a Cult of Personality than an actual coach. The brass at Penn State knew this and cashed in on Joe's popularity as well.

I'm not just speaking from what I've read, it is what I've witnessed. My wife was at Penn State for six years while earning her PhD. I was always amazed how the entire town and surrounding area worshiped the man.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
35 coupe

I was born and still reside in northeast pa my 55 years, and 2 things people don't realize are under PA. law Joe Pa did his part, reporting it to a superior, and second he did not see any of this himself, he reported what was told to him. I feel if he did not do enough then they need to fire our govenor, Tom corbett, He was in charge of investigating this years ago, but he was too busy campaining for a higher office. Joe Paterno was a good man, Coach, Leader, and mentor to a lot of people.
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
55 dude

Part of the reason for my being pissed is i hear stories from my sister that works at the commitment center on Mc Neal Island here in washington that houses the people that are such lowlifes that their civil rights have been stripped! State can't risk letting them loose and house them at the taxpayers expense. They need to send the desert in Arizona and let old mariposa joe deal with them. Hey maybe thats where they can send Sandusky right after they BAND him! If ya live on the farm ya know what that is, OUCH!
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 coupe View Post
I was born and still reside in northeast pa my 55 years, and 2 things people don't realize are under PA. law Joe Pa did his part, reporting it to a superior, and second he did not see any of this himself, he reported what was told to him. I feel if he did not do enough then they need to fire our govenor, Tom corbett, He was in charge of investigating this years ago, but he was too busy campaining for a higher office. Joe Paterno was a good man, Coach, Leader, and mentor to a lot of people.
If he was such a "good man", where were his moral values? Morals should compel you to go above and beyond what the state recognizes as law. He may not have witnessed any of the alleged acts but he was aware of what was going on and choose to turn a blind eye thus allowing Sandusky to continue to molest boys in and around Penn State facilities. His actions were despicable and he and all the others that were aware of what was going on, alleged or actual, should be held accountable
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
If he was such a "good man", where were his moral values? Morals should compel you to go above and beyond what the state recognizes as law. He may not have witnessed any of the alleged acts but he was aware of what was going on and choose to turn a blind eye thus allowing Sandusky to continue to molest boys in and around Penn State facilities. His actions were despicable and he and all the others that were aware of what was going on, alleged or actual, should be held accountable

Well said and couldn't agree more.

His "aw sucks, I'm a good man" persona was lost when he realized his "bosses" failed to take proper action and he didn't do more to help those kids.

Folks, let's be clear on what is being alleged. Children were assaulted by a trusted coach/adult under Joe Pa's watch.

He was informed about it, did tell his bosses, but also choose to not go any further in making sure this horrible crime was stopped and properly reported even if his bosses weren't doing it.

Joe Pa only wanted total control over the Penn State program during the good times.

A true leader would have also taken control during the bad and done the right thing.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-23-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
19Fordy

Referring to JoePa as a hero is just another example today's common misuse of the word.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4802049.shtml
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote