Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Dune Country

Default bad day for the A

Just venting here,
body work all done and cab and bed in primer. Had the cab on low saw horses tipped forward on some blocks and a milk crate so I could paint the bottom, which I did, looked like a good time to take the doors off, pushed on the screwdriver and the milk crate collapsed and the whole thing rolled forward onto the top,bent the sun visor in two places where it hit the saw horses and the back of the cab hit my grinder stand and dented it. Had to weld a 3/16 strap up under the visor to keep it straight and redid bodywork and primer on the back.
THEN
started to wet sand the orange peel on the already painted fenders,first time painting urethane, have always used acrylic enamel, anyway ,I did put (what I thought) 3 good coats on the fenders,waited 72 hours and started with 1000 and then 2000, sanded right through in a couple of spots.
turned off the lights and closed the door,sat down and had a beer.
plan to finish sanding and recoat with a wet coat.
ever had "one of those days?"
thanks for letting me vent
Greg
Dune Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
tudoor

Default Re: bad day for the A

Usually by the third beer its all over for me. Try it!
tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune Country View Post
Just venting here...ever had "one of those days?"...
Just had one, exactly a week ago! After being down since late fall, I got my PU all ready to go in a parade last Saturday, only to have it develop a sizeable knock in the engine. -- back to the drawing board!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Yep, that's when it's time to lie down for a bit and relax. I'll bet we've all had those kind of days. My last one was a beautifully restored and painted oil pan. I hung it with heavy copper wire, which was too soft. After the wire slowly bent it dropped the pan 5 feet to the concrete and put a dent back in it as well as mess up the paint. Last summer I took my beautifully restored 1918 Evinrude to the lake for the first run since I restored it in 1977. As I was pulling the trailer and boat up the launch the rope broke and the boat shot off the back of the trailer and since the skeg hit first, it got bent and knocked the motor clean off the transom and onto the concrete, which smashed the tank. Now I get to restore it again. No rest for the wicked.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Ross/Kzoo

When your days go like that it's best to close the doors, walk away and revisit it later.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yep, that's when it's time to lie down for a bit and relax. I'll bet we've all had those kind of days. My last one was a beautifully restored and painted oil pan. I hung it with heavy copper wire, which was too soft. After the wire slowly bent it dropped the pan 5 feet to the concrete and put a dent back in it as well as mess up the paint. Last summer I took my beautifully restored 1918 Evinrude to the lake for the first run since I restored it in 1977. As I was pulling the trailer and boat up the launch the rope broke and the boat shot off the back of the trailer and since the skeg hit first, it got bent and knocked the motor clean off the transom and onto the concrete, which smashed the tank. Now I get to restore it again. No rest for the wicked.
I hang out at the public boat ramp now and then just for some good laughs.
This was a good one, the trailer was still on the back of the car. He got out in reverse..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.7 KB, 424 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Willit Stop

Dune... Sorry to hear about the gravity storm.Bummer.I've painted some urethanes over the years and have found that if you want to have the last coat look nice,the first coat should look nice.Not a "hose coat"but nice and smooth.No orange peel or, as little as possible.Sounds like you're not getting it wet enough.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
dave in australia

Greg, you did the best thing. You didn't get upset and kick something, you put the tools down and walked away and had a beer. Starting the repairs afresh with a clear mind is a lot better than trying to do repairs while thinking about what happened, generally, if your mind is not fully on the job, another accident can follow. I've had many days where something doesn't go right, not just in car restoration, but at work, making plastic models, well just in life in general. It's all about how you handle the minor setback.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Ron/IA

Dune Country - Sorry for you mishap. I have been there and done that. I and several friends purchased an old lumberyard, and use the building for working on "stuff" and storage. One time my brother in law had a load of lumber on a wagon running gear. I tried to squeeze the A past it and not noticing a nail sticking out of some wood; scratched the paint on the Model A.

Said a few chjoice words, fired up the A, and went to the local micro-brewery. Things were all better after that. In fact, that scratch is still there, and this happened three years ago.

Ron/IA

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Dune
at least nobody was hurt have a better day tomorrow carry on
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
mmindling

Today, figured I would get my tail light / stop lamp both working after finding out what went wrong.

The good news is that after ringing out each and every wire and the switch, found that the connector at the tail light pigtail had gone bad and repaired it. Several hours for a tiny little connector.

The bad news is that I dropped a pliers on the shiny black left rear fender and left a nice gouge, through to the metal.

Made a few socially unkind remarks and left the shop. Had an Izze and felt better. I think the A was insulted.

Now, every time I look at the A, my eyes will go right to that gouge.

Regards,

Martin Mindling Watertown, Ohio
mmindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Dune Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
Dune... Sorry to hear about the gravity storm.Bummer.I've painted some urethanes over the years and have found that if you want to have the last coat look nice,the first coat should look nice.Not a "hose coat"but nice and smooth.No orange peel or, as little as possible.Sounds like you're not getting it wet enough.
being used to spraying enamels where your 1st coat is a fog coat is probably where I messed up.
Dune Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Bick in New Zealand

Years ago I had just put on the final clear coat after woodgraining my dash panel. While I was cleaning the gun, my young son wandered into the workshop picked it up with both hands and said " That looks good Dad!"....... that was just the start of it.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand View Post
Years ago I had just put on the final clear coat after woodgraining my dash panel. While I was cleaning the gun, my young son wandered into the workshop picked it up with both hands and said " That looks good Dad!"....... that was just the start of it.
Isn't that "precious" Bick, AHH! memories!
When I finally get around to doin' some woodgraining, I'll be sure that Gregg, my 50 year old son, IS at work!! Bill W.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Banky

I'm a pinstriper. Some days I can't lay a single good line. I now know to stop right away and try later. Not ideal when its someone else's car, but it is what it is.
Banky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
MikeK

MODERN THINKING: Sue the milk company because their crate, which was never intended to support a car body, collapsed under a 1000 lb. lateral load.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
MODERN THINKING: Sue the milk company because their crate, which was never intended to support a car body, collapsed under a 1000 lb. lateral load.
LOL, and there will be a lot of lawyers ready to jump on the case!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
LOL, and there will be a lot of lawyers ready to jump on the case!
That's "FUNNY"! Tom, how about the 2 gay attorneys who tried each other? Bill W.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
hardtimes

Hey Greg,
WOW...brot a tear to my eye..for ya! Well, 'silver lining'....at least you didn't BUMP your head...did you It's only time and money,eh
My wife says...if you keep dinging up your head on that old....thing, I'm going to insist that you wear the helmet again
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
That's "FUNNY"! Tom, how about the 2 gay attorneys who tried each other? Bill W.
Good one Bill... Glad to see you in your good mood as always.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote