Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
jfcrash

Default !935 Phaeton Temporary Dead Short +

1935 Electrical System temporary shorting –

Back ground-
Car is a three year old restoration with a new wiring harness including resistor, fuse block, ignition switch, rebuilt 3 brush generator and distributor, 6 Volt Pos ground (with a shut-off switch wired in). The generators third brush setting has been approx –4 at idle and approx + 5 amps when driving… don’t drive at night and have not had an issue till now. Have a 6V Optima battery and use a battery tender from time to time.

Day One-
Anticipating some night driving I decided to get familiar with sliding the 3rd brush on the generator and checking the results, I was driving without the generator strap in place covering the brushes. After driving and stopping several of times to adjust the 3rd brush and take notes, it seemed to me the generators body was very hot… just an observation as I have never done this before.

Day Two-
While waiting for the car to warm up in the garage, I was checking the head lights…. turned the light switch on the steering wheel one click to the right to check the parking lights, then one click to the left for low beams…then when I went one more click to the left…immediately the engine dyed and lost power to all lights and no activity on the ammeter, not even reflecting a discharge.

I could not activate the starter; the only thing with power was the horn. The fuse on the fire wall was ok, the shielded resistor on the firewall did not seem to hot and I still had 6.22V across the battery, just for a moment I noticed a slight movement of the ammeter going negative then slightly positive and then to zero where it stayed. After about 30 minutes the car starts right up, which has been consistent each time I have tried this scenario… have tried this 4 or 5 times with the same results.

I assume I am creating a short when turning the light switch... a problem I will have to find…. but what is acting as a circuit breaker till it cools off, why not blow the fuse or see a current draw on the ammeter?

Would appreciate your thoughts / experiences / guidance

Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote