Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
CaceyB

Question 1929 Headlight Parts

I would like some information on the parts I would need to look for to build some '29 headlights. I figure I might be more likely to find original parts than whole original light assemblies.

So, I know what the outer part looks like but I need to know some of the finer details. Such as, what does the reflector look like? (I know it has two socket holes) and the lenses, and the ring at the end? I'm sure you get the picture.

If anyone could offer up some information, especially pictures, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cacey
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 1929 Headlight Parts

Do you have a Bratton's parts catalog? If so, on page 80 there is a nice diagram of a 3 wire headlight (like used on a 29 model A). I have found that the parts made by A&L Parts Specialties (which are sold by most suppliers) are very nice, fit very well and are very reasonably priced. Most original items, with the exception of the headlight internal wiring harness, are rusted or worn out and probably would need to be replaced. Just my thoughts.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Mark W.

If you look around there are plenty of these lights available - here is a pair (I have no personal connection to this ad):

http://www.sdhotrod.com/1928-1929-fo...r19281929.html

And you can find them regularly on e-bay - as for building a set - most every catalog has pretty good diagrams to go by - but check quality before you go BUY.
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. View Post
If you look around there are plenty of these lights available - here is a pair (I have no personal connection to this ad):

http://www.sdhotrod.com/1928-1929-fo...r19281929.html
Hard to tell if these are Ford. The seller says the lenses aren't, and the doors don't look quite right to me. I'd want to see some more photos before I put money out for these.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaceyB View Post
I would like some information on the parts I would need to look for to build some '29 headlights. I figure I might be more likely to find original parts than whole original light assemblies.

So, I know what the outer part looks like but I need to know some of the finer details. Such as, what does the reflector look like? (I know it has two socket holes) and the lenses, and the ring at the end? I'm sure you get the picture.

If anyone could offer up some information, especially pictures, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cacey
Call Bert's in Denver...they will set you up right.

Yes, the reflector has two socket holes...ONLY IF THE CAR DOES NOT HAVE COWL LIGHTS! If the car has cowl lights then the reflectors only have one hole.

(I think I am right on this...please correct me if I am wrong.)

Pluck

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
CaceyB

I know about Bert's, I've been there and I wish I lived closer.

I was asking because there's a big auto swap meet coming up here and I wanted to know what to look for. Also, a member of my local chapter said he has some parts, but thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Mike Peters

Cacey: I watched your utube video. I suggest you get your car running on all four cylinders. It will have a lot more power. You currently are running on 3, or maybe only two. Stuck valves? Bad spark plugs, and/or distributer cap body? Do a compression test.
Until you get a muffler on that car, leave the roof open so you don't perish from exhaust fumes. Just friendly advise. I'm thrilled to see a young person take an interest in Model A's. kudos to you!!!!!!!!
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
29ModelA

I found it pretty easy to find a set, they needed a little work, but were complete. I just put a want ad up here. Ebay had a few sets, but they needed more work.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Gary Karr

If you are looking for the '29 Two light headlights, the inside steel bracket is different than the earlier single bulb headlight, which is different than the '30/31 headlight bracket, so be careful. The earlier single bulb bracket has a smaller hole than the later style but the '29 headlight has a completely different form than the '30/31 headlight, so it uses a different inside bracket. The mounting bolt should be the same (I think.)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Brentwood Bob

Thought the palm trees looked familiar. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Cacey: I watched your utube video. I suggest you get your car running on all four cylinders. It will have a lot more power. You currently are running on 3, or maybe only two. Stuck valves? Bad spark plugs, and/or distributer cap body? Do a compression test.
Until you get a muffler on that car, leave the roof open so you don't perish from exhaust fumes. Just friendly advise. I'm thrilled to see a young person take an interest in Model A's. kudos to you!!!!!!!!
I agree. Check your timing too, and make sure your spark lever is down to the 9:00 position while driving.

If I had a couple headlights, I'd just send 'em to you. Good luck with your project. You're in for a good time!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote