Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #101
jeep44

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Jeep, congrats on your Huckster. They are a fun rig to have.

Just a comment about a Huckster. If it is made out of Oak, be sure you make sure the wood it treated well. Oak tends to "age" with moisture showing black spots that tend to grow and gives you a well aged look. A friend of mine has a Huskster just like mine and he kept it in a shed that let in the moisture. It ended up with these black spots and he has had a real problem trying to refinish it.

Anyway good luck with your purchase and have fun with it. Would like to see pictures also.
Ha ha! Too late! I really have no idea when this was built, but the oak is pretty aged looking right now-lots of black spots. ( I got this from someone who got it from someone else) Whoever built it got about 75% done with it. The basic box and roof is done,along with the seat. One door frame has been roughed out, and there's no tailgate yet. It looks like he spent a fair amount of time on the chassis, as it is fairly clean and unrusted, but all the little brake bits, and the shocks are missing. The engine turns over, and I was pleased to find it full of clean oil . As far as the basic design of it, my huckster looks a lot like the one you have.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #102
Fred K-OR

Looks like you may have a "well aged" Huckster. But won't affect the way you can enjoy it.

I found I had to put shocks on the Huckster because of the weight of the body. It drove much better after-could go around a curve at more that 10 or 15 MPH!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #103
PetesPonies

Found another picture of a woodie pickup, Huckster pickup whatever

Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #104
eswanson

I just got my Huckster out of the garage and around to the movie rental shop & the gas station last night. This is the first time she has been out so I'm kinda excited.

Eric Swanson
1931 Model A Pickup
eswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #105
PetesPonies

Looks great Eric!! Did you just build her?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #106
TimM

Just had our first really good breath of Fall air pass through the Carolinas, so I took the Huckster for nice long ride to the club meeting. What a great day! However, I am going to look at moving the seat around this winter. Not nearly enough leg room for my 6'4" frame! Thinking about try a seat spring cushion from a Roadster and moving the seat back to the rear about 5-6" to allow for some tilt to the backrest. Just beginning on this project...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept 2012 meeting small.JPG (63.3 KB, 77 views)
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #107
mccsix

Here's a couple of pics of my Huck, built in the late 80s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.JPG (12.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 12.JPG (15.0 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (23.5 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Model A arriving 011 (Large).jpg (71.4 KB, 151 views)

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #108
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
Just had our first really good breath of Fall air pass through the Carolinas, so I took the Huckster for nice long ride to the club meeting. What a great day! However, I am going to look at moving the seat around this winter. Not nearly enough leg room for my 6'4" frame! Thinking about try a seat spring cushion from a Roadster and moving the seat back to the rear about 5-6" to allow for some tilt to the backrest. Just beginning on this project...
Tim M I know what you mean. I am 6'2" and have a similar problem. My seat is made of styrofoam rubber and the back is about 3 or 4" thick. I have been thinking about maybe putting in two bucket seats which may give me more room.

Have fun with youch Huck.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #109
TimM

Fred

My biggest issue is that cushion is just a sheet of plywood with 2-3 inches of foam. When you drive any distance at all, its like I'm sitting on the wood very quickly. Any spring motion would make to whole experience so much better. Even a little tilt of the back rest would be better, this sitting up real straight is like being back in grade school! Just trying to figure out how much at add to the side uprights that won't hurt the looks of the truck.

Got to keep these Hucksters doing business...ya know.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #110
Fred K-OR

TimM,

Yes I know what you mean about hard seats. Ours is the same way-about 1 hour in the seat is about all a person can take at one time. Last June some of our club drove their Model A's from Portland to Boise about an 7 or 8 hour drive on freeways @ 70 MPH. So that was a long trip in an A. We did take two days. We trailered our huckster over to Boise and drove tours over there for about 150 miles. Much better way to enjoy a huckster
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #111
David p Ingraham

Send a message via Yahoo to David p Ingraham

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjh4ygizg3...2011.30.14.mp4
Hears my old lady,its old h
but she still gets hot.
David p Ingraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #112
tombia

Just finished a body, looks like a model 150 28/29 wagon except it's a 2 door. Maple and birch plywood. Wish I could post pic's on here
tombia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #113
Brian29

Hey Huckster guys, just posted pic's of mine. Can't get one in my profile pic, don't know why. Look up my profile and go to album. Hope you like it, Brian
Brian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #114
Brian29

A great and easy wax is shine keeper from armstrong for wood. Does a nice job on running board rubber too. It's for vinyl floors. Lowes has it. Comes in gallon jug. Take a brush and brush into panel edge on door too. You don't want water down in that joint. Also, make sure the inside of the doors are sealed and the bottoms drilled for drainage. I've bee a woodworker for thirty years and did lots of boat work, trust me. Red oak and water don't get along. Another tip, where the outer door panel meets outer door frame. Remove inner door panel and caulk that joint with silicone or latex clear caulk, on the inside back edge. If that groove is not sealed or the edge of the plywood is not presealed you will get black stains. Also ply can delaminate. Putting a good coat of that wax down in the groove helps alot. Keeps wood from squeeking too. Hope this helps someone. Great to drive though, aren't they?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #115
Fred K-OR

Brian29, nice looking huckster. Almost like mine except mine is Acrylic blue.

Did you pick it up in Holland MI.? We drove back there and picked up my body a couple of years ago. Looks like Jon is still making them. They are nice rigs.

Fred Kroon
Banks, OR
Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #116
Brian29

Glad you liked the truck. No I did not pick up the body. The truck came out of georgia. They took the truck to Jon and had it put on. Truck has had a few issues, but I'm working them out. The latest was a bad tranny leak out the rear end of trans. This is a new restoration mind you. After removing the trans found it did not have sealed bearings and the rear baffle was in backwards. Being it was crushed, leaked like a sivv. I've learned alot, tell you that much!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #117
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian29 View Post
Glad you liked the truck. No I did not pick up the body. The truck came out of georgia. They took the truck to Jon and had it put on. Truck has had a few issues, but I'm working them out. The latest was a bad tranny leak out the rear end of trans. This is a new restoration mind you. After removing the trans found it did not have sealed bearings and the rear baffle was in backwards. Being it was crushed, leaked like a sivv. I've learned alot, tell you that much!
Did you reshape the slinger and reinstall it?
It needs to be in place because it's also a spacer.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #118
Brian29

I put in a new one and replaced the bearings. Popped seal out of the inside. Should be a beautiful thing. Thanks for asking, Brian
Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #119
TimM

Hey, I was wondering if someone in the Huckster group, or any other for that matter, has any pictures showing how the side curtains are mounted on the sides of the huckster? Mine never has had any and I cannot find any pictures that show how the curtain is held at the top. Are there snaps or a bar across the opening at the top? I can see the ties that are used to keep them up, but nothing showing a close up of the whole top of the opening. Thinking about trying to make my own and need any information that I can get my grubby little hands on. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #120
Joe K

Here's a huckster on the Cow Hampshire Craigslist. Lists out of Keene, NH and calls it a "woodie." It seems to have a 4 door cowl.

Very obviously a "car of parts" but heck, it's still a Model A. The owner probably dials in here once in a while. Looking at his shop he MUST be one of us.

Joe K