Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Vintique

Vintique
(noun)
/ Vin-teek/

an item requiring drilling,shaping, filing, sanding,bending or general chicanery to fit.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Vintique

better then making it from scratch?

lol
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
lotsagas4u

You meant Junktique
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
Jack Shaft
BANNED

In actuality it our fault,the normal model a enthusiast won't pay the price for quality.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
CA Victoria

How long has vintique been around?
Old 07-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Victoria View Post
How long has vintique been around?
Too long!
I'm sure the only reason they sell anything is because too many Model Aers are cheapskates. For those who are prepared to pay, there is often no alternative.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
McMimmcs

I totally agree! Many Model A people want the highest quality for the lowest price. Most are not willing to pay for quality. I for one can not feel sorry for them when they buy an inferior part because they chose the cheapest available. Money not spent is not always money saved. Then they come on here and roast the vendor when they should look in the mirror and yell at the cheapskate!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:20 PM   #8
daveymc29

So where is the alternative vender since Labaron Bonney gave us a pass? I don't see any-one advertising to fill their spot but not only that, I drove to San Leandro and south Hayward looking for a brick and mortar upholstery shop. Found none where I used to have seven or so choices twenty years ago. Now it is Nails and hair twisting, along with your favorite food, curb pick up only. Don't dare go by at night.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:36 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
So where is the alternative vender since Labaron Bonney gave us a pass? I don't see any-one advertising to fill their spot but not only that, I drove to San Leandro and south Hayward looking for a brick and mortar upholstery shop. Found none where I used to have seven or so choices twenty years ago. Now it is Nails and hair twisting, along with your favorite food, curb pick up only. Don't dare go by at night.
That sorry state of affairs is duplicated here. Seems to me that in a never ending push for higher profits, vendors (of all things) go to the cheapest supplier with no regard for the quality or the longer term consequences of loosing our own ability to do stuff for ourselves. That has only made the country that now supplies us with necessities more powerful and they are now flexing their muscle. They are a very real threat to security world wide - including here and in the US.
It will all come back and bight us on the @$$.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:

Classtique sells kits, and provides installation advice/help on their kits, interior and top kits. Due to demand last I heard they had a hefty backlog of orders since Labarron Bonney closed.

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/

Perhaps others can give recommendations on local upholstery shops. In my neck of the woods the local clubs are the best source of info. Seems a lot of the small upholstery, and Model A repair shops, do not advertise and sometimes do not even come up when searching on Google.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #11
Kevin in NJ

I got the vintique kit for the door rubbers and such for my 68C. That was a few years ago not sure what is available today.

Nothing was even close to correct.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

I have posted these pictures before of cowl light arms made by Vintique. I don't believe this is a case of not willing "to pay the price" as they are over $100. This is just crappy manufacturing.

Can't even drill a hole straight?

Holes not even close to threaded holes in mounting plate.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
Jack Shaft
BANNED

San Leandro and Hayward used to be a hotspot for anything cars,motorcycles too...long gone.Couple of shops here in Sacramento,Highlands Upholstery has a good reputation.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #14
Bob Bidonde

I suggest you all should contact Vintique and discuss your issues:

Our Hours
M-F: 9:00am - 5:30pm
Sat - Sun: Closed
All times are Pacific time

Toll-Free 800-532-1932
Local & Cell: 408-378-1935
Fax: 408-866-1934
International Orders: 408-378-1935
Email: [email protected]
Old 07-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #15
McMimmcs

The solution is easy! Specify on your order that you will not accept anything with the Vintique name attached to it. Why buy and complain ?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #16
SteveB31

Or restore your original part, or buy an original part rather then a new part...
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #17
Synchro909

McMimms and SteveB31 speak sense.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #18
daveymc29

Found an old timer in Manteca, plus another there and one in Modesto. On a good day its an hour to one and a half away and I have seen the good old boys work. Took six months but he did a coupe hot rod in leather, complete for a reasonable price. Worked on it pretty regularly so the owner dropped another $800.00 on him when done. Every stitch is show quality, so I'm now awaiting a return call to take my parts to his shop. With two alternatives in the same general area, I think this is now a done deal. (If he remembers to call me.)
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:29 PM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
Or restore your original part, or buy an original part rather then a new part...
That's exactly what I did, returned the junk Vintique Cowl Light Arms (https://modelastore.com/index.php?ro...roduct_id=4343) and bought some good used ones from Bert's and had them rechromed.

But when the vendor advertises "Cowl Light Arms- Chrome plated and very nice quality" I expected better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
I suggest you all should contact Vintique and discuss your issues:
And yes I did contact them but I don't see them changing their production on my account. From what I am told by Bert's, Vintique is the only game in town for certain parts.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-26-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:52 PM   #20
Ruth

Quote:
So where is the alternative vender since Labaron Bonney gave us a pass? I don't see any-one advertising to fill their spot but not only that, I drove to San Leandro and south Hayward looking for a brick and mortar upholstery shop. Found none where I used to have seven or so choices twenty years ago.
Quote:
Found an old timer in Manteca, plus another there and one in Modesto. On a good day its an hour to one and a half away and I have seen the good old boys work. Took six months but he did a coupe hot rod in leather, complete for a reasonable price. Worked on it pretty regularly so the owner dropped another $800.00 on him when done. Every stitch is show quality, so I'm now awaiting a return call to take my parts to his shop. With two alternatives in the same general area, I think this is now a done deal. (If he remembers to call me.)
How did we go from Vinitque to upholstery?