Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2017, 01:29 AM   #21
30 Tudor

Default Re: Ideas to protect a new cement floor

I acid stained my floor, looks um... different than paint,,more like stone.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=266370
30 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 AM   #22
ken will

My garage is like my wife.
The more scars, wrinkles, and age spots; the more I love her!
ken will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #23
denis4x4

Went to the 1915barn.com site. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your new barn/shop will be repurposed somewhere down the line. My barn/shop has 6' x 4' x 3/4" stall mats through out. If you drop something, it bounces and it's easy on the feet and legs. When the time comes to make the conversion, pull them up and sell them. Tractor Supply and Big R usually have them on sale once a month.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #24
Jeff P. / MN

I had both my shop and home garage professionally epoxy coated ten years ago. It was done by a company that does OR's in hospitals and clean rooms etc. for businesses. Cost was $3.00 per square foot and worth every penny as both floors look like new to this day.
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #25
Mike the Grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Tudor View Post
I acid stained my floor, looks um... different than paint,,more like stone.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=266370

Love that look. A friend did that some years ago. Unfortunately he passed not too long after.

That post is a couple years old now. How has the floor held up? How's the maintenance?

The epoxy/paint coatings look good also but I would be worried that they would peal have to be redone.
Mike the Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #26
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Dean,

1. Go on line to find the headquarters of a reliable paint company such as Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc.,and call their 1-800 number to ask for their Technical Department.

2. Do not always rely on Home Depot, Lowe's, etc., salespersons, or local paint company salespersons because they usually were possibly never well trained by their paint manufacturer on anything other than common interior and exterior house paint.

3. Tell the technician "exactly" all of "your" requirements. Read the detailed paint manufacturers' on line Manufacturers' Data Sheets in addition to speaking to a trained technician to study recommended preparation & application methods.

4. Every major paint company has several well trained technicians to provide advice for using their products, and to assist architects and engineers in writing detailed written specifications for multi-million dollar commercial and industrial projects.

5. Paint products change drastically sometimes often from year to year as new technology for coatings are developed.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #27
cpf240

This is a very timely thread, as we are working on building our shop now. I'm learning a lot in this thread, thanks!
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #28
dean from bozeman

Denis, the 1915 Barn is a stand alone building that is a 5 bedroom, 5 1/2 bath rental for events and vacations. The shop that I am building is a different building.

I will do either acid stain or epoxy and then some type of mat under the vehicles. I like stall mats where I am going to do a lot of standing (read: working on my feet).
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #29
Glenn C.

Hello Dean, I have built two shops of my own in the last 18 yrs and several large buildings with cement floors prior to that. Each time we have spread on cement armor plate surface protector and used a cement color, such as rust red; green; or grey troweled in during the final stages of floor cement work. What I like about this, is the fact that it is impervious to oil stain and can be waxed using the same color of wax every couple of years. Way to late for you now, but maybe someone else may use it. Yes very slippery with snow under foot, but that's why they make mats for the doorways. Expensive yes....but I have never seen a Brinks Armored truck following a hearse yet. I am going to try though.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #30
30 Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Grump View Post
Love that look.

How has the floor held up? How's the maintenance?
Here we are talking about acid stain on concrete with a clear sealer over it.
Acid stain is only the color, the sealer is a different component.
The color lasts forever, it is burned into the concrete with metal as the colorant. Although copper based colors,(blues) will fade and darken in direct sunlight, the others are stable. The clear has to be special to penetrate the concrete to leave that 'Wet" look. The finish may have to be re coated periodically depending upon the traffic.
I have acid stained floors in my wood working shop, and where I stand in spots continuously will wear eventually. When recoating it actually melts back to itself and leaves a seamless transition as it is xylene based solvent polymers.
There may be an epoxy coating that will work on top of the initial coat lengthening it's life. There are coatings to go over acid stain that are made to be driven on.
30 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #31
SeaSlugs

The only thing I know is whatever my storage unit concrete is coated with is NOT impervious to brake cleaner.... turned the coating into a gummy mess will it dried again...
Old 05-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #32
Keith True

My hobby garage is mostly in the cellar.When I poured that floor I mixed up some red concrete dye in a milk jug and sprinkled it on as I ran the power trowel over it.I quit just after the floor was smooth,but not yet slick.In my big garage an insurance guy was looking at it years ago,he scuffed the floor with his shoe and said you're OK here.I asked him what he meant,he said he was checking the floor texture.Seems like they didn't like slick concrete floors.He then told me about some beautiful shops he had checked out that he had to tell them to abrade the floors to keep coverage.It wasn't slip and fall problems for the customers,it was for the workmans comp people.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #33
RawhideKid
BANNED

I would suggest looking at one of the large discount stores with a sealed concrete floor. They not only need to keep it clean, and you know they get spills, they need to keep it slip proof for the insurance.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote