Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Maclab58

Default oil leak

HELP! I just got my 28 AR sports coupe running. It really runs pretty good but when i turn it off it pours oil out of the back of the block. assume that this is caused by a faulty rear seal. the car had set up for 12 years when i bought it but had been restored 30 years ago. When I replaced the valve cover gasket I found 6-8 pipe cleaners stuffed down the rear oil drain hole which i think drains into the rear crank journal. Can the rear seal be replaced with the engine in the car? This is my first Model A and I dont have a clue as to what is the easiest fix and I dont want to screw it up.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: oil leak

There is no rear main seal. There is a cork gasket that sits on top of the rear main cap to seal the rear edge of the pan. That could be your problem. Yes you can change that in the car.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
MAG

You are correct that the pipe cleaners were blocking the oil supply to the rear main. And evidently they were installed in an attempt to stop the oil leak. My suggestion would be to remove the pan and check to see that the rear main oil drain pipe is intact anf not plugged. There could be other sources for the leak such as the gasket between the engine block and the flywheel housing. But, start with the more simple things first.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Glenn C.

The rear main labrinth seal can not be replaced with the engine in the car, or at least without a lot of difficulty. Babbit thrust face may be broke away also. With the vehicle secured and elevated on proper stands, you might slide under from the front, with the engine running and take a look. Maybe if needed, removce the flywheel housing cover and check to see if the oil problem is from the inside. If the oil seems to be coming from between the flywheel housing and the engine block, then it is for sure the gasket is leaking, or the cork gasket between the pan and rear main.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

here's a good treatise on the rear main leak

http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/REARMAINLEAK.html
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
captaincorley

Great help here! Thanks
captaincorley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
50B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
HELP! I just got my 28 AR sports coupe running. It really runs pretty good but when i turn it off it pours oil out of the back of the block. assume that this is caused by a faulty rear seal. the car had set up for 12 years when i bought it but had been restored 30 years ago. When I replaced the valve cover gasket I found 6-8 pipe cleaners stuffed down the rear oil drain hole which i think drains into the rear crank journal. Can the rear seal be replaced with the engine in the car? This is my first Model A and I dont have a clue as to what is the easiest fix and I dont want to screw it up.
The correct name for your car is SPORT COUPE not SPORTS drop the S. please look it up.
50B
50B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50B View Post
The correct name for your car is SPORT COUPE not SPORTS drop the S. please look it up.
50B
Your very first post on this site and it has to be about the letter s at the end of a word? Then you have to add the jab "look it up"?