Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
james heider

Default Replacing the top on a Vicky leatherback

I have a 1931 Leatherback Vicky that will need to have the top replaced as part of the restoration.
I read an article that was published in the Victoria association newsletter years ago, where someone recommended replacing the chicken wire with a full sheet of sheetmetal. The purpose was to keep the wind from blowing the fabric top up like a baloon when going down the road with the windows open. Has anyone replaced the chicken wire with sheetmetal and then put the top material over it, Coupe, sedan etc. and any drawbacks?

Thanks
Jim
james heider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
jrelliott

Default Re: Replacing the top on a Vicky leatherback

On my '28 Leatherback used 1/8" baltic birch instead of the chicken wire. Made the covering to just fit within the area where the chicken wire went. Had to splice two sheets togather to get the full length. Used 1/2" #4 flat head screws that I countersunk the heads into the plywood placing the holes about every 2"s. Was able to insulate the underside then for sound and comfort. Coated the topside of the plywood with 3 coats of Marine Varnish to make waterproof before putting on the top material.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
james heider

JR,

Thanks for the reply.

Jim
james heider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by james heider View Post
I have a 1931 Leatherback Vicky that will need to have the top replaced as part of the restoration.
I read an article that was published in the Victoria association newsletter years ago, where someone recommended replacing the chicken wire with a full sheet of sheetmetal. The purpose was to keep the wind from blowing the fabric top up like a baloon when going down the road with the windows open. Has anyone replaced the chicken wire with sheetmetal and then put the top material over it, Coupe, sedan etc. and any drawbacks?

Thanks
Jim
Never seen an A with the top blown up like a balloon with the windows open, and since none of the passenger cars came with a steel insert (hate to see what would happen in a roll over) or plywood insert something is wrong if a car roof does balloon.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

I have a 31 leatherback it does not blow up at 50 mph, but when towing it i do see the roof ripple in the wind at 70 mph,
I was behind someone towing the Vicky but never did it blow up like a balloon
allen is offline   Reply With Quote