Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #1
HenryCarl

Default gear shift knob/ball

My '35 coupe didn't have a floor mat. That's part of a larger story. I bought a new rubber replacement and decided to add the gear shift boot/gasket. How do I get it on? I thought I'd slip it over the gear lever after removing the knob/ball.

I tried to unscrew the knob/ball (well protected with fabric and sponge) but it didn't budge, using a long handled tongue and groove pliers. Rotating counter clockwise, like unscrewing a light bulb.

Didn't move. Any ideas, anyone? Thank you.
HenryCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:53 PM   #2
JHFORD51

Default Re: gear shift knob/ball

if you purchased what vendors sell as a shift tower cover (big tan or black boot) be aware that no floorshift FORD ever came with those. That is a 39 Mercury item. Your cast iron shift tower and pressed steel shift tower cap sould be visible though floormat to be correct.

Your shift knob should unscrew counter clockwise just as you are doing. Threads might be rusted up. If you are intent on using the rubber boot and can't get the shift knob off, you can always remove the entire shift lever from the shift tower--just be extra careful to not let the alignment pin fall down into the transmission.
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCarl View Post
My '35 coupe didn't have a floor mat. That's part of a larger story. I bought a new rubber replacement and decided to add the gear shift boot/gasket. How do I get it on? I thought I'd slip it over the gear lever after removing the knob/ball.

I tried to unscrew the knob/ball (well protected with fabric and sponge) but it didn't budge, using a long handled tongue and groove pliers. Rotating counter clockwise, like unscrewing a light bulb.

Didn't move. Any ideas, anyone? Thank you.
You might consider using a strap wrench to remove that shift knob, preferably one with a leather or rubber strap to prevent scarring the plastic knob.
It's possible those threads are rusted, or maybe someone has used Loctite on the threads to keep the shift knob tight on the lever.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
RKS.PA

John's suggestion of using a strap wrench is excellent...you don't want to mar the knob. Keep at it, it will come off turning counter clockwise. Craftsman used to make a rubber adjustable strap wrench. Might try going clockwise carefully first to see if you can get it to budge.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
HenryCarl

Thank you all...I think I'll try and sell the shift tower cover. It seemed as a nice finishing touch...all the covers on sale in catalogues (paper and on line) offer it for the '35. Perhaps there's a business opportunity for a parts supplier to only offer what's correct for the years being searched. Jim
HenryCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCarl View Post
Thank you all...I think I'll try and sell the shift tower cover. It seemed as a nice finishing touch...all the covers on sale in catalogues (paper and on line) offer it for the '35. Perhaps there's a business opportunity for a parts supplier to only offer what's correct for the years being searched. Jim
If you are not building a high point show car, there is no reason why you can't use that rubber shifter top cover. It may help seal that opening in the steel sheet metal transmission cover, and also prevent the grease that tends to builds up on top of the shifter from getting on someones clothing, or other items placed on or near the top of shifter.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #7
vangorde

Is there a lock nut at the base of the knob that needs to be loosened first?
vangorde is offline   Reply With Quote