Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #1
Frank Miller

Default where is this all going

Please do not get political on this post. I know it is a fine line but refrain from bashing politicians or policies. Not my intent or something I need help with.
As a result of the world's current status it looks like it will be a sparse year for car shows again. One I am involved with is considering suspending a show this year because of uncertainty. Right now is when we start with our mailings. I voted to not go forward for several reasons partly because even if we can do it participation will be down.

The western meet is canceled and January is typically when the Hershey spots must be reserved.

Two years in a row without our show and no meetings to attract new members could deep six it as a result of lack of help. I can really see a scenario signaling the demise of some clubs due to lack of meetings, especially where participation can be hard to come by.
I personally have refrained from associating with some people because I'm afraid of putting them in fear. I'm lucky I have a pretty good circle but it sure has gone downhill this year and I'm not sure how easy we can go up.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: where is this all going

I am totally disappointed in the way we are being led astray by our supposed experts. We can't hide forever.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
fordwife

Well said.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Something to pass the time from Down Under, where it is is Summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN3sO7sYmdc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8gzeGPVuXU
Old 12-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
flatford8

My thoughts go out to those in your position Frank. You have to invest time and money to get ready for what might not happen. All the clubs and organizations that hold or sponsor events had a very difficult job this year, let alone the uncertainty of next year. I think I can speak for a lot of people, we support the clubs decision either way. I heard the comment when this all started that this virus will “reset the world”. I feel it’s a very true statement.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 12-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
19Fordy

It's great that the folks in "Down Under" have not gone asunder.

Old car insurance companies must be having a good financial year as fewer folks are 'on the road".
Old 12-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
34pickup

All I can say is hang in there. There are vaccines and Americans are resilient.
Matt 24:36-41
Old 12-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

I was thinking the same thing about Hershey. I sincerely hope the AACA is able to remain optimistic about the what the situation will be in October '21 (10 months from now) and still plan to hold the event.

This may sound selfish, but I think we can all use it after dealing with all of this.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #9
JT FORD

We decided to not charge dues for our local AACA club in 2021. With no activity last year we had plenty of money. I figure 2020 was the year that wasn't! I am hoping that by June things will get a little more like normal. If its still raging I will travel more
with the old cars. Don't have to many years before hanging it up..............
Old 12-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
al's28/33

This is where the internet becomes a necessity in order to keep enthusiasm and awareness alive. Use the money reserves that didn't get spent on shows and events to create mailings and email blasts to existing club members to let them know the hobby is not dead. That or a dozen volunteers to make phone calls and rally members to plan meetings in late 2021.

Did I miss your intent ???
Old 12-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #11
Baggs

Tough to step around an issue like this. But I don't think politics should be in play, just safety
Old 12-22-2020, 01:42 AM   #12
Tinker

I think it'll be like the early 1920s after the spanish flu and ww1. Things are going to get exciting and fun. So hang on and be safe. It's coming quicker thanks to science! Lets hope it doesn't lead to the late 30s though. All things pass, this will to. Glass half full guy. But my thoughts are we should build up microwave weapons and figure out how to create an infrastructure independent of the internet on a military basis or at least more independent and not dependent. Back to the basics. Stop listening to everyone telling us what is true on tv and the internet on either side and watch. As we fall away from this current magpie. But like I said glass half full.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-22-2020 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:45 AM   #13
Tinker

This is not political. We are a republic of all. All beliefs, all races. No where more diverse. We have the ability to every corner of the earth, if we let it. But maybe we can all get along.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-22-2020 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
Charlie ny
BANNED

Frank,
Merry Christmas dear friend......no Hershey, try Carlisle right next door to Hershey, We are signed up for Dunkirk in May '21 they kept our fee and spots from
canceled '20. If '21 won't work we'll wait till '22. Zero slow down in the shop and I'm
encouraged by the number of 40 to 50 year old guys that contact me. Thanks primarily to THE BARN our V8's will continue to thrive...that's my take.....
Charlie ny
Old 12-22-2020, 08:34 AM   #15
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Frank,
Merry Christmas dear friend......no Hershey, try Carlisle right next door to Hershey, We are signed up for Dunkirk in May '21 they kept our fee and spots from
canceled '20. If '21 won't work we'll wait till '22. Zero slow down in the shop and I'm
encouraged by the number of 40 to 50 year old guys that contact me. Thanks primarily to THE BARN our V8's will continue to thrive...that's my take.....
Charlie ny
Merry Christmas to you and Alice.

Thanks everyone else for your responses. Hope you all have a good holiday.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Frank,
Charlie ny
Proud to say I'm one of the brand new to the 5-0 group this month. Besides my eyesight which is getting bad, I don't feel a day over 49. LOL!
Old 12-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
Seth Swoboda

Frank,

I agree. It's going to be hard for some regional groups, local car clubs and the national EFV8 Club. Not having a EFV8 meet for two years is serious disappointment. I do understand why there haven't been any meets, however.

I can tell you when EFV8 club meets resume, I'll be more ready than ever to see all my friends again. I just hope there are enough volunteers ready to go with the passion to continue the national meets.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #18
Corn Fed

I think once this all clears (this summer?) the flood gates of people wanting to attend events and do vacations is going to be overwhelming. So I optimistically think if you want to travel anywhere you should make your reservations now. Obviously some shows won't be going because as discussed, planning needs to happen now. But there will be those that do and those will be swamped.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #19
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I think it'll be like the early 1920s after the spanish flu and ww1. Things are going to get exciting and fun. So hang on and be safe. It's coming quicker thanks to science! Lets hope it doesn't lead to the late 30s though. All things pass, this will to. Glass half full guy. But my thoughts are we should build up microwave weapons and figure out how to create an infrastructure independent of the internet on a military basis or at least more independent and not dependent. Back to the basics. Stop listening to everyone telling us what is true on tv and the internet on either side and watch. As we fall away from this current magpie. But like I said glass half full.
With 18,000,000 cases and 328,000 deaths this is a legitimate concern. In my opinion this is not exciting or fun and you had better take major precautions . If you don’t listen to television or the internet you could be a future statistic in either category. This is no joking matter.n
Old 12-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #20
Ron Pilger

We've had Covid in our family and trust me it's not good. Those who downplay this pandemic will rapidly get a dose of reality once this bug bites them directly. It's always someone else's problem until it becomes YOURS, then the rubber really hits the road in quick fashion. A friend (69 years young), in absolutely perfect health succumbed this week, too. Died without a family member able to see him go. Car show? Who gives a rat's a!!!.
Closed Thread