Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #21
TJ

Default Re: another one bites the dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpmmp View Post
Would be interesting how many on this forum can look in the mirror and actually say that they never ever ruin or change a car from its original condition!! (I can't)Pete
Amen to that Pete. How many have put hydraulic brakes on a car that came stock with mechanical brakes, or an 8BA motor in a car that came with a 59AB or earlier motor. They then tell us that it improved the drivability of the car. Once you start making changes from stock it doesn't matter where you stop. It's no longer stock. Once people own an item, it's theirs to do whatever they want with it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #22
Hoop

DollyParton2.jpg

Last edited by Hoop; 01-23-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #23
Ryan
Administrator

Good job guys! Lots of opinions... and no one is calling people names!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #24
rockfla

Hoop
we are talking about 59AB's and 8BA's not 56DDD's....Lol!! "Some" changes are all about perspective....we could ALL sit here and argue the platitudes of "original" this and "correct" that and granted and 8BA in a pre 49 Ford to a lot of us is "taboo" (so to speak-in the world of Originality) BUT at least it is the correct form and not a SBC......I think the majority here object to the SBC, Turbo 400, Ford 9" and booby pink paint!!!!!
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #25
J Witt

I agree with Pete. Look at the number of posts on the forum requesting info on various mods to the cars and engines. Everything from engine swaps to multi carbs, add-on electric fuel pumps and hydraulic brakes. Probably the most common of all is an alternator and conversion to 12V electrics. Don't forget incorrect colors! You can easily see where the trend is headed, there are fewer and fewer authentic restorations being done.

We all draw a line somewhere about what we would or wouldn't do in departures from a strict restoration. Have a look at the number of '36 phaetons for sale out there and try to find even one that hasn't been modified in some way, but is still touted as a "restoration". If you are a strict restoration guy, it'll drive you nuts.

John
Old 01-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #26
deuce_roadster

I don't get too wound up over changes that can be undone. I have 1 Dearborn award car, the rest are flathead powered drivers but all the others could be restored if someone wanted to. The windshield frame and repro top on my roadster could be easily swapped back as well as the chassis. None of my cars are chopped or channeled, or pro-streeted or changed in a way that would be too expensive or hard to put back to stock.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #27
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Somehow .... the more I think about it, the creepier it gets.

Attachment 301100

It costs a lot of money to look this cheap. - Dolly Parton
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #28
TagMan

Look at it this way - if a stocker gets cut up, it's one less on the market, which theoretically makes the ones left, more valuable..........or so it seems.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #29
TonyM

Yeah, "Original Henry Steel" but the rest of it is GM and Pinto.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #30
Cody_1948

Gave the seller of the 34 a call, I asked him few things, At first I though the add was selling the whole car as a roller and body(Was at work and just looked over this post and His add real fast, How ever he did say that he's indeed making a hotrod out of it, I asked about the title going with the matching frame and he told me it was not, Since the title he thinks is worth the same or more then just the running gear itself.. As the title will be used with the body for his "hot rod" I said thanks for your time and hung up.

Kinda sad in the way. But its his car after all. As for some of you guys saying younger guys don't care about all stock cars or trucks anymore (I'm 27) and I myself love stock as much as it can get.. I got few friends my age who think the same way... I think the big down fall anymore. is that if you do a stock car the parts alone is a big killer for younger guys. Also I know from going to a few car shows. some of the older guys don't seam to care to talk to younger guys about cars or trucks. I had it happen to myself few times. where they just don't want to take the time. so now at car shows I just keep to myself look the cars and trucks over and keep walking..
I just cant wait to pull my all stock 1948 F1 into the show maybe then ill get them guys to talk to me.

Cya Guys later !
Cody_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #31
cas3

good post cody, best of luck with your 48 pickup. i'm sorry you feel the older guys brush you younger folks off, its too bad if its a fact. you guys will be the next care takers of this stuff when we are toes up. really you will find that most 32-34 owners are old guys because lets face it, THAT STUFF IS EXPENSIVE !! this car we are talking about had to be 40k plus, more if its a 3w, and how many young people can spend that kind of money and then tear it apart? i have always felt that if you start with a gutted out wreck, then do your thing what ever it is. but even though i like old time hotrods, i could never chop-channel, or put a ferrari chassis and a 600hp hemi in a restored car! well, thats me i guess. current project is a 34 3w that will look like a kids jalopy in 1950, and when i'm gone it can be easily restored to original, or hacked up, who ever is the lucky buyer
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #32
jimTN

Lots of good comments here and I would like to point out a important point. Seems like most all of us that have been playing with old Fords have modded, raced and otherwise done damage to them at some time but in those days they were plentiful. The goal was to outrun other cars and the law and those cars were reasonably safe. A fordor was considered a parts car even if it was pristine. Today is a different story. It hurts to see a good percentage of these cars just destroyed by people who do not have the ability, start and never finish. Usually some of the parts find their way to good use but usually the bodies and frames are lost for good. Still, our cars are worth more in the end. Good point above about personal taste and style. It does appear that there is a trend at any given time for certain colors, equipment and engineering that does not hold over a period of years.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #33
Graeme / New Zealand

Good on you Cody i'm an "old guy" about to turn 60" ( young compared to some on this site) I'll talk to anyone who wants to talk flatheads. It's "young" guys like you who will the "saviours" of our cars in times to come.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #34
itsa52

I missed the add, but I always wonder if you update an old car to be like a new one, do you have an old car that drives like a new one, or a new car that looks like an old one.
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #35
cas3

i believe this is the same car. change of heart? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Ford-Ot...AAAOSw241Ygllg
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #36
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i believe this is the same car. change of heart? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Ford-Ot...AAAOSw241Ygllg
It would be a shame to mess that car up.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #37
40grit

I think we had this same conversation in 1972. And how many times since? It does not appear any of us have ever changed any bodies mind.

To each his own. It's all good!

John
Old 01-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #38
Vanspeed

Probably a change of heart. My '29 coupe was also going down this path. I already had a 302, c4 and early bronco rear for mine before it was delivered but when it showed up and I actually got to see the condition of it, I changed my mind and decided to only do bolt on stuff. It is still in the same condition to this day. I have built other cars since but for some reason my '29 just speaks to me. I do not hate the guy for what he wanted to do. I would love a bone stock looking 34 that could drive and brake on modern highways.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #39
alanwoodieman

love to talk flatheads with any age person--male or female!! young guys around here call me " flathead " because I drive them all the time. went to auto parts store the other day driving a modern car-they told me to go home and come back with one of my flatheads!!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #40
Bob/Pa

ditto "PETE" I got my 34 in1952, at that time every one was rodding them for dragging, etc. I started hotroding it, but army, marriage, 3 kids caused me to store until 1998 when I retired and I finally finished as a street rod, 289 engine, brakes, etc. body still original and guess what my grandchildren are all in line waiting for it.
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote