Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
SJ13

Default @ my wits end

I have encountered an inset screw{allen head} that I can't seem to conquer it is rounded and the said wrench won't budge it I've tried filing down the corners a bit to try and get it to fit further down inside I also filed down a flat screwdriver to fit down inside also but had no luck with either, since this is an inset screw on the chromed mirror I am hesitant of drilling it, any suggestions from you Guru's out there would be greatly appreciated
SJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
SSsssteamer

Default Re: @ my wits end

Use a left hand drill bit with a left hand direction electric drill. Use cutting oil and a slow speed as the allen head is hardened. If it doesn't come out with the left hand drill bit after breaking out through the bottom, then use an easy out on what is left. If all of that fails, then drill out what is left with a clearance drill for the size of allen head screw that was used. After that, with a scribe , pick out what is left of the old set screw threads. The success of this is dependent on how hard the allen head set screw is.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
rick55

If you have a rotary tool such as a Dremel you may be able to cut a slot deep enough to use a screwdriver. I have never had much luck drilling Allen head cap screws due to their hardness but a lot of stuff out of China these days has them as a suggestion of quality and they are as soft as butter. You can actually strip them while you are assembling sometimes.

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
smtichy

I recently conquered one of these, it was a brass bolt (lawn furniture) it still had some part of the hexagonal corners intact so I was able to insert a snug fitting Torx driver (with the help of a hammer) into it. It got it out.

'55 Sunliner - 292 V8, 3 speed man. w/ OD
ČKMAA - Český klub majitelů amerických automobilů
smtichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Ole Don

When you put it together again, use liberal amounts of anti seize. Its dirty icky stuff to deal with. But if you keep the car, you will be happy you used it, and if you sell the car, the next guy will thank you. I use the Permatex brand, and for some things I use motor oil mixed 50/50 with STP.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
jsprengeler

Don't forget "generous amounts of preferred alcocoholic intake" on the part of the mechanic involved.....
Old 01-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
Ole Don

Alcoholic beverages seem to make for sticky tools, smeared with blood. I just hate that.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
rick55

The alcohol also makes for blurred vision and a sore head from forgetting to duck whilst walking under the four post hoist. Geez I hate that!

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 AM   #9
Diavolo

There are a couple of options I have used with great success. I usually attack this problem in this order.

1. Spray deep creep all over it and leave it overnight if I can.
2. Use a Torx bit that will barely fit the hole. Torx are slightly tapered and will interference fit a loose allen hole. If you can, tapping the bit into the hole to "make it fit" will also help to loosen the rust that's holding the screw in as well.

if that doesn't work and/or it strips it out, then

3. Use a screw extractor like the brand name "Speed out" I have a HF set. I prefer the swirly end that looks like a cone. So far I've not had to go farther than that, but the next step would be to drill it through to get it out.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
SJ13

Success @ last I finally got the mirror off the car and got it taken apart ... new dilemma has arisen tried heat gun and also baking in oven @ 250 for a few hours in hopes of simply dropping out or with minimal prying ... trying to remove because roller ball for adjustments is worn and mirror flops was in hopes in getting it out and tuning it up ... hints or tips accepted
SJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote